Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

installing edelbrock headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42
installing edelbrock headers

Ok, I have a set of Edelbrock Tes headers that i got about a week ago. The car's stock ypipe is a dual converter setup. The edelbrock headers I got came with a ypipe, but it is made for a single cat type setup. So, I am planning on just cutting my stock dual ypipe and also cut the edelbrock ypipe where I need to and somehow join them together or get them welded. My question is this: Does anyone know if even one of the edelbrock headers will bolt right onto my dual ypipe? The flanges on the edelbrock ypipe look the same as my stock pipes. Someone please let me know what the best way in this situation would be or what would be needed to get these headers joined to my stock ypipe, and No I do not want to get a ypipe fabbed up or buy another one. I want to join these headers to my stock ypipe. Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
Re: installing edelbrock headers

hmm this ones tricky, i ran into a similar issue with them and i had to weld a triangle flange on the end of my y pipe, and one on each end of the cat and one on the intermediate pipe, just so i could remove my cat and replace it though, the concept is the same. is there a reason you want to keep the dual cats? id imagine itd be easier to just go single but if you want to keep it id suggest using a flange setup, or v-bands which are BA but kinda pricey

also if youre using the stock ypipe i think thats got the ribbed bends correct? thatd be counter productive compared to the edelbrock pipe which is mandrel bent allowing the gases to flow easier
Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro w/T Tops
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Borg-Warner 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73

You may have some bad news here. I put a set of these on my third gen a few months ago. They are designed for a single cat setup. The header collector on the driver side has a mean turn in it that is pointed towards the passenger side for the tube that goes under the engine to meet up with the passenger side run (the y-pipe). Besides this, I found that these headers actually made accessibility to several of the spark plugs a real challenge. Usually when I install headers, they improve this accessibility - this is not the case with the Edelbrock units. On the positive side , these headers are emissions legal, which is why I chose them in the first place. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

they definitely improved my power which was a plus, but the spark plug thing kinda sucked, i had to take a normal spark plug socket, pull the rubber out and cut down the plug so it would slide over the whole plug and just go from there, its like a ghetto slp socket lol
Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro w/T Tops
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Borg-Warner 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73

So did you end up going the single exhaust route or did you do the dual thing? Just curious. Take care.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Supreme Member

dual, i took a hack saw and cut the single ypipe so i have two seperate pipes and i plan on joining them to my dual ypipe. Dual ypipe will provide more power in the first place.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

What do you mean , that these headers are made for a single ypipe only? Are there two kinds of Edelbrock headers? So what did you end up doing for yours? Did you install them anyway?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Supreme Member

i ended up using the single y pipe and im pretty sure the edelbrocks are single cat, and i think the y pipe is "offroad only" but im not sure since it is an emiisions friendly setup, i just ran mine to the y and then into a high flow cat
Old 08-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

So, are you still saying that there is a "single ypipe only" version of these headers? What is your opinion on getting those type headers to connect to a dual ypipe?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

In my opinion dual is more trouble than its worth, I've got a single cat ypipe and I'm pretty sure that's how they're sol, the only system I've seen personally with a true dual is the pacesetter system, my friend had it on his gta and it sounded nice, works great with shorty headers too
Old 08-05-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '86 Z28, '91 RS
Engine: 305ci, 305ci
Transmission: TH200c (no kidding), TH700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 2.73

I know it's probably not much help at this point but I would swear that Edelbrock sells a TES package for dual cat made for our cars.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Car: 1986 iroc
Engine: alum. head 350 supercharged
Transmission: 6speed
Axle/Gears: ford 9in 3.90 35 spline moser axles

they used to i dont see it on their website any more
Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

