Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Fabricated stove pipe provision for keeping your TBI motor w/ headers smog legal

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008 | 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Fabricated stove pipe provision for keeping your TBI motor w/ headers smog legal

This was today's project. Headers are SLP 1-3/4" shortys. Edelbrock makes the only 50 state legal headers for TBI. However, there are other headers that are 50 state legal for TPI (No stove pipe) and there is nothing that says you can't use these headers on a TBI car other than the fact that there is no stove pipe. This is my solution.

Scraps are I think 1-3/4" exhaust pipe and 2-1/4" exhaust pipe.

Thanks to Delta Muffler (Pittsburg, CA) for the scraps and welding.

Cut large piece down the middle.

A little time on the grinder with the smaller piece.

Make a hole

Weld it up.

Tada.

The wrap is there because there are some rough spots from the cutting torch and I didn't want to muck up the coating. My stove pipe isn't functional, I just need to pass the visual. If you want to keep it functional you can clean up the burs and add spacers so it sucks nice warm emissions-lowering air into your engine.

Last edited by Darkshot; 04-05-2008 at 08:08 PM.