Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

any catalytic converter recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: any catalytic converter recommendations?

Yup, figured.

It's called an education. They're free to those under 18. You should look into getting one.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 edge 3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.73

apparently got more of an education than u bitch EVERYONE and their mother knows cats rob horsepower. Im done with this thread you just HAVE to quote me and TALK **** and start a flame war
Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Back when the catalyst was bonded to gravel, there was a major loss. When the catalyst is bonded to a ceramic honeycomb, things got SIGNIFICANTLY better. Now with the latest-and-greatest spun-metal subtrates, losses are nil.

If you'd take the time to read the article I suggested in the newest GRM magazine, you'd see that most of the tested cats did not reduce power in the lease.

If you can't afford $120, then you shouldn't own a car.

Again, I have no problem whatsoever with crushing cars that have had working emissions equipment removed. Granted, there are systems that do nothing for emissions, but when things like the cat, the EGR system, the PCV system and the EVAP system are scrapped, then there should at least be some hefty FEDERAL fines. Emissions testing or not.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Supreme Member

-Yeah and our cars had the old cats therefore they are very obstructive for flow

- I realize the new high flow cats flow better than the old ones but they dont flow as good as a straight pipe. Horsepower is horsepower

-I can afford 120 dollars, I just aint gonna waste money on a cat when i dont even get emission tested thats just stupid

-Well thats your OPINION people try passing opinions off as facts. EGR robs HP and most aftermarket intakes dont have provisions for it, not to mention the sludge it builds in your intake. EVAP canister just takes up room in the engine bay and looks ugly. PVC system I would keep unless my intake didnt have provisions id just get breathers.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: Ls1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27

Originally Posted by Rayzor32
dont ****in tell me to get my head outta tailpipes mother****er your ****ing retarded if you think a cat isnt going to affect flow r u ****ing kidding me ur a dumbshit like a said leave your cat on and go slow ill take mine off and have performance exhaust AND scrap it for ~$40 and not waste 120 dollars on a "hi flow" cat thats only going to be "hi flow" for a year or so till it gets dirty then will flow like crap yous can keep thinkin what you want but your a ****in ****
Gee you really come off like an *** with this post don't you? I have agree that there is a VERY small power loss with a cat however, it is not worth making your car illegal for such a small gain, do you find it that hard to make another 3 or 4 horsepower? this isn't rocket science people.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

are you kidding me dude im sittin here minding mine own business saying you guys can keep your cats and your opinions but im gonna take mine off and see you in the rearview, and vanilla sky comes along tryin to start **** callin me an idiot trying to make me look ignorant and im not just gonna sit here and take that ****!! I can take the 120 dollars I saved plus the ~40 for scrapping the cat and put that towards speed parts. Some of you guys are the same people that spend 60 dollars on an AIR FOIL to get 2 horsepower.

Last edited by Rayzor32; 04-02-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 PM

1. At least we agree on something. Our stock cats are garbage.

2. Cats step up to a larger body to maintain the flow. Think of them more like a resonator. As long as your cat can flow more than your engine, power loss will be at or very near zero.

3. Federal offense. It's something that's not really enforced now, but I see if in the cards. May be next year, may be in 20 years. I'd rather not take the chance. And yeah, in some emissions exempt areas, the police carry a mirror on a pole to check for a cat. I've only heard of the mirrors being used in this manner when the car was part of street racing, and even then, it was only a "fix-it" ticket. Still seems to happen.

4. EGR, when set up and working properly can allow you to run higher compression or more boost. Intakes get rid of EGR more for looks than anything else. The EVAP canister burns the evaporated fuel off while at idle instead of venting it into the atmosphere. PVC helps maintain a better piston ring seal and helps reduce pumping losses.

The sludge issue with EGR comes down to a proper setup. Using a smaller EVAP canister hidden away is what I use when I want it gone. As for PCV, I'll go out of my way to be sure it's operating fully.

There are ways to get around emissions crap if you work with, not against.

And as has already been brought up, you can sell your old cat for $50, and put a new direct bolt-in cat for a bit over $100, or a universal for around $80.

