Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Which headers... the question goes on

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROCZ
Engine: 383
Transmission: T5 Borg Warner
Axle/Gears: 3.08... looking to fix it
Which headers... the question goes on

I have an 89 IROC 350 swap with the WC T5 trans. I (sadly) still have the manifolds that came with the car (when it was in fact a 305). I've been reading a bunch of threads about LT's vs shorty headers, and shopping around to see what I can some up with. The consensus seems to be that if you are going to keep the car street friendly shorty's are the way to go to keep clearance. I'm sold on that idea. However, I did notice that Hawks makes a y pipe for the Hooker super comp LTs. But again, clearance. Looks like shortys it is.

I've been trying to get a hold of Dyno Don for a while now, and can't get a definitive answer on when he will have headers done to ship out. I'm sort of on a time crunch. I bought the spohn sfc, and i'm planning on putting in sparco seats (not sure which yet, but i'm leaning toward the Chrono road seats... I think...). I wanted to do all of this as a packaged deal since the sfc's are weld in, and I need to tare up the interior to weld them in and not catch the car on fire (or safely anyway). And since I have to fight with the current exhaust to get the sfc's in, I figure put some headers on too. Why not right?

I guess I have two questions. Obviously Dyno Don headers are choice 1. If I can't get that to come through in time, should I go hooker 2055's or hooker 2460? Hooker says the 2055's are tuned, but i'm going to have to cut off, or plug the air tubes if I go that route (emissions exempt vehicle from this point on). I'm going to replace the motor mounts with stock rubber ones (I hear things fit better with fresh mounts).
2055's or 2460's? Anyone else have another idea? I'm looking for good flowing headers I can build my engine to.

Also seats. I'm looking for comfortable, but not stupid expensive. I'm not trying to drop more than 800$ on seats... but will if I have to... you know? I'm just looking for input. Anything anyone can suggest would be great.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:26 AM

Car: 91' z28
Engine: rebuilt 350
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Which headers... the question goes on

I had pretty much the same question a few days ago and from what I learned on here im goin with Dyno Don, if i couldnt get dyno dons i was goin with hooker 2055 from summit. There priced around 800 and are said to be "the best mass produced shorties." Everyones got different taste just search headers on this site and youll find enough info to satisfy your decision.

mike
Old 07-13-2008, 09:43 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: Probuilt 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

When I ordered my headers from dyno don it took him a month to make the headers and y pipe. I can't see it taking any longer than that. But in my opinion they are worth the wait. TRUST ME!
Old 07-13-2008, 11:59 AM

thanks a lot for the input. My thoughts were the 2055's also, but I was really looking for a second opinion. Awesome.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of Dyno Don directly, like a phone number or anything? A direct email address? I've found it very difficult to get a hold of him recently. Last I heard, he had a few sets finished except the primary tubes. He said he was waiting on them, so I'm hoping they will be done in the next.... well soon.

My time crunch is that I have to head back to school the end of August, and I was REALLY trying to get sfc's, headers and seats done before then because I work at a shop and had the time, means, and help to get all this done in a few days. After August, I go to school full time, and it makes not having a car hard since I work 40 miles from school.

I really hope I can work with Don, I'm just... getting impatient I guess. All I hear is how great the headers are, and I want them. I'm just... running out of time I guess? Bleh.

Has anyone done a dyno comparison between Don's headers and anything else? Compared to stock, compared to shorty's (any), compared to LT's? Just curious I suppose.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 PM

Car: 91' z28
Engine: rebuilt 350
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: stock

type in dyno don headers in the search box there was one thread i think someone compared dyno don headers to slp's...it turned out that the dyno don headers increased hp and tq...he makes them specially for our third gens so they gotta be good. His headers from what i read are based upon slp's 1 3/4 just modified specially for our cars. Im hopin to order a set of his headers someitme today...keeping my fingers crossed. Im in the same boat as you kinda im away at school finishin up this summer and i blew my 305 so im doing a 350 swap at a local shop and im on a bit of a time crunch but I want to do things right so i dont mind waiting for dyno dons headers...
Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Dyno Don is my father, so I can help a little. We have to apologize about the long wait, but he has a local header guy bend up the pipes, then Don welds them together, installs the AIR tubes or not, and then sends them out for ceramic coating. The header guy has a very busy shop also building headers for race cars and sand-buggies, so unfortunately Don isnt the highest priority. Don is constantly over there bugging the guy to get his stuff done, but its still slow going.

If you cant wait another couple weeks, then either a set of used SLP's, or Hooker 2055's would be my next choice.

Also remember, just because your car doesnt get emissions-tested, it does not mean you can remove the emissions devices from your car. They still provide a valuable function in cleaning up our air, and by leaving them on you are being a responsible hot rodder and helping the rest of us fight against ignorant politicians who want to ban all car modifications.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks a lot for the info Kevin. I want to buy your dad's headers, and I understand that it's out of his hands at this point, I'm just trying to figure out what the time frame is to get the headers. I'm willing to wait for probably another month (to receive the headers) but I really can't wait any longer than that. Can you please have him PM me back? If he can have them done before mid August, I will get my money in order and send it to you all. Again, I'm not trying to be a neusance, just trying to get my plans in order you know?
Thanks again for filling us all in.