Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Question on Flowmaster Muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 5.0 L (Carbed)
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: Lazy 2 check
Question on Flowmaster Muffler...

So I got a 1984 Z28 Carbed engine, its a manual transmission as well) So I was wondering to make my car a bit louder and to increase some gas mileage and to increase a bit in performance will just swapping out my muffler with a Flowmaster 80 series, in what aspects will that help? Will I gain any gas mileage improvements and will it help it help me out a bit performance wise?thanks!!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Transmission: BW T5, Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi
Re: Question on Flowmaster Muffler...

The entire exhaust works at a system. The flow master will flow better than the factory muffler, but you need to work on the rest of the system to see any real gains.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM

Yeah ur rite....but Im kind of on a budget and only have X amount of moneybto work with but if I only install that muffler will I gain atleast some HP, and some gas improvements??thanks!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 PM

LOL...I think any HP or Mileage gains will go out through your right foot on the accelerator
Old 03-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

You will see some.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 PM

If nothing else in the world, it will sound better (that should start another heated discussion)
Old 03-31-2012, 04:52 PM

So you guys dont really think it ill do anything for performance or Gas mileage gain?

and thats your take on those bigger Ground straps for the battery's I was thinking of getting em kus I heard that they give you better gas mileage but IDK...I need more feedback or explanation, thanks again!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

Swapping out just the muffler at this point is merely a waste of money & the only thing you'll see is more sounds. Your MPG will most likely drop because of your enthusiasm to hear your new muffler, so you will be accelerating more often negating any MPG gains that you might have seen otherwise.

Besides...At some point in the futre, if you keep the car & keep modding it, you will buy a complete cat-back system which already has a muffler. Which means the $ you spent on the Flowmaster now will be money down the drain since you will replace that Flowmaster with the muffler when you do the cat-back.

Flowmaster is not the most efficient muffler out there and with the crinkle bends on the stock pipes, you will not see much, if any, gains from it. Besides, unless you can install it yourself the $ you spend at a shop having it installed could be put towards a complete mandrel bent cat back that you could install yourself.

Do it once & do it right. Anything else is a waste of money.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 PM

I agree, but I don't think it is a total waste. You can get a mandrel intermediate pipe and connect the existing Flowmaster after the fact.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:13 PM

Alright cool...well yo guys think you could provide me with some links on as too what kind of system I could install on it with a price range, thanks a lot!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

This is one of the more popular exhaust cat back systems on this site not to mention extremely well built with stainless steel.=

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/16829/10002/-1
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Being n Canada I would recommend the stainless if your Camaro does see ice/snow.

If standard steel/non-stainless will work for you (3rd gen never sees salty roads)......http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1473-te...3-catback.aspx

I have that & love it.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 PM

Would this be ableto fit on ym camaro??? and if so would it actually help it out rather than just make it louder?thanks!

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...oducts_id=3718
Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 PM

and what about this one too...Im kinda leaning more towards this one becuase of the price...

http://www.carid.com/1995-chevy-cama...FQ-ChwodXlfpxw
Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by calgutie
Would this be ableto fit on ym camaro??? and if so would it actually help it out rather than just make it louder?thanks!

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...oducts_id=3718
Nope. Will not fit at all.

and what about this one too...Im kinda leaning more towards this one becuase of the price...

That will fit but did you look at the link I provided above? Even cheaper that what you just posted. Not a Flowmaster, but flows even better so if your looking for flow quality.....
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM

then whats something that will thats a flowmaster...?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

then whats something that will thats a flowmaster...?
If your stuck on going Flowmaster, you'll hafta find it because I don't know.

Be aware that the 80-series isn't going to give you that "infamous" Flowmaster sound. That comes from the 40-series.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

This is what I have on my "89" .= http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FL...n/?prefilter=0
I have searched both the Flowmaster site ,Summit Racing and Jegs Performance and unfortunately the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back for 3rd gen Camaros only goes back to 1986 through 1991.At least that's what they are saying.
Its possible that one of those will fit your "84" but someone else will have to verify that.
By the way the 80 series Flowmaster may not have the same exact tone as the Original 40 series as BlackendBird said but I can assure it "does" have the distinct Flowmaster sound. Thats why I bought it.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 03-31-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 PM

So my final question would be so if I purch ase and instal this system will I gain HP plus some fuel economy thanks!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 AM

and this is random but will this fit ym camaro, and will it actually hrlp it our kus I got the stock one right now.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...0002/-1?CT=999
Old 04-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Dont expect much. Just do it for the sound.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E

please please please consider listening to the advice you are getting here. there is a reason nobody likes to put flowmasters on their camaros. tbqh, i think every vehicle with a flowmaster installed sounds like a truck. do you really want your camaro to be a truck?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by zsmoore68w
please please please consider listening to the advice you are getting here. there is a reason nobody likes to put flowmasters on their camaros. tbqh, i think every vehicle with a flowmaster installed sounds like a truck. do you really want your camaro to be a truck?
That sir is an OPINION. And merely YOUR opinion. It may be shared by others but is not a unanimous opion. I love the Flowmaster 40-series sound on 3rd gens. The only reason I have Magnaflow is because that is what came on my car when I bought it & I have grown to like. I always have thoughts about changing out my Magnaflow for a 40-series.

