Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Does Your Maro/Bird Make People MAD!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 trans am gta
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt
Re: Does Your Maro/Bird Make People MAD!!??

my 85 bird makes people angry i just have straight pipes and in my neighborhood i drive 15mph in 3rd gear because these people know where i live the speed is 25mph and i still get told to slow down.

LOUD DOES NOT=FAST
Old 03-08-2009, 04:41 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi

My '97 isn't loud untill you stand on it... the LT1 gets pretty loud at WOT. Its all stock, just has a catback from a '99 SS. Still has iron manifolds, dual cat Y-pipe, with both cats still functional. Sounds really nice, but isn't loud at all untill you put your foot into it. LT1 has a really nice bark through that LS1 exhaust.

The '83 however.... its significantly louder than the '97. Its got a full exhaust system on it - shorty headers, Y-pipe, Hooker catback - but its pretty loud all the time. Not obnoxious, but getting close lol. Lots of compression, big cam, and headers will do that. For a 400hp carbureted NA small block, I'd say its relatively quiet. Thats why I also have a 3" cutout

When its capped though, its louder than most cars, but not unreasonable. Its about on-par with the Shelby Mustang from 'Gone In 60 Seconds'... sounds pretty similar too actually.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned

Car: 1992 Camaro RS & 1994 Mazda 626
Engine: 305 TBI V8 / 2.0 4-cyl.
Transmission: 700R4 / I have no idea
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 / I don't know

There was one night that I was out crusing the backroads, and I was about to pass the golf course, and a big white Cadillac was sitting at the entrance, and he just pulled right out in front of me, so I slammed my brakes, and followed him. The speed limit was 45, and this guy was doing about 30... I figured he was an older guy. I was still a little p*ssed that he just pulled right out in front of me so I tailed him really closely to a T intersection, where unfortunatly, he was turning left, and so was I. So he takes the turn very slowly, and I wait a couple second. I mash the gas and the car gets sideways on the black top and I just come flying up on him, my 305 screaming, and I blow by him while he was still on his never-ending journey to the speed limit. I over did it a little bit, I passed him at about 70-80 mph, and he was probably going about 40. When I did pass him, I looked over, and indeed, I was right, it was an elderly man, with his elderly woman. So I slow down to about 65 and keep going down the narrow road when all of a sudden I notice some very bright lights coming up in my rear view mirror, and I'm thinking "there's no way that is the old grandpa..."... IT WAS!!! He comes blasting up behind me with his brights on, and starts tailing me a few feet from my bumper. So I'm going 65 in a 55, and he's all over my rear end. I was laughing my *** at the thought of what his old lady was probably doing in the passenger seat, probably screaming her head off! So next intersection comes up and I get on the throttle hard and he stays back about 10 feet, but keeps following me. I was really starting to worry that he had a gun or something! Luckily for me, the turn into my subdivison came up fast, and I quickly turned, and he kept going straight! Whew!

My next story is a lot shorter. I live really close to a McDonald's and I like to go down there at 7 or 8ish a couple times a week and get a double cheeseburger meal. So one night I get my order and as usuall, I come out of the drive through fast (putting on a little show lol), and I notice a family walking across the street. In my teenage idiocy, I come up to the exit, crank the wheel, and gun the poor TBI and my tires broke out in a terribly loud scream. I scared the sh*t out of that whole family, and the husband (I presume), turned around and yelled "G*DDAMN TEENAGER!!!" I thought that was pretty funny. There's a gas station attached to it, and I noticed a couple people staring at me, some shaking their heads.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM

Car: 86 T/A WS6/Future project
Engine: 350 TPI/ Pontiac 455
Transmission: 700R4/TH400
Axle/Gears: Posi.

Well im doing a pontiac 455 engine swap in to a third gen and when i first started the 455 to see if it ran before the rebuild we cut the exaust off and when it started my ears started ringing and the neighbors porsche alarm acorss the circle wouldnt stop going off lol and this was at ten on a weekday! lol
Old 03-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Through my own experience.
I have found that a louder car in many peoples (or neighbors) mind is a car thats goin fast. And it seems to me, that many people will always view "loud" cars as disrespectful/obnoxious, when the reality of it is we just want to grab as much hp/tq as we can, or economy if thats ur thing.

