Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

High flow manga flow cats and California emissions HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt/ 3.23 Gear.
High flow manga flow cats and California emissions HELP!

Here's the story. Currently I live in IL, where emissions are a joke. I have a 350, cammed, performer intake, headman headers with the top ports, no cat, no emissions pump/ system, flow master cat back. Originally I got the car from Cali all stock with a 305 with the flow master on it.

I know I need a cat, will a high flow magnaflow work out there, site says no. Will the rest of my system be ok, or am I better off *gasp* selling it.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Re: High flow manga flow cats and California emissions HELP!

The high flow cats will bring your exhaust numbers in line with the test limits, if your engine runs clean enough. The problem with most performance cams, especially flat tappets, is that in order to provide the increased lift and duration we want, they add alot of overlap. It's this overlap that causes the loping idle. Overlap causes a loss of compression and the lope you hear at idle is partial misfires. These misfires send hydrocarbon emmissions through the roof.

Your task in getting this vehicle through California emmissions will be getting these HC emmissions down below their standards. A trip to the 4gas analyzer will prove this out. As far as the aftermarket modifications go, that's up to whoever does the inspection whether or not they stop you on these things. If that parts are CARB certified, you should be fine. Otherwise, it's a luck of the draw thing on how picky the inspector is.

You can get the car through the test anyway. Whether you can do it in the car's present form is the question.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 25th anniversary edition
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73's

I used to perform smog inspections in Ca. The inspection is a 3 part test. Visual, functional and tailpipe. They run the car on the dyno and load the engine down 50%load at 15mph and 25%load at 25mph. The worst part of it is the visual. The emissions equipment cannot be tampered, modified, or missing. In other words, if it came from the factory with AIR, EGR EVAP, CAT, PCV other, it needs to be there and functioning. They will test the EGR for proper operation, and check timing for proper settings. They will test the EVAP system for leaks and check the gas cap. As far as the high flow cat, it has to CARB approved for the year of the vehicle and the correct one(cannot put a truck cat on a car)and the tube from the AIR pump has to be hooked up and functioning. As far as aftermarket parts go, they have to CARB approved and 50 state legal parts for the year make and model. Any engine changes must be approved by the referee and given a special tag. And FYI unless the car came from the factory with dual cats you cannot make the car a dual cat system. Any questions feel free to ask, good luck.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by 92RS4US
I used to perform smog inspections in Ca. The inspection is a 3 part test. Visual, functional and tailpipe. They run the car on the dyno and load the engine down 50%load at 15mph and 25%load at 25mph. The worst part of it is the visual. The emissions equipment cannot be tampered, modified, or missing. In other words, if it came from the factory with AIR, EGR EVAP, CAT, PCV other, it needs to be there and functioning. They will test the EGR for proper operation, and check timing for proper settings. They will test the EVAP system for leaks and check the gas cap. As far as the high flow cat, it has to CARB approved for the year of the vehicle and the correct one(cannot put a truck cat on a car)and the tube from the AIR pump has to be hooked up and functioning. As far as aftermarket parts go, they have to CARB approved and 50 state legal parts for the year make and model. Any engine changes must be approved by the referee and given a special tag. And FYI unless the car came from the factory with dual cats you cannot make the car a dual cat system. Any questions feel free to ask, good luck.
thats gotta hurt!!!! all those "can i just rip all that emissions stuff off and be legal"crowd ,making their car a unregisterable yard ornament in the process