Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Smog pump/pulley and cat removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
Smog pump/pulley and cat removal

Hello all,

Gonna remove my cat for some straight pipe...I seem to be reading I should remove the smog system too...

So the easiest way to do that would be what, a "dud" pulley on the belt right?? (single belt system)

Or would a smaller belt that would skip that pulley reduce the engine "work" as well ??

Will this throw any codes?

Thanks guys
Old 08-13-2008, 01:20 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Re: Smog pump/pulley and cat removal

Have you done a on this board? This topic is very common.

Second, removing your cat on a street vehicle in the United States is a violation of federal emissions laws, regardless of whether your state does emissions testing or not. And, I heard recently that Florida is going to start doing emissions testing now, so you should keep your cat on there. Replace it with a "high-flow" aftermarket cat such as Magnaflow, Catco, or Random Technology and be a responsible hot rodder. It wont hurt anything and it will be an improvement over the stock cat.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Of ocurse I searched that would be where the "I seem to be reading" part came from....reading other posts.
Plenty about smog removal, and plenty about cat removal, but I couldn;t see any that say if yoiu must do the pump if u remove the cat.

I am well aware of the law in Florida, and I'll take my chances until (IF) that law is changed. SO until then if a cop wants to crawl under my car, more power to him!

PS - Straight pipe = $20
High Flow Cat = $80+++++
Nuff said.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z-28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I have removed my cat and the air tubes when I upgraded my exhaust like my sig says. Air pump is still on the car as I have not gotten around to getting the pulley yet. Don't know about smaller belt.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks Hot92.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Car: 1984 z-28
Engine: 305H.O. L69
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 G80 GT4

if you didnt remove the smog/air system you would be left with a tube that goes to where the cat is, it doesnt really take away that much power but it sure does make it easy to change the plugs and makes the engine look cleaner

remove/upgrade cat if you remove air/smog, however, you dont have to remove the air system if you remove the cat.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 PM

Car: 89 chevy camaro rs
Engine: Tbi 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73s

Originally Posted by British Rich
Of ocurse I searched that would be where the "I seem to be reading" part came from....reading other posts.
Plenty about smog removal, and plenty about cat removal, but I couldn;t see any that say if yoiu must do the pump if u remove the cat.

I am well aware of the law in Florida, and I'll take my chances until (IF) that law is changed. SO until then if a cop wants to crawl under my car, more power to him!

PS - Straight pipe = $20
High Flow Cat = $80+++++
Nuff said.
LOL This is so true, I have been running open Hooker 2055s for about 6 months now and so far so good. Live life the way it should be lived.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

look in the tech articles. There is one all about removing the smog pump and putting on a shorter belt without doing a delete pulley
Old 08-14-2008, 05:16 PM

Car: 92 Z-28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I think I am def going to do that. I do not need to spend money if i don't have to. Although the belt will cost money. I think the engine bay will look cleaner w/o it.
EDIT: here is the title of the article:
How to Remove Your Smog Pump From Your Serpentine Belt Equipped Third Gen.

Last edited by hot92RS; 08-14-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: More to say
Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by British Rich

PS - Straight pipe = $20
High Flow Cat = $80+++++
Nuff said.
I guess you wont be doing anything but free mods on your car, because anything that makes real power costs more than $20.

Getting caught with an illegal exhaust on your car = $2500 fine and possible impoundment.

Making 350+ horsepower to the wheels, running 12 second ET's in the quarter mile, getting 25+ miles per gallon on the highway, and passing California's smog test as clean as stock with everything hooked up = priceless!

Its your car and you can do what you want, but remember the old people in Florida have nothing better to do than complain about your loud stinky car.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 PM

Car: 1991 z28 L98 Spec
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI 245\345
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
Have you done a on this board? This topic is very common.

Second, removing your cat on a street vehicle in the United States is a violation of federal emissions laws, regardless of whether your state does emissions testing or not. And, I heard recently that Florida is going to start doing emissions testing now, so you should keep your cat on there. Replace it with a "high-flow" aftermarket cat such as Magnaflow, Catco, or Random Technology and be a responsible hot rodder. It wont hurt anything and it will be an improvement over the stock cat.