Last edited by Vanilla Sky; 04-02-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

yous can go ahead and keep it ill just see yous in my rearview
You'll need to post some dyno numbers and a 1/4 mile ET before you flop out your internet ***** like that. You fail to post a signature, but from your profile your car is anywhere from half a second faster to a full second slower than mine. I'm betting its the latter. And I pass CA's smog test, get 25 miles per gallon on the highway, and daily drive my car.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Well A) i dont have to pass a smog test B)Im not wasting 300 dollars for a dyno test C)The only track here is 1/8 mile, but i'll do the math for you when I go when its SUMMER and its OPEN D)you get such great HIGHWAY MPG cuz you got a T56. I also daily drive my car from april/may to october

I got the motor pulled right now but before it spun a rod, it was pushing 380-400hp at the fly, and what im dropping in is gonna have be 400++hp, maybe even a few extra 'goodies' i'll let you know!!! Im pretty confident in high 12s
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44

Well A) i dont have to pass a smog test B)Im not wasting 300 dollars for a dyno test C)The only track here is 1/8 mile, but i'll do the math for you when I go when its SUMMER and its OPEN D)you get such great HIGHWAY MPG cuz you got a T56. I also daily drive my car from april/may to october

I got the motor pulled right now but before it spun a rod, it was pushing 380-400hp at the fly, and what im dropping in is gonna have be 400++hp, maybe even a few extra 'goodies' i'll let you know!!! Im pretty confident in high 12s
If your car weighs the same and you can put down 355 RWHp like Kevin and you raced him... it's not going to boil down to who has a cat and who doesn't. It will be a driver's race. If he took off his cat and smog pump, he's not going to beat you just because of the extra 5-10 Hp he might be freeing up... it will still remain a driver's race.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=327_TPI_77_Maro;3702046]I understand that adapters are available. I didn't think anyone in their right mind would reduce the size coming off the Y pipe DOWN to a smaller cat. That is the worst setup ever and it needs to come off.

I know it is a terrible setup and that is why I started this post to find out if anyone had any recommendations on a good 3" cat, but clearly this thread has gotten way out of hand. Anyway, I again appreciate all of the help I was given in making my determination. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

Edit: Totally didn't notice there were two pages. What I say still stands though.

Wow. He's retarded? Spelling, grammar, and punctuation make him sound like such a moron. That, and he has the idea that, "Hey, maybe I want my kids to breathe clean air one day." You are the person that the bigwigs in California think about when they create these draconic laws that will soon be affecting the entire United States.

Personally, I want to update my emissions system to be in line with newer vehicles, but can't do that legally unless I do something like swap in an LS1. 80's tech cats were horrible. No joke. If you still have an 80's cat, swap it with a new one. The technological advances are amazing. Better flow, better filtration, all results in a cleaner more powerful engine.

But I guess "yous will be seeing me in yous rearview." Or maybe I'll be seeing you in mine when your car is determined to be illegal for use on the roads and highways of the United States.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 AM

A) But your car is still subject to federal rules and regulations regarding the emissions devices it came with from the factory.

B) I just paid $80 for 5 dyno pulls and did my own tuning in between pulls last Saturday. If you're paying $300 you're getting ripped off.

C) My fastest 1/8 mile time is 8.25 @ 87 MPH. What's yours?

D) California sucks, but I can drive my car year round. A T56 doesnt make my car get that much better fuel mileage. In fact, 6th gear pulls the RPMs down so low it lugs the engine and gets worse mileage unless I'm speeding 80+. I leave it in 5th most of the time, which is practically the same ratio as the overdrive in your automatic.

You dont care about emissions but you're only shooting for 400 HP and high 12's? Gee, why remove the emissions then? You're not going any faster than me, WITH my emissions equipment "slowing me down so much".

