Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

home made high flow cat!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 01:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
home made high flow cat!!

you asked for it. and here it is!!! the straight piped cat!!

ok so i let it get to my head.
If your wanting to do this yourself, it IS possible with the stock cat, at least i think. all you need is to get the cat off, which can be a task, but its ok you can tear up the side of the cat that attaches to the y-pipe pretty bad if you want to, cause you'l be cutting off alot of it.

And then you just stick the right sized exhaust pipe from autozone in the top, that u cut, and put a piece of wood on top, and hammer like crazey to push the new pipe into the cat, it really helps to use some WD-40 or something like that to help it slide down, as you are putting a 3" pipe with a tappered end into a 3" pipe, you could also try heating up the cat, but lube works just as good. after alot of hitting and banging it goes it pretty easy, and the best part is that the y-pipe end of the cat is New, since its larger and wont fit in, so the y-pipe will fit in perfectly. (see the pic)

i haven't put it on yet, as im still installing my headers etc. but ill let yall know how it sounds..

Old 03-17-2002, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take it you dont have sniffer tests.
Old 03-17-2002, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actualy i do. but its passed every other time without a working cat
Old 03-17-2002, 08:09 PM

You hillbilly. j/k

Its alot cheaper than replacing the old ones. I just cut mine off and threw them away. Of course no one looks to see if I have them though. Actually I have two random technology cats sitting in my garage. I just can't find a muffler shop talented enough to install them.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:08 PM

I did the same thing you did last year to my cat. It made the car so loud I think I am going to put a new cat on just to make the sound level more reasonable. Its not that I do not like it loud, but I have reached the point that after hearing it for over half hour on the freeway it REALLY gets anoying. By the way the rest of my exhaust is a 3" cat back to a 80 series flowmaster muffler