Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Doug's L/Ts pics and installation!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.
Engine: 385 stroker sbc
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70 Wavetrac
Doug's L/Ts pics and installation!

Gonna be picking up a set of Doug's L/Ts this winter and want to know what im in for. part #D3321.
How tough is the installation while the engine is in my GTA, will it clear everything? (bone stock). Will my local muffler shop be able to fab a 3 inch ypipe. And most of all will I still have ample ground clearance? Or will hooker 2460s shorties provide the same "gains".

Pics would be great of these L/Ts or Hookers.

Thanks Guys !!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Re: Doug's L/Ts pics and installation!

First and formost, shorties won't provide the same gains in the long run. If you are going to be doing motor work in the future I would go with the long tubes. Otherwise, just go with a set of 1 3/4 shorties that have a 3" collector and full 3" y pipe setup.

The dougs slipped right into my car. MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than my old hedman shorties did. I did have to remove the knock sensor ( can be relocated but I'm not). I also had to get a smaller starter and reroute the wiring to it. I ended up using an LT4 starter because I had one from my old car. I had to remove the oil cooler from my car and reroute a couple lines but it wasn't a huge deal.

All in all the install was well worth it IMO. I also installed a t56 at the same time so I didn't have to fight the auto being in the way. I got a Skulte t56 crossmember so my y pipe will be routed differently and have more clearance than yours. Ground clearance is still going to be **** though. The headers hang pretty low and actually touch on a spot on the body. I didn't bother modifying it since it didn't look like a major issue.

For mine I will be using a flowmaster merge with 2 hedman s bend kits that will be welded up locally. Very simple but AMAZINGLY effective. You won't be able to do the same because the auto will be wider. However, if a t56 swap is in your future, get the long tubes and wait till you do the t56 swap as both with make the other much easier to do. Do a search on my username and you should be able to find my thread with preliminary y pipe pictures to give you an idea of what I am planning.

Lastly, these will NOT ever be emmisions legal, no matter what you do to them. Installing a cat is basically just pissing in the wind as far as the law is concerned. There's a chance you could test "cleaner" (and I use that term loosely when talking about emission laws) but it would still fail a visual since the cat will be in a different location than stock.