ItalianZ, you can use any 3" cat from Magnaflow, Catco, or Random Tech. They all have universal cats with the air pipe on the side.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

I really dont care if my car is illegal or not, the law never stopped me from doing anything!! Damn 80 bucks for 5 dyno pulls, I wish i could find that place, thats a hell of a deal. I'm shooting for at least 400, but like i said its gonna be 400+, but I may be adding nitrous to that number b/c i might buy a slightly used zz4 shortblock from a friend. Emissions stuff is just ugly clutter, headaches, and less hp, period. Thats why they call it "EMISSIONS CRAP". That sucks that you live in CALI so you gotta have it. If you didnt youd probably sing a different tune. Anyway i'll let you know what i run. I should be done with my car and have it on the road by the end of this month. Last time I checked 400+ hp and 12s were pretty damn good for 350 cubic inches. Add 50 more hp and you got enough to rival an LS6 (minus the torque)
HSR (no provisions for EGR)
SLP hedders (no provisions for air)
Smog Pump delete (wastes hp)
Cat delete (restricts flow, allows the option for a more free flowing exhaust)

With your T56, you can run 4.10s and still cruise on the highway with low rpms. The 6th gear is just insane.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23

yous can go ahead and keep it ill just see yous in my rearview
Well let's see.

I really dont care if my car is illegal or not, the law never stopped me from doing anything!! Damn 80 bucks for 5 dyno pulls, I wish i could find that place, thats a hell of a deal. I'm shooting for at least 400, but like i said its gonna be 400+, but I may be adding nitrous to that number b/c i might buy a slightly used zz4 shortblock from a friend. Emissions stuff is just ugly clutter, headaches, and less hp, period. Thats why they call it "EMISSIONS CRAP".
I see.

Anyway i'll let you know what i run. I should be done with my car and have it on the road by the end of this month. Last time I checked 400+ hp and 12s were pretty damn good for 350 cubic inches. Add 50 more hp and you got enough to rival an LS6 (minus the torque)
Hrmm Looks to me like my car, with two brand new bullet cats (cost like $150 each), Air injection, and passes emissions with flying colors (on the emissions dyno) will be at the time slip booth finding out how my run was, right around the same time you cross the 1000 foot mark..

No reason to start the screaming and cussing, even if someone does call you out. We're all trying to be friends here .

-- Joe
Old 04-05-2008, 01:24 AM

I really dont care if my car is illegal or not, the law never stopped me from doing anything!!
I guess we'll see you on America's Most Wanted, next.

Emissions stuff is just ugly clutter, headaches, and less hp, period. Thats why they call it "EMISSIONS CRAP".
Ugly? Well I wouldnt call it ugly but its not pretty either. The air tubes and air divert valves are the only things you can see. The EGR is buried under the plenum and the cat is under the car, so you cant call them ugly and in the way. Only the ignorant call it crap. Those of us with a little understand know the reason why its there and will put up with it.

That sucks that you live in CALI so you gotta have it. If you didnt youd probably sing a different tune.
You're right, you have me there. If I didnt have to pass a visual test I'd throw on a Holley Stealth Ram. Since I cant, I've gone with the next best thing, siamesed runners.

Anyway i'll let you know what i run. I should be done with my car and have it on the road by the end of this month. Last time I checked 400+ hp and 12s were pretty damn good for 350 cubic inches. Add 50 more hp and you got enough to rival an LS6 (minus the torque)
Please do, I'm always interested in other people's combinations so we can compare notes and tell the newbies what to do and what not to do.

HSR (no provisions for EGR)
SLP hedders (no provisions for air)
Smog Pump delete (wastes hp)
Cat delete (restricts flow, allows the option for a more free flowing exhaust)

With your T56, you can run 4.10s and still cruise on the highway with low rpms. The 6th gear is just insane.
I have yet to see a dyno number comparing the smog pump pulley installed and removed. Its just a pulley pushing air. Your air conditioning (when on) power steering, and your water pump will suck more power than the air pump will. And about cats, again, the aftermarket "high-flow" ones dont suck up hardly any power at all. In fact, here's a link to Magnaflow's website where they prove it:
http://images.magnaflow.com/05news/m.../catalytic.pdf

Yes its a 4-cylinder import, but they show a 1 horsepower loss between a straight pipe and a Magnaflow cat. Double that for a V8, and you have a 2 horsepower loss. Big whoop! You can lose ten pounds off your body or off your car and gain that power back.