I know ur a mod and inform us if there r other post, and wat is legal. But in Florida it is legal to not have a cat, a muffler shop or rather any shop is not allowed to remove or be paid to remove a cat though.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 AM

No, it is not legal to run on the street without a cat. Its a FEDERAL law, that has effect over your state laws.

http://www.epa.gov/EPA-AIR/1999/March/Day-05/a5492.htm

Abstract: Section 203(a) of the Clean Air Act (Act), 42 U.S.C.
7522(a), prohibits removing or rendering inoperative automobile
emission control devices or elements of design and prohibits the sale
or installation of any device that bypasses or renders inoperative
emission control elements of design.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 AM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not enough

Kevin's right

Federal Law/Mandate > State Law/Mandate.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 350 Gm H.O
Transmission: 700r4 built
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Locker

All I know is that in New York if your car is 26 years or older, you can do whatever you want. Throw in a 383, go for the clean pro street look because all they do at the shop is honk your horn, check: headlights, belts, tires, and fluids and occasionally take a car for a test drive to make sure it drives and brakes okay. Then they slap on your little inspection sticker and the state gets its money and you get to ride off in your street machine. As for any other state no idea. I don't know for sure but I figure if GM made your car with the smog equipment, it probably will run better and get better gas mileage if you keep it. Really if you ever want to get headers the smog pump is only three bolts and a rubber hose. So it is easy to take it out and put it back in if you ever need to. But if you wan to get rid of it, you can by a smog pump delete pulley for your car from hawks. I have heard all mixed opinions on catalytic converters. Some say if you have a mild or stock vehicle your car will bog down if you don't have enough exhaust flow and a high flow cat will give you more power on a mild or stock application. Some people say it throws a code and some say their cars run fine. If it does throw a code go to a shop and have them turn off your check engine light. But if you really don't want your cat then take a screwdriver and hammer and bang out the inside material and bolt it back in so it still looks like you have one. You will get a more throaty sound as well but consider yourself warned if you do this, your car may bog and you will end up getting a high flow cat anyway. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:29 AM

The you explain the fact that I have no cat, my car was inspected and notified that I had no cat, but was not charged with any fines or not even a fix it ticket.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Car: 2000 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 4.10s

Originally Posted by DemonYusuke
The you explain the fact that I have no cat, my car was inspected and notified that I had no cat, but was not charged with any fines or not even a fix it ticket.

You just got lucky bud. Not hard to explain.

And what part of FL do you live in that you were tested? I have friends and family throughout the state, as well as myself, and none of us have ever been inspected.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:13 PM

When I got into the Pro-street drag circut I had to pass a federal inspection.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by IROCJoyce
All I know is that in New York if your car is 26 years or older, you can do whatever you want.
No, you cannot. Just because your car is no longer inspected, does not mean you are free to remove parts. As said above, federal law says you cannot remove, disable, or tamper with emissions devices on a street car for as long as the car is on the street. That supercedes all state laws.

However, yes, if nobody is checking then whatever you can get away with is your business.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:44 AM

Car: '91 RS Camaro
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
No, you cannot. Just because your car is no longer inspected, does not mean you are free to remove parts. As said above, federal law says you cannot remove, disable, or tamper with emissions devices on a street car for as long as the car is on the street. That supercedes all state laws.

However, yes, if nobody is checking then whatever you can get away with is your business.
100% correct!

But for those of us in Florida... There are no inspections whatsoever anywhere in the state. And they have no plans to bring it back, it was all canned in 2001. But I will tell you this, I had a car that was extremely loud, and an officer actually looked under my car for a CAT. Lets just say I got lucky. I could have been screwed just like Kevin said. So its all up to you, theres risk, because you can still get caught and fined even though we don't have inspections.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...questions.html
https://www.thirdgen.org/serpentine

Check out those links for help

It shouldn't throw any codes. And its much cheaper to get a larger belt than it is to buy the delete pulley.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:24 PM

NO actually in New york, stated on the dmv website, if your car is 26 years or older you are exempt from emissions testing and only go through the safety. Look at the 1990 Federal clean air act. That is a federal act and overides the precedent. SO if your car is 26 years or older or have it listed under historic you can do what you want in New york.

You can even check this website out if you don't believe me.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm
Old 09-13-2008, 01:24 AM

NO actually in New york, stated on the dmv website, if your car is 26 years or older you are exempt from emissions testing and only go through the safety. Look at the 1990 Federal clean air act. That is a federal act and overides the precedent. SO if your car is 26 years or older or have it listed under historic you can do what you want in New york.

You can even check this website out if you don't believe me.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm
"The emission control devices are examined if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them."

