Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Please help need cat back muffler for 84 TA

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 t/a
Engine: rebuilt 327
Transmission: stock
Please help need cat back muffler for 84 TA

Please help !

Let me start by saying I know very little about cars and have to have all my work done for me.

I own a 1984 TA with a rebuilt 327 engine w/ headers and a High flow cat.

can anyone recommed a complete cat back system ?

Flowmaster told me they have one for an 86 and up TA and that it would require modification.

I did see a dynomax turbo that was listed for a 8 cyl firebird.

I'm just looking for somthing that is an easy fit and no modifications if thats possible.

Like I said I have all my work done for me. One guy told me to have my cat removed and put in system and the other guy who actually put the motor in for me is telling me to just use a cat back.

I have also posted this on the cat back thread.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM

Car: '92 RS
Engine: 357ci
Transmission: G-Force t-5
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10bolt mini spool
Re: Please help need cat back muffler for 84 TA

If you are going to have a shop do the work, i would just find the muffler that has the sound you are looking for and take it to the muffler shop and have them run the new pipe(3inch) out the rear.
I am VERY opinionated on exhaust sound.............were it my car i would run a Hooker Max Flow single in sinle out. The stock crossflow type muffler on these cars (to me) just sound like CRAP.................all that blappity blapp blapp noise.........
I know most of the guys on here HAVE to have 2 tail pipes for some reason that escapes me.
I would just have a single in/out muff in stock location with the tail turned down at the rear bumper.
Anyway................by the time you buy a cat back and then pay a shop to install it you will pay less to just have the muffler shop to do it "custom".
Old 09-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

If it's the factory cat in the car it's still probably a pellet style cat, and probably worn out by now. If that' the case I'd probably just swap it with a dynomax, magnaflow or other high flow cat, have whoever is installing it add the factory bracket to it, and then mate it up to the cat back of your choice- tons of them out there, and what sounds good/looks good is largely up to your opinion. One that is reasonably cheap and I've never heard of anyone not liking the sound of is the Hooker cat back...
Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

I have the Hooker also; I HIGHLY recommend it. It just all but jumps up into the car by itself. Very good fit. It's a bit loud for my taste, not obnoxious or anything (NOTHING near as unbearable as, say, a Blowmaster), but for the price and as neatly as it installs, I can't complain too much. I did buy some inconspicuous stainless turn-downs because I think the dual "tips" that came with it would look laugh-out-loud STOOOOPID. But that's just me. I'd rather all that stuff was largely hidden, just like stock. I hate the way most people have the tailpipes, where they're visible from the side.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:18 PM

Car: 92 Firebird, 91 Trans Am
Engine: L31 with HSR, LB9
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: '99 10 bolt 3.90, '01 10 bolt 3.42

I really like the sound on my magnaflow, but I do hate the tips. Its two years old now, daily driven even in northeastern winters (Salty) and its holding up great.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Originally Posted by kleist
Please help !

Let me start by saying I know very little about cars and have to have all my work done for me.

I own a 1984 TA with a rebuilt 327 engine w/ headers and a High flow cat.

can anyone recommed a complete cat back system ?

Flowmaster told me they have one for an 86 and up TA and that it would require modification.

I did see a dynomax turbo that was listed for a 8 cyl firebird.

I'm just looking for somthing that is an easy fit and no modifications if thats possible.

Like I said I have all my work done for me. One guy told me to have my cat removed and put in system and the other guy who actually put the motor in for me is telling me to just use a cat back.

I have also posted this on the cat back thread.
I run a hooker Aerochamber muffler on my 84 and LOVE the sound. I also have the tips shaped like the factory set up.

For the rest of the exchaust, I'm running Hooker 2055 headers, 3" catback with magnaflow high-flow cat.

Close up of the cat/Y-pipe

Looking back under the car

Headers when I installed them

Last edited by Ozz1967; 09-21-2013 at 12:00 PM.