We are NOT advising him not to get a Flowmaster. My showing up above was merely based on based on an inexpensive way to replace the entire cat back without spending a lot of money.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

and this is random but will this fit ym camaro, and will it actually hrlp it our kus I got the stock one right now.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...0002/-1?CT=999
Bad choice of filters. One backfire/spark & they go up in flames. Besides that.....An open element filter under the hood (sucking in hot underhood air) is not the path to making horsepower. Besides that....They won't pass a State Inspection anywhere (emissions state or not) if the inspector is doing his job.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
That sir is an OPINION. And merely YOUR opinion. It may be shared by others but is not a unanimous opion. I love the Flowmaster 40-series sound on 3rd gens. The only reason I have Magnaflow is because that is what came on my car when I bought it & I have grown to like. I always have thoughts about changing out my Magnaflow for a 40-series.

We are NOT advising him not to get a Flowmaster. My showing up above was merely based on based on an inexpensive way to replace the entire cat back without spending a lot of money.
you're right, it is my opinion that flowmasters sound like they belong on trucks. but it's not an opinion that flowmasters don't flow near as well as many other products, hence the name "slowmasters" that people who know this fact have labeled them with. this guy just got his camaro not too long ago, and he probably hasn't heard of anything other than flowmaster from summit catalogs and word of mouth. i think that before he jumps into buying a truck exhaust he should at least give some thought to looking at other exhaust manufacturers. i'm not meaning to upset anyone by throwing my opinion in the bucket, so grab your nitroglycerin and calm down.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by zsmoore68w
you're right, it is my opinion that flowmasters sound like they belong on trucks. but it's not an opinion that flowmasters don't flow near as well as many other products, hence the name "slowmasters" that people who know this fact have labeled them with. this guy just got his camaro not too long ago, and he probably hasn't heard of anything other than flowmaster from summit catalogs and word of mouth. i think that before he jumps into buying a truck exhaust he should at least give some thought to looking at other exhaust manufacturers. i'm not meaning to upset anyone by throwing my opinion in the bucket, so grab your nitroglycerin and calm down.
Junior.....Learn to behave here on TGO.

Just because YOU do not like something, it is not YOUR car. Let him do to HIS car what he wants to do & you do to YOUR car what you want. It is not a "truck exhaust". It will sound nothing like a truck due to the stock Y-pipe style of exhaust routing.

As far as flow....I said nothing about flow. I merely talked about the sound. True...They are not the best flowing mufflers out there & IIRC, I mentioned that days ago in my earlier posts (but i don't care enough to look & see if i did or not).
Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM

learn to behave? how am i behaving incorrectly? i stated that i wasn't trying to upset anyone, and i'm not. once again i just think it would make sense for him to consider manufacturers other than flowmaster, since he came here posting multiple threads asking for help with making a decision for his exhaust. one of his threads simply asked what was the loudest exhaust he could put on his car. so i don't see what the problem here is by saying he should take a look at some other options? i apologize if you're taking anything i say the wrong way, because i'm really not trying to ruffle any feathers and i didn't think that giving my 0.02 on the flowmaster's sound would hurt any butts.

back on topic: calgutie i hope you are considering ditching the rest of that stock exhaust if you want to see any real increases. you will be much happier if you shell out the extra bucks to replace everything from the stock manifolds to the exhaust tips. see if you can find anyone on this forum that is relatively close to you who does exhaust work. i lucked out and met Matt Walter a.k.a. mw66nova and have gotten so much help from him with my LS1 swap it's ridiculous. he fabbed my exhaust system, trans crossmember, did the necessary mods to my stock k member to fit the A/C compressor and oil pan, and has otherwise really just been an awesome guy giving me advice when i needed and so on. this forum can be a great resource for you if you use it as such.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Look, here's the deal:
- sound- it's an opinion, some like the flowmaster sound, some don't (I personally don't, think they sound metallic and tinny). doesn't really matter, if you like it it's your car. My big problem with them in this category is that they tend to drone inside the car at about highway cruising speed.
- hp- well the fact is that your biggest gains with exhaust work will come with headers and the y-pipe, and if you still have a stock cat relacing the old school pellet style with a modern high flow or getting rid of it. The cat back, well replace the whole thing or just do it for sound, don't bother just replacing the muffler for mpg or hp. Flow master isn't the worst choice, but the 80 series isn't a great one either for power. A while back we did some testing with 4th gens and found that the cat back with an 80 series is really no better than the stock muffler assembly, just louder
Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 AM

ok got it,,, but this question is kinda dumb but if I remove the cat and just put a straight pipe to my muffler, will I gain any HP or torque? or will it just be illegal and thats it?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Modifications to the exhaust after the converter should be legal.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 AM