The perfect example is of my friend,
who has never had an accident a day in his life and is one of the safest drivers i know. unfortunatly he drives a mustang, but thats beside the point in this story. He lives in a quite neighborhood in Ct. where the speed limit is 25 MPH. His mother owns a VW Beetle Turbo. Its pretty quite, she typically does about 50mph down the road, all the while she gives and recieves waves from the friendly neighbors. My friends stand has a nice set of pipes on it, that are 100% street legal. But to prove the point i stated above, no matter what speed he travels down his road he never gets a wave from anyone. And this one particular day, he was driving home at about 15mph. 10mph under the limit. As he idled by this 1 house a man came running out of the front door, across the lawn straight towards him. He almost ran right in front of the car. My friend slammed on his brakes, and stopped with ease. The man punches the back of his car and starts screaming: "DONT YOU KNOW THIER ARE KIDS IN THIS NIEGHBORHOOD" . My friend calmy replied, " i know thats what i was goin 10 mph under the limit if it was any faster i would have hit you when u ran in front of me." And the man was so enfuriated that my friend just had to drive away.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi

Originally Posted by ckviprino
Through my own experience.
I have found that a louder car in many peoples (or neighbors) mind is a car thats goin fast. And it seems to me, that many people will always view "loud" cars as disrespectful/obnoxious, when the reality of it is we just want to grab as much hp/tq as we can, or economy if thats ur thing.

The perfect example is of my friend,
who has never had an accident a day in his life and is one of the safest drivers i know. unfortunatly he drives a mustang, but thats beside the point in this story. He lives in a quite neighborhood in Ct. where the speed limit is 25 MPH. His mother owns a VW Beetle Turbo. Its pretty quite, she typically does about 50mph down the road, all the while she gives and recieves waves from the friendly neighbors. My friends stand has a nice set of pipes on it, that are 100% street legal. But to prove the point i stated above, no matter what speed he travels down his road he never gets a wave from anyone. And this one particular day, he was driving home at about 15mph. 10mph under the limit. As he idled by this 1 house a man came running out of the front door, across the lawn straight towards him. He almost ran right in front of the car. My friend slammed on his brakes, and stopped with ease. The man punches the back of his car and starts screaming: "DONT YOU KNOW THIER ARE KIDS IN THIS NIEGHBORHOOD" . My friend calmy replied, " i know thats what i was goin 10 mph under the limit if it was any faster i would have hit you when u ran in front of me." And the man was so enfuriated that my friend just had to drive away.
What happened to your friend happened to me once... almost exactly the same, I was driving also about 10 under... except I ended up stopped beside the guy's car. As he was going off the handle, just as he did with your friend, my car (idling at the time) set off his car alarm. I was waiting for his head to pop he turned so angry and red

I thought it was quite funny... the ONE time my car sets off an alarm, and it had to be at that moment lol.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Car: 91 rs
Engine: 383 290 cam aed carb
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 4.10 ticking time bomb

Originally Posted by 89RS_82Z
like the title states do people at your car just because its a little loud??? like neighbors, and slow people mainly.. its just people always get at me in the camaro, but in the honda (its quiet) people never get , unless i fry the tires...and trust me, im pretty easy on the maro, i give the honda heck, only thing that makes it kinda loud is a intake on it but still people never get mad at it, and its fast as heck too with that vtec v6, so its not a speed issue its a loud issue

anyway anyone else notice this, got any storys and how you deal with it?? im get pretty X1000 is someone comes up to me and starts runn off and i know its not just me beacuse people get mad at any of my friends that have loud car

hope the mods see this as usefull and dont lock it, id really like to know how others deal with it
I thought it was just me!I can take my 99 malibu and go 60 in a school zone and nobody notices, but I always put around in my camaro and people act like I am charles Manson!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

yea there is some paris hilton sunglass wearing girl in where i live does 60 in a 25 nobody even thinks about it i do 25 and people are MAD!!!!

but i get in the honda and blast through like im at the drag srip and people smile and wave
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

i took this off this board some time ago, but it tells us who we are.
1) It takes you 4 hrs to change the spark plugs
2) You have to worry about breaking your rear end with even stock power
3) When you have to buy tires at least once every year
4) Driving on the on ramp to the highway means wide open throttle..fun!
5) When you go under an overpass or through a tunnel you downshift into first and got full throttle because it sounds like an indy car!!
6) When you're trying to sneak out of the house and you have to push your car about 2 1/2 blocks away just to turn your car so you're not heard at home....
7) You find yourself listening to the exhaust instead of the tunes
8) You can spot another fbody from a half mile by the daytime lights
9) When you take more pics of your car than anything else.
10) When you see someone you know... you drop it down into 1st, slowly roll by them, and tap the accelerator while lookin at them like "yea... you know you're impressed"
11) When you cruise thru the mall parking lots just to see how many car alarms you can set off
12) When you refuse to put on a front liscense plate cuz you gotta see that front bowtie
13) When you meet total strangers with Fbodies that have the same interest and act like old friends from high school..
14) When you are always looking for more traction
15) When old people shake their fist at you.
16) When old guys give you a thumbs up
17) When you park at an angle in a driveway or take up 2 spots in a parking lot
18) When you secretly watch people in the parking lot as you start your car up... and you get a kick out of it when they turn to see what the hell that was
19) You completely disregard fuel economy and just drive for the hell of it!!
20) When you're waiting for your check to clear just so you can add another mod
21) When you tell people not to lean on your car
22) When you dont mind people staring at your car
23) You drive pass an all glass building and just look at your cars reflection
24) When you take the long way to a store just so you can have as much driving time as possible
25) If someone says "strange", you dont think about it being wierd. you think rear ends
26. Your always trying to find out what that "tick" is
27. Instead of trying to beat the redlight, you hope it stops you so you can race from the dig
28. When a conversation starter becomes "So what have you done to her?"
29. when you are coming to a dip in the road too fast, your stomach twists, and you involuntarily pick up your feet cuz you know the exhaust is about to scrape.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 350 tbi
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

