Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Modified Exhaust Hanger Location

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73:1 Open
Modified Exhaust Hanger Location

Been having some issues with my exhaust. When I went through my car a few years back, I installed 2055's with a 3" Y pipe and an edelbrock 3" cat-back. Unfortunately, with this setup I was unable to retain the stock exhaust hanger by the transmission.

Now, when I apply some torque to it, it jumps loose, and makes a god awful vibration. The slip joint just before the rear axle usually pops out, and the Y pipe is contacting the K-member.

Has anybody else had this issue? If so, I figure I need to put in at least one new exhaust hanger, but I don't know where I should put it. Welding one on is no issue.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Modified Exhaust Hanger Location

sounds like the system is not clamped/welded together properly either.

as for the hanger, are there any bolts on the tail shaft of the trans near enough to the exhaust to use as a mounting point for a hanger? I have a different trans, tko600, and i just did something similar, but i had 2 through holes ont he tail shaft that were unused in my application and i made a bracket to bolt to those, then fabbed a hanger to the exhaust.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks! I'm gonna get underneath it soon to check if I can mount it to the tailshaft of the transmission, along with the torque arm. My question is, if I mount the exhaust hanger to the transmission, should I insulate the connection with some polyurethane bushings? Or should I neglect it and allow for the transmission and motor mounts to dampen the vibration?

I keep trying to fix my faulty slip-joint in front of the rear axle, but I think I'm gonna finish it once and for all with a V-Band. Anybody know where there are good deals on them?

I got underneath it the other day, I had a stripped header-ypipe bolt. I replaced it, but noticed the fitment on my 2055's isn't quite right....the Y-pipe is contacting the k-member and one of the flanges on the header is contacting the lower control arm mounting bracket. I imagine this is what is causing some of that terrible vibration, but how can I fix it? I'd hate to resort to heating it and bending it out of place, but if I must I must......
Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

you should use some kind og isolator for the hanger, urethane, rubber, ect. I just used the rubber part from a universal exhaust hanger i bought at the local auto parts store.

as for the headers and y-pipe issues. They wont cause vibration, just noise from them hitting banging and rubbing. thats probably caused by worn out motor mounts.

vbands, usually find some cheap ones on ebay.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:03 PM

Thats the thing, there is zero clearance between the k-member, y pipe and the flange/control arm bracket. It has no room to sway back and forth, its always in contact. I'm gonna take it all apart when it warms up a bit, maybe try to tweek the mounting flanges to get a better seat.

I did get up under it tonight; I can fab up a mount fairly easily at the point you talked about.

As for the vbands, I was wondering what stores would carry them. I know tractor/trailers use them often for exhaust, I was thinking of stopping by the truckstop to see what they had. I looked up Napa's inventory, not much happening there. I'm more in the 'lets go get it now' frame of mind, rather than a 'pay now and wait'. I'll keep an eye out.