Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

am i screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi
am i screwed?

hi well i just got my new replacment muffler and the last couple of days iv been trying to get the old rusted pipes off my camaro so i could install the muffler when i got it, so i went back out to try getting the pipes off and well i finally got 1 of the exit pipe's off by shaking and finaly twisting off the old rusted pipe and question is should i have done this? will it just go back on to the muffler end or is a pipe suppose to run through the muffler? im kinda scared i messed up and shouldnt of ripped of the pipe but am i fine? and i forgot to ask how much pipes are when i got the muffler so if i do need new pipes , much is the piping that i need? thx and also the muffler i got is a supposely replacment 1 but the muffler is a soundmaster and is there any diffrence between this 1 and factory? thx
Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock
Re: am i screwed?

Curious q--are the tail pipes-to-muffler clamped on or welded but rusted away?
I picture a muffler with 1 tube in 2 out?? I'm thinking if you're replacing the muffler & you can get the tail pipes & cat-back section off with out cutting, then you should be good.What about the cat-back section-hows that affixed?
The tails on mine are welded to the Flowmaster muffler, as is the cat-back section.
Prices depend on where you go & material-- such as aluminized or plain, & length//diameter.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
Curious q--are the tail pipes-to-muffler clamped on or welded but rusted away?
I picture a muffler with 1 tube in 2 out?? I'm thinking if you're replacing the muffler & you can get the tail pipes & cat-back section off with out cutting, then you should be good.What about the cat-back section-hows that affixed?
The tails on mine are welded to the Flowmaster muffler, as is the cat-back section.
Prices depend on where you go & material-- such as aluminized or plain, & length//diameter.
well they were clamped on but since the car was sitting outside for 5yrs the whole underbody rusted away so the pipe was rusted to the part of the muffler. ya 2 pipes lead to the muffler then 1 pipes leaves out of the muffler 1 side and 1 pipes goes out on the other side of the muffler. well i know there isnt another clamp tell almost all the way to the cat. if i saw off the 1 pipe i took off just on the end to make it not as sharp and saw off the other 2 sides can i just clamp them back on to the new muffler? like if i never ripped them off like.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

IMO--
... Replace rusted pipes or you'll be doing it sooner than you expect
...IF you can clean the area, test fit b4 making cuts--too short & gotta replace anyway
...Take the questionable parts to a muffler shop or auto parts store & look for replacements
...Call jyard//salvageyard--maybe they have parts you need

Last edited by t-top havoc; 12-08-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: expect added to post
Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
IMO--
... Replace rusted pipes or you'll be doing it sooner than you expect
...IF you can clean the area, test fit b4 making cuts--too short & gotta replace anyway
...Take the questionable parts to a muffler shop or auto parts store & look for replacements
...Call jyard//salvageyard--maybe they have parts you need
so should i just buy replacement pipes? will 3in pipes fit the muffler? and do i just order them at shucks or something or do i have to go to an exhuast shop? im going install it myself. how much does all the pipes run? and all the piping, cat, and muffler is that an complete exhuast system.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:28 AM

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56

Check out SLP. They were doing a clearance a week or so ago for 3" stock replacement style intermediate pipes. This will take you from your cat back towards your muffler. You will then need an over the axle pipe and an elbow into the muffler. Will be a little difficult to source all the needed parts but will be pretty cheap to do.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=10168S
Old 12-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Check out SLP. They were doing a clearance a week or so ago for 3" stock replacement style intermediate pipes. This will take you from your cat back towards your muffler. You will then need an over the axle pipe and an elbow into the muffler. Will be a little difficult to source all the needed parts but will be pretty cheap to do.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=10168S
hey man thx alot thats a really good deal and i think i'll buy 1. so the are you for sure all i need else for piping is an axle pipe and an elbow? i also need tail pipes right. not to sound greedy but could you happend to find me the other pipes for me if you could and i would like them to match up with the 3in pipe you mentioned and also would it be a good idea to buy a hi flow cat in the future? will 3in pipes fit the stock headers?

so do i need these http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=310LFT

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=300SPIPE

and what 1 of these elbows would i need.

could you help me out here a bit more thx man
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Z-28
Engine: 360TPI
Transmission: PA Racing 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Why did you start a new thread with the same questions you were already asking?????
Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by C-Titan
Why did you start a new thread with the same questions you were already asking?????
not much help on some and its a lil diffrent prob. now
Old 12-14-2009, 01:00 AM

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by iroc stangs
hey man thx alot thats a really good deal and i think i'll buy 1. so the are you for sure all i need else for piping is an axle pipe and an elbow? i also need tail pipes right. not to sound greedy but could you happend to find me the other pipes for me if you could and i would like them to match up with the 3in pipe you mentioned and also would it be a good idea to buy a hi flow cat in the future? will 3in pipes fit the stock headers?

so do i need these http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=310LFT

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=300SPIPE

and what 1 of these elbows would i need.

could you help me out here a bit more thx man
Neither of those two things will help you at all. Just take a look at how your exhaust routed over the top of the axle, or maybe look at various pictures on the internet to give you an idea of what sort of bends you will need.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Neither of those two things will help you at all. Just take a look at how your exhaust routed over the top of the axle, or maybe look at various pictures on the internet to give you an idea of what sort of bends you will need.
thing is im not exactly sure exactly what i need i dont know much about exhausts. but will that intermident pipe you mention that will work right? i might buy 1 and say if i go with something else i can always sell for more then i payed for it.