haha that list sounds like my firebird
but i've never had anyone complain about my bird other then a cop pullin me over for gunnin it outta town late one night but i have had alot of trouble with meighbors complaining about my pick up exhaust, one guy called us in for flyin so fast by his house that we couldn't stop at the quarter mile away just because our pickup is loud and he can't tell were goin 30 mph
Old 03-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L V6

Originally Posted by tony_cogliandro
23) You drive pass an all glass building and just look at your cars reflection
I am so guilty of this one! For some reason, i just can't look away.

But anyway, my car doesn't make enough noise to make the neighbors mad. The only one I have to worry about is my really old next door neighbor. She backed into my car last year and is mad at me because her insurance payment went up $90 a month... It's not my fault she didn't see the big bright yellow car. Luckily I caught her trying to drive away. She said "Oh, I thought I hit a trashcan..."
Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 PM

Car: 86 T/A WS6/Future project
Engine: 350 TPI/ Pontiac 455
Transmission: 700R4/TH400
Axle/Gears: Posi.

Originally Posted by Yellow92RS
I am so guilty of this one! For some reason, i just can't look away.

But anyway, my car doesn't make enough noise to make the neighbors mad. The only one I have to worry about is my really old next door neighbor. She backed into my car last year and is mad at me because her insurance payment went up $90 a month... It's not my fault she didn't see the big bright yellow car. Luckily I caught her trying to drive away. She said "Oh, I thought I hit a trashcan..."
Thats a crime! she was about to leave knowing the fact she hit your car! shes mad at you because shes in dienal that she acutally did that. lol and how could she miss your car?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:07 AM

Car: 1987 firebird formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed

yeah so this is definitely my kind of topic im 18 and when you hear this you may think my family has money but i assure you my family is definitely middle class. after driving for only 2 years ive had 8 vehicles 3 tickets and been pulled over 12 times hahahaha. i live in a smallish town in michigan where the population is pretty biased AGAINST american muscle. anyway i have two storys ya'll might find funny but to me totally f'ed up. first one:
my second vehicle was a 73 K10 with a 350 running straight to glasspacks loud as hell cuz it leaked too....anyway third week im driving it after fixing it up and my speedo is off by 10 and of course i live in a divided town (it has 3 cities that arent officially cities but have mayors and everything its messed up) and in the smallest one, roosevelt park, you cant barely do 2 over without getting pulled over and probably a ticket, so im driving and my speedo says 35 or so and i get pulled over in my friends driveway for supposedly doing 45 get a ticket loose the fight and pay, i found out from a friend that 4 days later that the same cop pulled over their friend racing 88 through the streets and let them off with a warning

second one:
i had an 88 camaro witht the 2.8 that the kid cut the rear brake lines and left them gaping open. there was a party one night for friend moving to cali and it was BYOB of course im only 17 at the time. so im drivin with my girl right on the edge of roosevelt park the light turns yellow and i go through because i couldnt stop even if i wanted too and of course theres a cop sitting there and pulls me over with my 4 cases of beer and 3 fifths hahahah but they were kind of covered up with the walmart munchie bags. he notices what it is and of course i get a wonderful MIP slapped on me.... i sh*t you not the next night after a worthless run to taco bell i watched with my own to eyes i saw the cop that pulled me over the night before speed up and run a dark red light (almost a full second and a half after it changed from yellow) while i sat at the red light.....i was so pissed hahaha

anyway thats my storys but i can relate to all you guys with the loud cars and people hating me for some strange reason i now have an 87 formula with headers and a flowmaster and no cat so its pretty loud and whenever i drive anywhere people get pissed even just sitting at a gas station. its fun telling them off though especially the fuc*in ricers and stuff

thats my 2 cents