Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

V6 duel plenum

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
V6 duel plenum

Now I have been thinking about how I should build a new plenum and have found a working model.
Here is a picture of my friends car, it is a twin turbo 300Z. It is a DOHC 60*-V6 Nissan engine of some kind and about the size of one of our V6's.
I am looking to build some thing that looks like that (plenum).
Now the V6 heads on our cars arn't that great but I ported mine out, the intake manifold is ok. The intake manifold can go a long way I think if it is ported right and fed by a good plenum.
What I was looking at doing was to build a duel long tube runner plenum. Like whats in the picture.
Problems are I need to use the stock fuel rail with the plenum, 2 of the runners on each side are to close to get a welder in there to weld the plenum runners to the base plate, i will most likey have to make it out of steel.
I will have to make it go over the valve cover and under the fuel rail.
I wanted to keep the runner round up near the tb and have it square out as it nears the intake manifold port.
I will need to add one more tool to my collection, a metal chop saw. Mainly so I can get a good flat cut at the end of the runner to the base plate.
After a year of looking I found a place to buy Argon here in japan.
I had to BUY a new 7,000 m3 gas cylinder ($400) have it filled with argon about $100 there and I had buy a gas flow regulator that would screw into a metric gas cylinder for another 150 U.S.$.
My old regulator dosen't fit a japinese gas bottel.
It will be over kill shealding for mild steel but will be cheaper than buying another gas bottle.
7,000 m3 of argon sould let me weld for over 3hr straight untill I run out so in the next year and a half I think I will only get it filled maybe 2 more times.
It will take over a month for me to get my bottel, it has to be made first. So when I say new it will be realy new. Right now Japan is suffering a steel shortage, bad for me .
Now do you think I can get those runners to go under the fuel rail, over the valve covers and fit under the hood?
What size tb's should I use? Do you think a 52mm would be big enough to feed 3 cylinders under boost?
How about duel 75mm's (to much may be)?
I don't think the engine will run out of air at 4500 rpm's with this one.
Attached Thumbnails V6 duel plenum-mvc-010s.jpg  
Old 09-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Funny, I had mocked one up for the TPI using runners cut in half and sitting the plenums on those. Never did get around to finishing it. :shrug:
Old 09-16-2004, 02:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

That one is a 60* Fiero.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
I assume the lower sectoin was ported well but its just two round fart cans welded to the stock lower. Search around and you may find the url for the site and the detailed info. I am sure I saved a copy of the page but can't find it.

Post the url if you find it. It has to be on a fiero site.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I have seen that fero manifold several times.
I hate that lower plenum it is crap.
Hope fully I can make the next V6 intake manifold icon, to be passed around.
It's funny I was working on the single 75mm tonight and want to build a duel plenum one also.
I guess I will have a shoot out between the 2 and sell the loser.