Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

questions before doing full exhaust on my car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt
questions before doing full exhaust on my car!

Hey guys, well I wanted to wake up my 91 Trans Am with the LB9 (305 TPI) engine so I think exhaust will be one of the first things I do. Now here are my questions:
*Whenever I search for exhaust parts on a car parts website, I see headers and manifolds. What's the difference? I heard that manifolds are the stock equipment and headers are generally the performance variants.
*What are some good cheap headers? I heard good things about Edelbrocks but they're EXPENSIVE!!
*Should I get true dual exhaust or single?
*What kind of diameter pipe do you recommend, either for single or true duals.
*What's a good muffler that flows well and sounds good but doesn't give the passengers in the car a headache?
*And I really like the exhaust tips that the 2nd gen T/As have, I'd like to do something like that. Does it require serious custom fabricating?

And I'm thinking of getting the dual-cat setup from a thirdgen parts car if I can find it.

I wanna keep this as cheap as possible but something that's obviously better than stock.

And if you guys have anything for sale that you think I might be interested in, please let me know!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by musclecar70sfan; 03-02-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: questions before doing full exhaust on my car!

Manifolds are cast Iron, headers are normally steel. Headers have individual pipes from each of the exhaust ports to a collector while manifolds are basically all the exhaust into one pipe. There are different types of headers, too. Shorties to Long.

Define cheap.

Single

3"

I like the Hooker Super-Comp.

Read the stickies at the top... a lot of these questions are answered up there.

Don't bother with the dual cat setup.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
Manifolds are cast Iron, headers are normally steel. Headers have individual pipes from each of the exhaust ports to a collector while manifolds are basically all the exhaust into one pipe. There are different types of headers, too. Shorties to Long.

Define cheap.

Single

3"

I like the Hooker Super-Comp.

Read the stickies at the top... a lot of these questions are answered up there.

Don't bother with the dual cat setup.

Yeah I checked out those stickies, they helped me a little.
Under $350 would be great.
I found these headers; the price is definitely attractive compared to others.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2460HKR/
But turns out that they don't have the fittings for the AIR tubes. I was thinking of ripping that system out, but I heard that the performance gains are so small that it's not even worth it. And I need the car to pass emissions in 2 years. BUT I did hear that people have gotten their cars to pass without them, and this is in NJ too which supposedly is as bad as Cali. Sooo if I can get away with it, I'm most likely getting the Hookers. Any thoughts?

But if I'm gonna stick with the AIR system, I might get these Flowtechs:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-16102FLT/

For now I'd like to gut the cat, maybe even replace it with a cat delete pipe that bolts in, since CT has no visual inspections of any kind. My next emissions test is due in 2 years so I'll just reinstall the cat then. I kinda doubt that a cop would even bother looking underneath my car especially in CT where they're a bit easier in terms of emissions and what not...

Last edited by musclecar70sfan; 03-02-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM

The Flowtechs have a bad bad rep for bad fitment and lower quality. The Hooker headers you posted don't come with a y-pipe which changes the cost a lot. The 2055s do come with a Y-pipe, same with the Edelbrocks.

Performance gains from removing the AIR system is nothing. Lots of headers don't have the AIR tubes, so at that point pull it if you go with headers w/o AIR. As far as removing the Cat, buy a high flow one and save yourself the headache. It will cost you 1-2 HP maybe.

Oh, and the 2nd gen tail pipes wouldn't be that hard. Just need to trim down the tail pipes and add the tips.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

The Flowtechs have a bad bad rep for bad fitment and lower quality. The Hooker headers you posted don't come with a y-pipe which changes the cost a lot. The 2055s do come with a Y-pipe, same with the Edelbrocks.

Performance gains from removing the AIR system is nothing. Lots of headers don't have the AIR tubes, so at that point pull it if you go with headers w/o AIR. As far as removing the Cat, buy a high flow one and save yourself the headache. It will cost you 1-2 HP maybe.

Oh, and the 2nd gen tail pipes wouldn't be that hard. Just need to trim down the tail pipes and add the tips.
Thanks man! Well I was told that the AIR tubes probably aren't doing much on an old car like this (and when I went for testing last September, the guy at the garage said that they're more lenient on older cars like mine). I suppose I'll just get the hookers without AIR tubes and just see what happens in 2 years. If the car fails its emissions test, you get a free retest so if anything I'll just reinstall my factory manifolds for the test with the AIR tubes. Can my TPI run without the AIR tubes?

And do those hooker headers that I linked up in my previous post drop in directly or do they require modifications?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Those Hooker headers (2460s) aren't recomended. Everyone says get the 2055s. There is a thread running right now on 2640s vs the 2055s. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exha...55s-whats.html)

The TPI runs fine without the AIR tubes. There is a small compensation that the ECM makes for the added air, however it really doesn't appear to affect most poeple.