Car: 1989 camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700 r4 auto

okay hi to all i have an 89 camaro 305 tbi and i was wondering if i could use the flowmaster 10 series muffller 1 inlet with dual outlets even though its not a crossflow muffler, i intend on hooking the cat pipe to one of the dual outlets and have a pipe running out of the other outlet and another pipe running out of the inlet like the crossflow setups. will this work Please give FEEDBACK!!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM

I dont see why it wouldn't work.....I was originally going to go with the 10 series myself but when I actually wen to the muffler shop and they hooked it on for me, I did not like how the 10 series sounded....I ended up going with a 40 series....personally I gthjink the 40 sounds better.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Thnx for the feed back! so I could really get any muffler as long as it's one inlet dual outlet right?? Cuz I thought it had to be a crossflow muffler like the flowmaster 80 series. By the way I have my current muffler sitting sideways under the trunk like the stock setup but was goin to change it for a flowmaster but didn't know what I was limited too
Old 11-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Honestly man in this game if you got money you can honestly do whatever in the world u want with your car...but as for your muffler...no it doesnt have to be a corssflow muffler...I didnt go with that 80 series just becuase it seemed to quite for me....but like ive said you can pretty much drop watever muffler you want...just make sure than the inlet and outlets match watever pipeing you got on the car....Liek for me I am running Hooker 2055 headers with 3" straight pipes and a 40 series muffler at the end...
Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM

sounds mean man. i was goin to get some hooker shorty headers.. is ur flowmaster sideways like mine ?????
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: Vortec 350 crate #12530282
Transmission: 700-r4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

when i bought my 89 iroc i thought it had stock exhaust on it, so earlier this year i decided to try and upgrade, i bought a flowmaster exhaust system online and went to throw it on...well i found out i had a flowmaster on there the whole time, haha. i ended up replacing the y pipe and now the intermediate pipe. it was just the flowmaster on stock pipes...once i swapped to the new y-pipe WOW! sounded completely different, had a MUCH deeper tone to it then before. now I'm going to swap the intermediate out and see how that goes. oh, and i cut my CAT off and put in a straight pipe, sounds real nice and I'm pulling 27 MPG highway with the 350 TPI. performance AND fuel economy? I'm not complaining. the 80's series (with new pipes) sounds beautiful, go with just the muffler at first and when you can next afford it, toss in the other pipes.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 383 HSR Procharged
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 35 spline Wavetrac 3.89's

I've used a lot of different mufflers, but the Hooker one has run the best so far and sounded the best. I lost some time at the track with the Flowmaster I used to run and got tired of the sound. On my '67 Chevelle prostreet BB car, I had flowmaster 50 series SUV mufflers on it. Lost 60hp on the dyno with them. Ended up going with Dynomax on that car. I hate Flowmaster now.
I went with a Dynomax superturbo system on the T/A which I still have in the garage. Nice idle sound and no drone at all. Not loud at WOT. Car ran 12.80 with it. Now I have my Hooker Aerochamber for sale. Sounds great and gained .3secs with it!! Highly recommended. Check out some sound clips of it..

Hooker Aerochamber muffler. Used for 10 minutes to tune my car. Still on there if you wanted to hear it run. Retails for $90 +tax.. Will ship it for $85. Chris, 330-204-4199

21729HKR
Application 1982-2002 Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am
Engine 5.7L V8
Inlet Diameter 3"
Outlet Diameter Dual 2.5"
Finish Black Painted

Features
Universal Camaro/Firebird Replacement
Single 3" Offset Inlet
Dual 2-1/2" Outlets
4-3/4"H x 10-1/4"W x 20"L 16 Gauge Aluminzed Steel Case
Reinforced Inlets and Outlets
Stainless Steel Perforated Plate eliminates Internal Rust
Aerodynamic Lens Directs Sound Pressure Waves into Acceleration Chamber and Out of Muffler
Sound Absorption Chamber eliminates High Frequeny Sound Waves for Deep Throaty Powerful Sound
Resonance Chamber and Tuning Tube Cancels Unwanted Frequencies and Amplitudes
Stepped acceleration Chamber Increases Exhaust Gas Velocity and Maximum Flow
Three Internal Bulk Heads for Superior Case Durability and Stability

Dynomax superturbo exhaust system for sale. Was on my '87 Trans Am GTA. Believe it was 2.5" in and dual 2.5" offset outlets on the muffler and 2.5" intermediate pipe..Muffler Part number 17739 and kit part number 17495. Wanted $125 for it. No drone, great idle sound and not too loud at WOT.. Lists for over $200. Will sell just the muffler for $40. Car ran 12.80's with it. Thanks, Chris. 330-204-4199