Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

borla cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
borla cat back?

i am looking at getting a cat back system. i have the money for the borla and i was just wondering how it sounds on a third gen. i am aware that the hooker is the best performance for the money, but it doesnt look as good as the borla, probably doesnt sound as good either. i would just like to know if anyone has it and do they like how it sounds?
Old 03-11-2002, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: currently thirdgenless!!!
I have had the Borla cat-back on mine for about a month now and I like it quite a bit. It looks great with the twin tail pipes on each side.

The sound it pretty mellow at idle (just a little louder than stock) but gives a nice deep growl when you get on the gas.

You can change the sound by changing the restriction size on plates they will give you. The smaller the opening the more exhaust gets routed through the muffler. Making it quieter. Or you can run it with the largest plate for a louder sound.

Unfortunately I do not have a .wav files you can listen to. Sorry.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it.

Bill
Old 03-13-2002, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
I'm glad someone had a good time with their Borla system..I wanted Borla on my car after seeing thier pipes on all the 4-th gens. I was discusted to find out that Borla didn't take us thirdgeners as seriously as the 4-th gens. I knew this because when I opened my $600 box of stainless steel exaust,it didn't come in a 2 piece easy to install setup like the fourth gens either,it was a twisted decrepit jumble of parts that wouldn't even fit on my car!! don't call me a retard either,I know how to hang an exaust system. although this one was strangely complex for an exaust system,it wasn't hard to install,believe me, this wasn't going on my car. I had to pay $150 to have it custom cut and re-welded to fit under my car,welded the whole thing because clamps WILL leak. ofcourse,you can't weld anything onto your car until it's strait!!

Leave Borla alone, put them out of business!!! they are so worhtless...of course i still have them,but no credit to borla, my Borla's were basically nothing more then SCRAP PIECES that a gifted gentlemen at the muffler shop skillfully made into a real system. screw Borla!!!!!!!!! thier customer service S U C K S !!!!,nothing but excuses

tell everone borla is a waste of money, random technologies and SLP makes good stainless steel sytems,check them out if you want to shell out some $$$ .....at least they care about quality.

take this to the top (TTT) every day,let everyone here know what a piece of JUNK Borla really is. glad some people are happy with them,but do you really want to take the gamble??
Old 03-13-2002, 08:46 PM

i would go with SLP if i was you, it is a whole lot cheaper then Borla.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:36 AM
Supreme Member

I want to hear from everyone who has had bad experiences with Borla,not the good,only the bad!! good experiences are good,good for you! no company deserves to prophit $$$ off of hardworking car enthuisests like you or me and turn out JUNK crap from their assemly lines!! I know I'm not the only one here,lets hear the Borla horror strories. everyone needs to know that Borla has ilegitimately pocketed a good portion of the $600 I paid Jegs. Jegs has nothing to do with it,so I have no problem with them. Borla needs to know what it's like to be broke and just try to stay in business!!! support your other companies that make stainless systems,same 304 alloy give them the $$ cross Borla off of your list.

Last edited by junkyarddog; 03-14-2002 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:35 AM

Car: 91 Z28 'vert
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I'v had my Borla for 2 and half years now and love it. No fitment problems, no rattles, tips can be brought up to be nice and tight on the bumper, and over all I'm very happy with the sound and performance of it. I like the adjustable plate system on it as well. I like being able to change plates out and tune the sound and performance to my taste. Right now its running wide-open. I would recomemend the Borla and the sound, its just bad-***.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:33 AM

Car: An '87 Italian Retard Out Cruisin'
Engine: LS1 install in progress
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt
I have the Borla catback too for a few years. I started off liking it but now I am begining to hate it as of recently. ( I was in denial after spending all that $$$$). On a stock car its doesnt sound that good. My flowmaster was better sounding. After I added headers it sounded pretty good though.
The fitment really does suck the more I think about it. And for all that money it doesnt connect to the cat it has caused me all sorts of other problems too that would take too long to explain right now.
If you like the idea of changing plates out to alter sound Im sure you could fab something up or have someone do it for you for a lot less than Borla. or just get a cut out.

