Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Magnaflow Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow Installed

I finaly installed the magnaflow on my 89' GTA. First thing I noticed is that this kit was very well packaged. The last exhaust I installed was a $900 MBRP 4" stainless duals on my truck. That kit was packaged like crap and I had to round the ends of all the pipes to get them to go together. The second thing I noticed was how nice the bends were. This kit was the most well designed kit I have ever seen. It fit perfect. For someone like me that gets a little crazy about the tips being centered and level this is a perfect product. I also like the fact that the 3.5" tips are long enough so you don't see where they go down to 2.5". I would have liked it to be a little louder. All in all, I don't think you could buy a better system.

Phil
Old 07-03-2008, 05:45 PM

Car: 91RS, 91RS
Engine: 305TBI, 3.1MP
Transmission: WCT5, TH700
Re: Magnaflow Installed

Nice mod, I've allways heard good things about the Magnaflow products. And the stainless tips look great. That, and it will probably get louder with age and use.

Not to nit pick, but is this pass. side tip a little lower? Could just be the angle of the pic.

Max,
Old 07-03-2008, 05:50 PM

It's just the pic. The whole exhaust is stainless, not just the tips. I gutted the cat to try and make it a little louder but it didn't help much. My wife drives it so I don't really care if it gets louder.

Phil
Old 07-04-2008, 07:45 AM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 385 Fast Burn
Transmission: 700R4 - stock (eep!)
Axle/Gears: Stock, will upgrade at some point

to try and make it a little louder
Yeesh! I have these as well and I wouldn't want it any louder at wide open. My friend works in the same place I do and he was out for a smoke, which is right next to the onramp to the highway. He heard me before I was past him!

He told me the next day he thought "what the heck is that!" and then he saw me zip past. I'll have to try and get a vid of it, I don't want that kind of attention if a cop is near hehe!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Maby we have different systems. I thought there was only one. This is no where near loud I can't hear a difference between this system and the factory system when I am driving it with the T-tops out. It has a great sound but there could be more of it.

Phil
Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: sold

I love my magnaflow muffler, but I am not to hot on the tips that you have. I like not being able to see the tips.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 AM

I am not a fan of any tips on the exhaust either but they are welded on at the factory so you are stuck with them unless you want to cut them off. They are long enough and go under the car far enough that you can't tell that they are just tips. It doesn't look bad. I had tips for the system I bought for my truck and I never put them on.

Phil
Old 07-04-2008, 09:34 AM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 385 Fast Burn
Transmission: 700R4 - stock (eep!)
Axle/Gears: Stock, will upgrade at some point

Originally Posted by Samdweezel05
Maby we have different systems. I thought there was only one. This is no where near loud I can't hear a difference between this system and the factory system when I am driving it with the T-tops out. It has a great sound but there could be more of it.
Hmm! Valid point, my headers/motor is the different. Do you have the same problem with moisture with them? I started up the car this week with the tail facing the garage and when I got home there was a black spit mark on the door. Seems I'm getting condensation and I'd be interested if you are getting the same.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 AM

I have only driven the car about 20 miles with the exhaust on it. I havn't noticed any moisture yet. We installed a magnaflow cat back system on a 06' corvette a couple of weeks ago as well and we are seeing alot of water out of that one. If I get a chance to drive the car this weekend I will see.

Phil
Old 07-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

To the OP, what motor is in the car?

As to the moisture problem - magnaflow is a packed muffler (similar to a glasspack, but different) and therefore the packing in the muffler will hang on to some moisture and soot when the car is running. When it cools down, it condenses into water, and then will eventually work its way out.

My last car I had big oval glasspacks on, and after shutting off the car on a cold day - the tips would billow steam long after.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

ive had the magnaflow set up for about a year now, i love em. when i first started them up after install i was like what? very quiet, but as you drive it more and more the packing (im guessing) melts up a little. i was told they get pretty nasty in sound over time but mine are sounding pretty good for just a stock 305 (for now) i never stood behind it either for a while until my friend revved it up for me as i was behind it, sounds good!
the tips are rad i got mine just barely sticking out so you can see MAGNAFLOW and thats it. love it even since everywhere i go i hear flowmaster at every freakin corner weather its a blue oval or a bowtie..
never noticed anywater or condensation, could it do with location? like geographical wise?
Old 07-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: sold

I am hoping mine will break in, and get alittle louder....