Last edited by AmorgetRS; 03-02-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Those Hooker headers (2460s) aren't recomended. Everyone says get the 2055s. There is a thread running right now on 2640s vs the 2055s. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exha...55s-whats.html)

The TPI runs fine without the AIR tubes. There is a small compensation that the ECM makes for the added air, however it really doesn't appear to affect most poeple.
Ok... but it appears that the 2055s are only good for 86-90 TPI engines... mine's a 91. Who says it has to be only Hooker? I'm just looking for some good bang-for-the-buck headers that won't break the bank. I don't wanna spend much more than 400 bucks for headers and y pipe combined. I wouldn't mind buying used stuff either. The edelbrocks claim to shave 1 second off of 0-60 times... cost a bit much but sounds tempting.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ED...RD&prefilter=1

But it looks like I'll need to get a dual cat setup.

Last edited by musclecar70sfan; 03-02-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 AM

Don't worry about the years, that has to do with CA Carb #s over actual fitment. Since you have a single cat setup it should bolt right in.

It doesn't have to be Hooker, I am just giving you my opinion on the best bang for buck. The Edelbocks don't have good reviews in general, however they are better pieces then the Flowtechs. Personally I'd buy a stainless steel set or coated set used.

Ignore the claims... K&N claims up to 25 more horsepower.

The dual cat setup will cost you more then just buying headers that fit your current setup.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Don't worry about the years, that has to do with CA Carb #s over actual fitment. Since you have a single cat setup it should bolt right in.

It doesn't have to be Hooker, I am just giving you my opinion on the best bang for buck. The Edelbocks don't have good reviews in general, however they are better pieces then the Flowtechs. Personally I'd buy a stainless steel set or coated set used.

Ignore the claims... K&N claims up to 25 more horsepower.

The dual cat setup will cost you more then just buying headers that fit your current setup.
Oh ok, thanks for the tips! But my biggest concern is the amount of work that the 2055s require, I could've sworn that I saw a thread with a long list of what the 2055s require for the install, and I think I heard something about them requiring a mini starter. Of course, I can't find the thread now even though I tried lol. What do the 2055s need to drop in?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...ok-2055hkr.pdf

I don't think you need a ministarter.

Doesn't seem too complex and I don't think many headers are going to much better.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Oh ok, doesn't seem too bad. I got some parts that I gotta replace anyway so I suppose I'd get to them while installing the headers (wanna put in an a/c delete pulley). Are the bolts and gaskets that come with the hookers decent for the job?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM

No idea on the bolts, I don't think the gaskets are very good though. Most people go with locking header bolts to keep them from backing out.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 PM

I just realized I told you something sort of wrong.

The reason for the 2055s not working with 91/92 and the single cat setup is that in 91/92 the single cat setup went to a smaller cat/catback (2 1/4 I believe) instead of the 3" for the earlier ones. Since you plan on replacing the entire system it wouldn't be a big deal as almost all catbacks are 3", so you just need a 3" cat to bridge the gap.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Oh ok, well if anything I'll just pull a 3" cat from a junkyard car, or get a high-flow one... or just gut it! lol

And I thought I'd bump this for some more responses... and I got a $20 coupon off of any purchase of $100 or more from Summit since I just ordered an AC delete pulley. But $450 for the 2055s is still gonna take a HUGE bite out of my already tight budget. Anybody got any used sets for sale?

edit: and i meant to ask, is it hard to find JUST the y-pipe for the 2055s? Since I just found a cheap pair, but it seems that they're not available with the y-pipe.

Last edited by musclecar70sfan; 03-04-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:07 PM

You can try contacting Hooker and see if they'll sell you just the Y-pipe. Why would someone have the headers and no y-pipe?
Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 PM

Car: 85 trans am
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

ive hooker comp longtubes into a ypipe the magnaflow 3" all the way back into 3.5"duals. sounds ****in awsome. magnaflow is expensive but its totaly worth it. ive set off car alarms and a house alarm, once. if you want something that will wake you up this is it. i also dont have cats, i understand the us goverment isnt to happy about cars that a loud and spew fumes.
good luck
Old 03-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by hurd85ta
ive hooker comp longtubes into a ypipe the magnaflow 3" all the way back into 3.5"duals. sounds ****in awsome. magnaflow is expensive but its totaly worth it. ive set off car alarms and a house alarm, once. if you want something that will wake you up this is it. i also dont have cats, i understand the us goverment isnt to happy about cars that a loud and spew fumes.
good luck
Haha yeah you got that right! House alarm eh? Not bad! I wanna get something that sounds loud and mean on the outside but fairly tame on the inside of the car so my eardrums won't bleed everytime I go out for a spin lol.

You can try contacting Hooker and see if they'll sell you just the Y-pipe. Why would someone have the headers and no y-pipe?
I have no idea... I contacted the guy and he hasn't responded yet. Maybe he has it, he just forgot to mention it in the ad. Who knows! I hope he writes back soon.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Supreme Member

Well I finally got a response from the guy... he's selling the headers for $180 shipped but no y-pipe... the headers themselves are in pretty good shape. I'm just wondering if its worthwhile since I'm afraid that getting my hands on the y-pipe will be tough. I emailed Hooker and they said that they don't sell them separately.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:17 PM

If you have the ability to build your own y-pipe, then it is a good deal. If you don't then it's probably not.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Supreme Member

If you have the ability to build your own y-pipe, then it is a good deal. If you don't then it's probably not.
I'm actually unable to make one myself... and I bet having someone else make one would be pretty pricey.