Just because your not inspected for it, doesnt mean its legal for you to do what you want to your car. Or you just may be looking at it this way, "not illegal till you get caught".
Old 09-13-2008, 05:33 PM

Car: 1968 chevelle

kevin whats up with your 60 foot times? 1.9? ew
Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 PM

nimrod_69 You missed the part that says "The vehicle model years affected are indicated"

• Catalytic converter (CAT) - all model years
  • Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) - all model years
  • Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV) - all model years
  • Air injection system (AIS) - 1984 and newer
  • Evaporative emission control (EVAP) - 1984 and newer
  • Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR) - 1984 and newer
  • Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC) - 1984 and newer

You only have to keep your catalytic converter, egr, and pcv. And If your car is 26 years or older your A.I.S, EVAP, FIR, and TAC can all be dumped in the garbage. Although I reccomend keeping everything on your original motor that came with emissions equipment because GM built the original motors with all emissions equipment. So most of the time to keep your motor running good you need eveyrthing. Although like I said you can put any motor in your car in the state of New york if you get: a manifold with EGR, keep your PCV and buy any cat you want, it will pass any inspection if it 26 years or older. Awesome car by the way. The blackouts look really good with the white.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 AM

nimrod_69 You missed the part that says "The vehicle model years affected are indicated"

• Catalytic converter (CAT) - all model years
  • Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) - all model years
  • Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV) - all model years
  • Air injection system (AIS) - 1984 and newer
  • Evaporative emission control (EVAP) - 1984 and newer
  • Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR) - 1984 and newer
  • Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC) - 1984 and newer

You only have to keep your catalytic converter, egr, and pcv. And If your car is 26 years or older your A.I.S, EVAP, FIR, and TAC can all be dumped in the garbage. Although I reccomend keeping everything on your original motor that came with emissions equipment because GM built the original motors with all emissions equipment. So most of the time to keep your motor running good you need eveyrthing. Although like I said you can put any motor in your car in the state of New york if you get: a manifold with EGR, keep your PCV and buy any cat you want, it will pass any inspection if it 26 years or older. Awesome car by the way. The blackouts look really good with the white.
It says those are the model years affected for inspection, or devices for inspection. Its still not legal to do what you want to your car... It says nothing like that. Just whats inspected and what models are not. But you can still get away with it

Thanks for the car comment. Unfortunately it was killed by a horse.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:34 AM

But if emissions are checked through inspection and the police look at the same things, than what else are you supposed to worry about?

Oh man sorry to hear that. poor camaro. Horse ruined a perfect CAMARO!!! Do you have another thirdgen to cruise around in?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:35 PM

But if emissions are checked through inspection and the police look at the same things, than what else are you supposed to worry about?

Oh man sorry to hear that. poor camaro. Horse ruined a perfect CAMARO!!! Do you have another thirdgen to cruise around in?
Still wont be legal but that is a very damn good point. I can understand that if an officer is worried about emissions devices on a car, theyed only check to see what is legally checked by the state. I can already think of all kinds of thing to say to an officer after getting pulled over LOL.

O yes, I know, I so miss that Z03! But yeah I have a 91' Camaro 305 5-speed. Its not as pretty as the Z03, but in way better condition. In and out, and its a manual WOO!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:13 PM

Oh man your a funny guy!! haha Yeah officer it says here on my DMV printout that if my car is 26 years or older I don't have to have all of my emissions, I don't know what to tell ya. and the list goes on hahaha

Ooo you get to rip on a 5 speed! Awesome. Glad to hear you have another cool car. I have a dual gate in my 700r4. Churps second here and there. Good talk nimrod69
Old 09-14-2008, 11:41 PM

Oh man your a funny guy!! haha Yeah officer it says here on my DMV printout that if my car is 26 years or older I don't have to have all of my emissions, I don't know what to tell ya. and the list goes on hahaha

Ooo you get to rip on a 5 speed! Awesome. Glad to hear you have another cool car. I have a dual gate in my 700r4. Churps second here and there. Good talk nimrod69
All Id say is, "look officer, it says I passed. I have no idea what you mean by no CAT." LOL

Yeah, the tranny is the reason why I got this car. I traded a 2000 Firebird for it!

Ironic, this car also has a straight pipe And Im looking into getting rid of all the smog stuff
Old 09-16-2008, 01:10 AM

As nimrod said, just because you are exempt from being checked does NOT mean you are allowed to remove emissions devices. Federal law still takes precedence over state law, and federal law says all street cars that came from the factory with emissions devices must continue to have them for as long as the car is driven on the street. I very highly doubt the state law says you can remove parts. They would get into a lot of trouble with the feds if so. You just wont be checked any more for the parts, that's all.

And until you can prove that you can beat my ET, my power level, and get better than 25 miles per gallon on the highway, you're still not gaining anything over me, as I have all my emissions devices hooked up and working, and I pass CA's tough smog test as clean as stock 2 years ago. I have to go thru the test again next month with my new engine, so we'll see what happens. But I dont think I'll have any problems, as a friend with this combo passed easily.

zddp, my 60' times suck because I cant launch. Simple as that. My best 60' time is a 1.83, that was a 12.83 ET. My dad got in my car later and got a 1.71 but not a faster ET.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 PM

never read so much drama over a stupid smog test who cares were all lucky to live past 60 then it dont matter neways