My recommedation is to stay away from Borla until thay decide to make a system that fits and give me one.. Get something better for 1/2 the price.

Last edited by john5.7 87Iroc; 03-15-2002 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

yep, borla sukz!!! the idea is to stick together guys, if some greedy pig corporate degenerate company treats some of us fairly but screws a few of us over as well, it is EVERYONES duty to tell a company like that to EAT **** !! all of us on these boards, with our thirdgens or any other cars that we like to work with,spend too much time and too much $$$ to have to deal with BS people who just want our money and can't make a decent product for everyone, just a lucky few. we all know that's not right!

BOYCOTT BORLA!!!! JUNK JUNK JUNK !!!
Old 03-27-2002, 11:10 PM

Did somebody forget to take their prozac!! Good gawd!! BTW, the 4th gen borla's DO NOT come in only 2 pieces. There are 6-8 pieces depending on the years.

I have seen many many Borla's installed and helped a few friends install them as well.....not one problem at all. IMO, they are some of the best systems on the market, although the 3rdgen tips do leave a little to be desired. Oh, if Borla doesn't care about their products....whey do they give a million mile warranty?
Old 03-28-2002, 12:19 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac
Originally posted by azvolfan

The sound it pretty mellow at idle (just a little louder than stock) but gives a nice deep growl when you get on the gas.

Yeap check out this thirdgen with a Borla

http://home.earthlink.net/~borlaz06/exhaust1.MPG

I like it

But I dont like it enough to get rid of my Flows
Old 03-28-2002, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
Its OK, no Flowmaster though.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

I'm glad everything worked out for you Dave,personally I don't have the same affection for Borla based on my own experiences with them. with a million mile warranty,it's hard to say that they don't care about their customers,true. how hard is it really,to warranty 304 stainless steel alloy against corrosion?? obviously that worthless warranty doesn't cover workmanship,because after hours of bickering with STEVE over the phone,they did absolutly NOTHING to restore my faith in their company and the $600 box of junk pipe I had bought from them. meanwhile,my friends are laughing at me because I have a $600 rip off system that I can't even get mounted straight on my car,I had to ride around with one tip beause it was so crooked!! ask the man who had to CUT and re-weld the rear and intermeadiate sections to get the two tips and the mid-section to line up under my car correctly,he certainly won't agree that it is a "well made system"....now it is,thanks to his work,no thanks to borla.

it's your money people,do what you want with it.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by David 91RS/Z28
Oh, if Borla doesn't care about their products....whey do they give a million mile warranty?
Who cares? like junkyarddog said its stainless not like its ever going to rust anyway. Im glad your friends systems fit but ours didnt. I have heard more complaints about 3rd gen Borla systems than all the other 3rd gen systems combined and very few of us have the Borla system while there are probably 1000's that have other systems. So what does that tell you? I have also never gotten anywhere with Borla customer service. What a great company.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:01 PM

The Borla sytems for the 3rd or 4th gens are a little tricky to install, but have always come out perfect. My boss at work even takes a freakin level to get the tips lined up perfectly!!!! And they do everytime. No cutting or bending required. Best tip we give people on installation is to loosely fit everything on the car and slowly tighten each clamp while checking for clearence and straightness. Once you've done this a few times...then finally tighten the clamps fully. I've seen a few Borla's hanging pretty nasty before.....it wasn't because of the system....it was because of the installation. We've actually straigtened out a few tailpipes on some customers cars just by loosening up a few parts and making some adjustments.

BTW, there are other stainless exhaust systems out there, Borla is the only one I know of that gives a lifetime warranty. That tells me that they stand behind their product. Sorry you guys had bad luck!

