Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Tig vs. Mig.... ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' Camaro
Engine: 383 ci
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt / 3:70
Tig vs. Mig.... ?

I have never used a TIG welder before, so I am very unfamiliar with them. I do have access to one and someone that will teach me to use it. Do they create more or less heat than a MIG? I am wanting to have new brackets welded to my axle, but am concerned how much heat may go into it possibly warping the rear slightly...Is this the case? Thanks for any help.

Jason
Old 11-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: Magnacharged LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 4:11's
Are you talking about relocation brackets? I wouldn't worry too much about warping the axle tubes. You could tig weld them...it would look much neater, but mig welding them will work fine.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 05' GTO
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: A4
mig will be the best ifthe axel is still in the car. if its out and u want nice welds then use the tig and plus theres no sparks.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91' Camaro
Engine: 383 ci
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt / 3:70
Originally posted by 406TPI
Are you talking about relocation brackets? I wouldn't worry too much about warping the axle tubes. You could tig weld them...it would look much neater, but mig welding them will work fine.
This is actually another rear for another vehicle I am talking about. I welded my relocation brackets with a MIG on my Camaro, but this axle is going in my Yukon, so it needs to be strong, not that MIG is not, but I want it to be the best possible.

Jason

Last edited by RU-QWIK; 11-17-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:38 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tig or GTAW is among the highest heat imput arc welding process mig or GMAW is among the lowest
Old 11-18-2004, 04:44 PM

Car: Camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: th-350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 welded
TIG produces the strongest weld though you have to look at that point also
Old 11-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Weld strength in this case will depend more on proper filler selection and technique rather then process… a properly done MIG bead will be just as strong as a proper TIG bead.

WRT to heat added to the housing during the weld… MIG should be the lowest with full penetration (zip through it, get it done in 1/3 the time that it will take a TIG).

OTOH, if you’re actually welding to an axle tube I strongly suggest that you take it, jig it up and check that it’s straight after you’re done (heat shrink the “long side” to get it straight), since any welds will cause the tube to bend/shrink.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:59 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by xaivior
you don't know much if anything about welding do you?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Wrong.

A good welder will be able to create just as strong a weld using any process. It's all about heat settings, filler material, and skill.

TIG tends to burn hotter for the simple fact that there aren't any 110 units (that I know of). TIG welders are 220 units capable of higher heat settings and usually have an AC setting as well.

Also, TIG welding is a slower process, so you have heat to the piece being welded longer than you do with a MIG, allowing the part to absorb more heat, another reason why it's a higher temperature processs.

I would TIG weld it if I had access, but just because I can create a better looking bead with a TIG welder, and you have more control. But that is my personal preference.

Mathius
Old 11-20-2004, 06:13 PM

well f&$* me running!

Sorry if I was wrong but I am just going by what I was told by a man that has been welding practically his whole life and has certification galore so pardon me if I was wrong

SO I would like you to look at this page it seems it says that the tig process produces the Highest quality welds

miller says it does too?
Old 11-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Supreme Member

well f&$* me running!

Sorry if I was wrong but I am just going by what I was told by a man that has been welding practically his whole life and has certification galore so pardon me if I was wrong

SO I would like you to look at this page it seems it says that the tig process produces the Highest quality welds

miller says it does too?
Yeah, I read it. It says "highest quality and most precise welds" It doesn't say the strongest welds.

A TIG torch has a much smaller area of concentration and in most cases can get into places a lot easier than the other processes. This allows it to be a more precise process. It also can produce a smaller bead because you're using a foot pedal to control the heat output and concentrate the weld only where you want it.

Quality doesn't mean strong.
Precise doesn't mean strong.

There's a difference between ignorance, and idiocy. You shouldn't take offense everytime someone corrects you.

I'm not calling you an idiot because you don't have the correct information.

I'm saying you're ignorant of this topic. You're giving false information. I'm correcting you to both teach you the correct information, and to prevent you from giving false information, which is harmful to everyone else trying to learn from this.

Mathius
Old 11-22-2004, 10:20 AM

I didnt take offense to it I was just going by what I was told by this guy ...... think about it ..if you didnt know a whole lot about tig welding and someone whos been welding for a long time told you this ..what would you belive? Im not saying you called me an idiot never said that, maybe I should have worded my last post alittle diffrently