Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

92 Camaro - I'm told I can't do Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: 92 Camaro - I'm told I can't do Dual Exhaust

Originally Posted by 92RS_Ttop
Some states also exempt older cars from emissions inspections since there are very few of them left on the roads. In most states that starts once the car is 25 years old, some states the cutoff is 15 years.
The issue with that is circumstantial.

Illegal to do, yet there is no real process for inspecting for legality. While the car is not tested, it does not make it legal to start pulling parts off.

In Texas it is 23 years. So no more output test for me, just a visual. So I could gut the cat. Nobody would know or be able to tell what comes out is dirty. But it still has to be there for visual. As long as it is there, it doesn't have to work.

That being said, my car still has a functional cat & passed testing at my last test, despite not having a smog pump. It was missing when I bought the car & I bought one with the knowledge that I should fail. But I didn't fail so it never went on. Who cares HOW my car passed, as long as it passed.

That has always been my big gripe about it all. Test it. Pass or fail. End of story. Who cares if there is even a cat or not? If the goal is clean output, then just test that. Clean = pass, dirty = fail. So much easier on everyone.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by Stephen
...Who cares HOW my car passed, as long as it passed.

That has always been my big gripe about it all. Test it. Pass or fail. End of story. Who cares if there is even a cat or not? If the goal is clean output, then just test that. Clean = pass, dirty = fail. So much easier on everyone.
I COMPLETELY agree with you. I don't see the point of having to have a particular piece of equipment or a certain "certified" setup on a car. As long as what comes out the tailpipe is clean, it shouldn't matter if I put an old 60's 454 in my Camaro or a brand new Prius engine, or keep the original "certified" configuration. Yeah, I know I'm exaggerating things a bit, you get the point.

And yes, I know its really more about the $$$ than keeping the environment clean. And that is what REALLY pisses me off about the whole emissions inspection thing, even though I don't buy into a lot of the eco-crisis/global warming/cars are killing the planet crap. Its MY car, I should be able to do whatever I want to the engine as long as what comes out the tailpipe is clean.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Both warner 9 bolt 3.45 gear

This thread reminds me of my first car, a 1984 Mercury Grand Marquis. soon after i had bought the car, i put a duel exhaust system on it. A "mustang" style H pipe cat back system on it with glass packs.. about 5 months later i was driving down a back road and came to the highway. i started get up to speed in a hurry, then i see a cop, but not any cop, WI state patrol, and if you live in northern WI u dont want to run into one of these guys... so i see the red and blues flip on... he comes up to the car and said " do you know why i pulled you over today sir......" i say speeding of course. he goes " your car was a bit loud there, do u have modified exhaust???? i say i got mufflers, he goes "what about those two chrome exhaust tips you have there???" i go i got them from napa and i laugh.. he goes " you have duel exhaust there, and im going to have to give u a fine for modified exhaust" i was like what???? this car came with duel exhaust in 84.. and i can prove it, i have 3 mechanic books with me in the car. So i pulled out 1 of three books and turn right to the page page with the exhaust diagram and showed him... the he says " well im going to have to give you a seat belt ticket... $10 ticket later and my point proved... i happily drove away.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/250582...-grand-marquis

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9850147325353#

Last edited by macneilbibi; 01-04-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I don't understand the whole "you can't modify your exhaust or swap in a motor that didn't come with the car" thing for emissions. As long as it meets carbon levels or whatever it is they test for, why does it matter if I have duals or a 454?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger
I don't understand the whole "you can't modify your exhaust or swap in a motor that didn't come with the car" thing for emissions. As long as it meets carbon levels or whatever it is they test for, why does it matter if I have duals or a 454?
It has to do with the law having a source of income. Otherwise they wouldn't care HOW we got clean results, as long as we got them.

I knew a guy years ago that switched from the single to dual cat setup on his 3rd gen. His emissions were clean, but because his car was not originally equipped with dual cats, he failed.

He swapped to a single cat, emissions went up but still under the limit so he passed. Figure that one out! Higher numbers=pass while lower numbers=fail. All has to do with technicalities, not the true goal of clean air.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 formula 350
Engine: ls1 magnuson tvs2300 supercharger
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.11 Dana 44!

I say any and all emissions talk should be merged into one giant sticky on tgo. Any offenders that bring up smog talk in the wrong thread get reprimanded, or their post gets merged. Happens every day on this site with other topics...maybe it should also include smog talk.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by Justin89Formy
I say any and all emissions talk should be merged into one giant sticky on tgo. Any offenders that bring up smog talk in the wrong thread get reprimanded, or their post gets merged. Happens every day on this site with other topics...maybe it should also include smog talk.
I agree. But I would also suggest that a list of what emissions tests are performed in what areas/states would be helpful. At the very least maybe put in links to each states' inspection laws/procedures. I know PA lists theirs on their website, I've had them bookmarked since I first started modifying my Camaro.

Darth - Its all because we have people in government who know NOTHING about fixing cars, let along building or modifying them, making laws that control how they are used and what can be done with them.

Last edited by 92RS_Ttop; 01-04-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dquinn
Has anyone ever done dual exhaust for a 92 Camaro RS with shorty headers or long headers? I called a few places and was told that if they did the exhaust it would end up hanging real low and I would not have that much ground clearance. Has anyone ever put dual exhaust on a 92 Camaro where it didn't hang real low. I was told they might make a different transmission mount that would allow two pipes instead of just one. Oh yeah, I want true dual exhaust; No y-pipes.
I'm in the middle of doing my own have 3 in clearance everywhere you have to take your time