Last edited by David 91RS/Z28; 03-28-2002 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:01 AM

Its not only the poor fitment though, which in the past Borla supposedly addmitted and tried to fix. Its also that its not a complete system. It doesnt connect to the cat. All the other stainless systems do and they dont even need a warranty because they arent going to rust through anyway. Im just trying to say that it is an overpriced, poor fitting ,incomplete system that has caused me and others problems. And for that kind of money this shouldnt be.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

even I'll agree that it is a nice system when it's angles are correct,not all of them came like that though! they make them in batches, I had to wait 12 weeks for them to pump out more 14888 systems. they did admit over the phone that some of them came out f*cked,but still wouldn't help me!! what a great company,well worth my hard earned $600!! after a huricane of customer complaints,they must've wised up and fixed the mandrel machines for the next batch. I bought mine in spring '99, when did you buy yours Dave?

Last edited by junkyarddog; 03-29-2002 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
sound clips

for those of you who want some sound clips, check out this web site www.ftforce.com, im not sure what cars theyre on, but it might help
Old 04-05-2002, 06:51 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Z
Engine: 355 in the works
Transmission: 700R4
Doesn't the Borla setup come with some kind of instructions or something? I'd think that if you follow the directions it couldn't be that hard... or is their system *THAT* f*ked up???
Old 04-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by junkyarddog
I'm glad someone had a good time with their Borla system..I wanted Borla on my car after seeing thier pipes on all the 4-th gens. I was discusted to find out that Borla didn't take us thirdgeners as seriously as the 4-th gens. I knew this because when I opened my $600 box of stainless steel exaust,it didn't come in a 2 piece easy to install setup like the fourth gens either,it was a twisted decrepit jumble of parts that wouldn't even fit on my car!! don't call me a retard either,I know how to hang an exaust system. although this one was strangely complex for an exaust system,it wasn't hard to install,believe me, this wasn't going on my car. I had to pay $150 to have it custom cut and re-welded to fit under my car,welded the whole thing because clamps WILL leak. ofcourse,you can't weld anything onto your car until it's strait!!

Leave Borla alone, put them out of business!!! they are so worhtless...of course i still have them,but no credit to borla, my Borla's were basically nothing more then SCRAP PIECES that a gifted gentlemen at the muffler shop skillfully made into a real system. screw Borla!!!!!!!!! thier customer service S U C K S !!!!,nothing but excuses

tell everone borla is a waste of money, random technologies and SLP makes good stainless steel sytems,check them out if you want to shell out some $$$ .....at least they care about quality.

take this to the top (TTT) every day,let everyone here know what a piece of JUNK Borla really is. glad some people are happy with them,but do you really want to take the gamble??
What a piece of garbage that post was. If you have such a difficult time with it, maybe you should go with flowmaster like everyone else next time. My borla is great, and it wasn't that difficult to install. I actually had a friend at an exhaust shop install it. It took him 45 minutes and cost me 60 bucks, including cutting off the old exhaust. I love the sound of it, and I get a lot of compliments, althought my car is far from stock. I love being able to change from completely bypassing the muffler to running fully through it in fifteen minutes, and you can make your own custom plates easily. It is a very nice system. Anyone that has ever installed an exhaust system shouldn't need instructions.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:12 PM

I have a Borla catback that the previous owner installed. I like it a lot. It sounds a little louder than stock and has a much better overall tone to it. It is not annoyingly loud, but sounds really good when you get on it. Since I didn't install it, I don't know if it has the adjustable plates. I haven't had any problems with fit or rattles. If you want something really loud, than I would go with Flowmaster or something else. Sorry no sound clip.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member

glad you like my posts so much Rezinn! I am happy with my Borla system too,after paying a guy $150 to CUT the pipe in three places and reweld it at the correct angle so the tips line up. that also includes making the 3" piece to meet the catyltic though. so yes,I agree. My Borla's are kick *## and probably the most proffesionally installed Borla system on any thirdgen. I found my reciept the other day, $500 + $150....$650 could be worse,right?? like I said,now I have a nice exaust sytstem!
Old 04-11-2002, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
I know what my ear likes and I have heard no other exhaust that sounds as good as a Borla. I've had flowmaster (tiney) and two different Dynomax systems. I've been to dozens of Camaro only shows (Camaro Nats in Pigeon Forge, 30th birthday party in Mid-Ohio to name a few) and have heard most everycombo possible. I personally like the Borla sound and when my Dynomax cat back is dead, I'll replace it with a Borla. However, thanks for the warning on the tough fit of the Borla, I'll know what too expect.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Re: borla cat back?