I actually just confirmed that these headers that I have are made for a dual cat car. Woohoo!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, in the process right now of installing the TES Edelbrock headers. On the passenger side I cracked that big black plastic box that the A/C lines run into. What the hell is that thing? It shouldn't affect my heat right? I can replace it later, but getting a damn socket around those two back manifold bolts is a real PIFA!!! I tried a box wrench but it wouldn't grip. It was a 9/16 too. Anyway, I had to break that f-ing box to get access to those back bolts , but they are out now. My only problem now is trying to figure out how to connect my Edelbrock y-pipe up on the drivers side. I cannot get access to one of the holes to put one of the new studs through. Do I have to unbolt the driver's side header again and then connect my ypipe first?? Someone please let me know on this one. Later
Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ninetyone
Ok, in the process right now of installing the TES Edelbrock headers. On the passenger side I cracked that big black plastic box that the A/C lines run into. What the hell is that thing? It shouldn't affect my heat right? I can replace it later, but getting a damn socket around those two back manifold bolts is a real PIFA!!! I tried a box wrench but it wouldn't grip. It was a 9/16 too. Anyway, I had to break that f-ing box to get access to those back bolts , but they are out now. My only problem now is trying to figure out how to connect my Edelbrock y-pipe up on the drivers side. I cannot get access to one of the holes to put one of the new studs through. Do I have to unbolt the driver's side header again and then connect my ypipe first?? Someone please let me know on this one. Later

i never had these issues with mine, i used spectre header bolts for mine, they came with an allen key socket to run em down and then you just use a box wrench to tighten them, im not sure if the box will affect your heat, that does lead inside the car though, and the bolt holes on the header/ypipe can be spun and lined up, you need to put one in just a few threads, then the other, go back and forth tightening them equal amounts until theyre snug, if you ran the one in all the way thats why its causing you problems
Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I am fine on the header to head bolts. It is the flange on the edelbrocks that i am having a time with. After the driver's side header is mounted to the head the flange just barely fits down in there underneath the car. It is kinda jamed in there real close to the oil filter and the frame. I understand that the flanges are threaded, meaning that the studs have to be threaded into the flange and then a nut on the other flange(ypipe) or vice versa. Mine only fit it i thread the stud up from the bottom through both the ypipe flange and then the header flange and then put the nut on the top of the header flange and tighten the nuts from the top. Know what i mean? Anyhow, i am just having a problem getting access to the second hole on the header flange from underneath. Like i said , that flange just barely fits in there between the frame and the oil filter. Can't really get access to the hole in the flange that is closest to , say the driver's side tire. Cutting the damn exhuast from underneath the car has proved to be the toughest part of this job. Wish i had just gone with a single ypipe
Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, that black box leads into the inside of the car. Inside of it is a small radiator looking type box. I think all of that is for the a/c though, but not positive. LOL. I had to break the mother f-er off! Just couldn't get access to those bolts and I did not want to be out there all night long. Let me know what the hell this box is please, someone.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM

Car: TOO MANY
Engine: 350 TPI / 350 TBI/6.0L VORTEC
Transmission: T5/AUTO/AUTO

yes that black box that u cracked is part of all the ac components so u might as well start looking for an ac delete box, or finde a good condition used one to replace it.
i have the dual set up on mine and it they went in smooth, i dn't know why ur running into so many problems.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Supreme Member

i had to put one bolt in, thread on the nut, then rotate the entire thing around to get the other one started, then i had to find a good middle ground to have them both acessible for tightening, ill see if i can snap a pic with my droid and post it up here for you, i never had any problems with it, but then again youre running dual, i went with the single y setup
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Headers are done. I think I am going to let the muffler shop handle joining up my dual cat to the edelbrock ball flanges that I have. One piece of pipe is seven inches long or so and just fits in front of the oil pan and runs toward the passenger side and the other pipe is like four inches long and has the ball and flange on it of course. There is about a three inch gap between both of my pipes running down from the headers to my factory dual ypipe. I am tired and would much rather have an exhaust shop weld those pipes together anyway. By the way, I am assuming that both the alternator bracket and the ac bracket are necessary right? Looks like i may need a longer bolt and a spacer or something?