Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Quick exhaust question for my L98

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock 3.23's
Quick exhaust question for my L98

I have a stock 87 GTA and looking to start modifying it and basically was told to start with some headers and a good catback system. I was going to go with the Hooker shortys then dump the ypipe and have a custom x/h pipe and running hiflow cats and flowmasters so I'd have tru dual exhaust. But I've been reading a lot and i was told that since I only plan to achieve between 300-400 hp in the long run that that setup would probably cause TOO high flowing exhaust and would rob me of lowend torqe. So if that's the case should I just get a better ypipe with magnaglow hiflow cat and go from there? Would that be the better choice for me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I plan to start my project pretty soon
Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 AM

Car: 1991 Formula Firebird
Engine: L98 with headers/exhaust
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt
Re: Quick exhaust question for my L98

At your proposed power level, a Y-pipe set-up will flow plenty. A good, properly-sized dual-exhaust with headers won't hurt torque at all due to exhaust scavenging and equalization of flow, but will be a PITA and added expense on your 3rdGen.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 AM

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock 3.23's

I see so what your saying is a y pipe with a good hiflow cat would be just fine for what I want to do but duals wouldn't hurt either. Basically just comes down to how much I want to spend then? Or what would be the proposed benefits of running tru duals? I only ask because I've had a little exhaust work done already and should have done it all at once but was short on cash and needed it done quick because I some how managed to get a hole punched in my stock muffler so I had everything after the cat replaced with flowmaster muffler and pipe. And I've already been quoted almost $700 to replace EVERYTHING from the headers back to make custom h pipe plus magnaglow cats and dumped flowmasters. Of course that includes me doing the headers myself. But if I can just get a y pipe and magnaglow cat an keep the rest after I replace the headers an perform just as well as duals then I might a well save a couple $100 right? Just want to make sure I make the right decision the first time so I don't end up doing it a again later down the road
Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 AM

Car: 1991 Formula Firebird
Engine: L98 with headers/exhaust
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt

You pretty much nailed it. A good Y-pipe/high-flow-cat and cat-back will easily support your goals with less aggravation and cash outlay.

However, a nicely done dual set-up will:
1) Give you room to grow/go nuts in HP
2) Probably sound better
3) If dumped before the axle, will save weight

I'd still stick with the Y-pipe and pocket the extra money. My car sounds pretty good with Hooker headers, Magnaflow cat and Hooker Aerochamber cat-back. When I eventually build a stronger engine, I will keep this exhaust...
Old 05-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23

For only 300-400 HP I would say just go with a pair of shorty headers and a y pipe like stated. My L98 stock put out 211 RWHP and 313 RWTQ with Edelbrock shorties and catback system. It also fit nicely and did not drag nearly as much as my new long tube, 3" y-pipe into 4" setup. I drive on a lot of uneven roads so I constantly have to be on the look out for dips, crowns, pot holes... etc.

If you ever decide to go to build a motor for more HP you'll probably be looking into Long Tubes anyways.