Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

headlight and tail light fab

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 camaro
Engine: 3.4
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: limited slip posi 3.42
headlight and tail light fab

thinking of making up my own lights with plexi glass just woundering if anyone else has either done this or heard of it b4 the front's shyouldn't be hard just the rear with the bend i'll have to like heat it and bend it or something. Basically white out lights but home made cause i just wanna try it with this plexi glass i got.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:01 PM

Car: transam, el camino
Engine: 415
Transmission: T56
Use the search, there's a couple of posts out there. There's pic's of some nice looking custom headlight covers, you'll see my attempt at headlight covers as well.

My best advise is to forget about using that plexiglass and pick up some lexan, lexan doesn't break when you cut, drill, or look at it funny like plexi. Lexan can be bent or shaped easily. it's also expensive, call some auto glass or custom window shops most places will give you a deal on scrap pieces or generic brand polycarbonate instead of paying for just a name.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:58 AM

Car: 88 camaro
Engine: 3.4
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: limited slip posi 3.42
actually i checked the posts already and i was looking at ur car inperticular actually and i was really amazed by the custom work on it i actually had to show my bro that one. But thanks a bunch for the advice that's exactly what i was looking for.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Car: transam, el camino
Engine: 415
Transmission: T56
Thanks for the support on my project. It's still pretty rough, pictures can be decieving since I usually pick the better shots to post up. It's coming along well enough, the sunfire lights are aftermarket junk. I'll end up making my own brackets to adjust for height and actually hold them on the car. They use some cheap plastic mounting tabs which I've been holding together with zip ties. Actually, my whole car is held together with zipties, pop rivets, duct tape, and self tapping screws. ;-) Well it's not that bad, I just don't take the hobbie as seriously as some I guess! anyway..

Lexan is deffinately the way to go, you could bend it to make the covers without using heat. I'd use some thicker stuff like 1/4" though 1/8" might allow more light to pass thru? Experiment with the plexi glass first since you already have it. I think you'll find it too hard to work with. Just don't go too far as I have done on occasion, no matter how nice the sunfire headlights will eventually turnout, I wouldn't do it again and in a couple years it might be out of style. Maybe it's not in style now.

It would be nice to have the option of changing back to flip up's if you ever decided to sell or wanted the old look back, there's something to be said for just unbolting your covers and putting the original stuff back on. I don't ever plan on selling and i kind of like the WTF questions and comments. If I ever get tired of it I could put a one piece camaro frontend on it pretty easy, that would cure the headlight mounting and half the car would look normal again. I'd reccommend spending a little bit more time thinking through modifications that require cutting or hacking though, I look back and see how I should have done things better with just a bit more planning. All talk doesn't get anything accomplished on the other hand, I think I'm starting to ramble now. Have fun and take pics' along the way! -Ben

Last edited by 1983Fbody; 11-13-2006 at 06:22 PM.