can you tell me were you cut and weld it and what pc it was an did you weld it with stainles steal

Last edited by bonddav; 06-24-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...ed-s_47343.htm

Heres a sound clip of the fourth gen system (WAY better tips!) on my 86 with a 305 TPI, small cam, and shortys. You can hear how it sounds from outside the car through a few gears.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock

I just bought a Borla 4th gen system on ebay for $275. I didn't install it, but the guy who did said it was easy as pie. Anyways, I previously had Dynomax and flowmaster on the car, and the Borla sounds the best by far. I just ordered a McCord power plate (electric cutout) for it.

I do have a wav. file sound clip, PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Car: 89 IROC 5.7
Engine: 357
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Im Running a full bolt-on TPI 350 setup, Edelbrock TES Headers, Edelbrock TES system Y-pipe, !Cat, 4th gen Borla 3" catback with full open plate. in this video. Personally, i think it sounds like a beast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h5TPHiCwL4
Audio Quality isnt great but you can still compare.

This is a clip from my 2 1/2" flowmaster 80 series... sounded like crap IMO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn5_xHm7wqw
Old 06-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

The Borla is definitely a unique sounding exhaust. Nothing else sounds like it.

One of the reasons I like the GMMG system is that it's basically all one piece. It's rather easy to install. The downside to this is that the box it came in was insanely huge!!!

Put the hanger in and away you go.

Only thing it needed was an extension to reach the cat (intermediate pipe is a tad short)
Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock

My sound clip can be found here

http://www.fquick.com/garages/Chevro...RS/1991/15551/
Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 PM

can you send me the clip on the borla
bonddav@sbchlobal.net
Old 06-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the borla catback for 5+ years before I sold my car. I picked it because I thought it was the best I could get as far as performance, sound, and looks... and I still think that.

I liked the sound on a 4th gen I heard and it actually sounded even better on my 3rd gen. Got many compliments on it, and it only got better when I got an engine that could push more air through it. It was quiet at idle, but if you wanted to make some noise it would give a deep roar upon acceleration - open up that plate and oh boy. I'm missing that car now.

I didn't have any problems with installation - paid 80 bucks in 2001 at a reputable shop and they had it done within an hour. Took a little tweaking to get the tips identical length out of the bumper. If I didn't go with the borla I'd probably have gone GMMG or corsa if that was a possibility. I don't think they made those for our cars at the time though (not even sure if they do now).
Old 06-25-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by rezinn
I ran the borla catback for 5+ years before I sold my car. I picked it because I thought it was the best I could get as far as performance, sound, and looks... and I still think that.

I liked the sound on a 4th gen I heard and it actually sounded even better on my 3rd gen. Got many compliments on it, and it only got better when I got an engine that could push more air through it. It was quiet at idle, but if you wanted to make some noise it would give a deep roar upon acceleration - open up that plate and oh boy. I'm missing that car now.

I didn't have any problems with installation - paid 80 bucks in 2001 at a reputable shop and they had it done within an hour. Took a little tweaking to get the tips identical length out of the bumper. If I didn't go with the borla I'd probably have gone GMMG or corsa if that was a possibility. I don't think they made those for our cars at the time though (not even sure if they do now).
I have a 1991 and have trouble with the right tail pipe is too low the cut out pipe piont down what did you do

Dave
bonddav@sbcglobal.net
----------
I have a 1991 rs and having trouble with the right tail pipe being too low and the cut out pipe points down what did you do to mount it can you send pic
Dave bonddav@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by bonddav; 06-25-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bonddav
I have a 1991 and have trouble with the right tail pipe is too low the cut out pipe piont down what did you do

Dave
bonddav@sbcglobal.net
----------
I have a 1991 rs and having trouble with the right tail pipe being too low and the cut out pipe points down what did you do to mount it can you send pic
Dave bonddav@sbcglobal.net
I did not have the inter cool tips i had the slant cat back part #14888