Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Stupid question about dual exhaust - can I convert from single?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 03:20 PM

Car: Camaro RS '91
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto w/ TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Stupid question about dual exhaust - can I convert from single?

OK, this might be a stupid question but help me out.
My Camaro is an RS which basically means one cat, one exhaust, one muffler and two tips.
Everything I read about exhaust talks about double exhaust, crossover and the appropriate mufflers.
My question is: can I change my exhaust system to dual + x-over and if so what should I do with the O2 sensor, can I use just one or do I need to update the ECM to work with 2 O2 sensors?
Assuming I can do the change, when I shop for headers and cats can I assume that whatever fits an IROC/Z28 will fit a converted RS?

Most people recommend a 2 1/2" exhaust system, now that's in a dual which means even is I upgrade my system and to 2 1/2" (single though) my setup is still 1/2 the size of a dual setup.

I'll admit it, this is more than one question but you understand what I'm trying to get at.

I have a 350 I'm working on to replace my 305 and I figured, while I'm at it I should upgrade the exhaust so any suggestions/direction/advice/links/pictures etc are welcome.

Thanks

D.
Old 03-03-2008 | 06:55 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: Probuilt 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Stupid question about dual exhaust - can I convert from single?

I would stick with a 3 inch cat back with 1 3/4 shorty's. If you go dual it will cost a pretty penny and will have some ground clearance problems. Some people on this board have done a good job with dual exhaust, but still you will only get 3 or 4 inches of clearance, but if this is a street car, I would advise against it. A 3 inch catback is enough exhaust for most people on this board. If your going to make more than roughly 400 horse than something different should be done.
Old 03-03-2008 | 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 BMW M5

Keep the single, you will spend a fortune and gain zero power going to duals. A 2.5 single catback is enough for a lot of 305 cars...The 3" on a 350 is fine.
Old 03-03-2008 | 09:15 PM

Car: 87 GTA / 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI / 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

well i got a stock style dual exhaust but it $$$, however i love it and i am pleased with it, i wanted something different, got shorty headers, x pipe and dual exhaust cross flow
Attached Thumbnails Stupid question about dual exhaust - can I convert from single?-sspx0267.jpg  
Old 03-03-2008 | 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 BMW M5

Actually if you want to be "different" on this board, you keep a 3" or 4" single exhaust. lol I think more people have tried to put dual exhausts on v6 cars and 305 cars. I'm surprised I haven't seen truck stacks that go through the floor, through the interior, and through the roof. Someone has probably done it but just not posted pictures.
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:26 PM

Car: Camaro RS '91
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto w/ TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 2.73

3" it is then. I didn't realized that's what the non RS F-Bodys had as well. For some reason I though the IROCs and Z28s had dual.
I'll probably go with long tubes coated, aftermarket cat, 3" cat back and a new muffler.
If you can recommend anything for this (brands, part numbers, etc) that would be great. I know there is a sticky about what to get for your exhaust system but it would be nice if somebody actually listed all the parts, more like: here's what I've got and it works for me now go buy the same parts and it will work for you too.
I understand there is a huge number of possible combinations but this is why we have this forum, to share the knowledge.
I read the sticky about Hooker headers but it looks like a challenge. I'm trying to figure out what would be easier to install and also provide decent ground clearance.

My car is a street car but not a daily driver. I go auto crossing a few times a year but that's about it.
The plan for the 350 is to put out about 400HP but I have a feeling that number will go down once I actually start the build because of the cost for the parts that would allow me to get 400 HP. We'll see. Anyway, I'll plan my exhaust for 400 to be on the safe side.

Thank you all for your answers.
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:44 PM

Car: Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z,96 Vette
Engine: 350 5.7 Liter
Transmission: 700r

Yea I got a 350 with stock headers and catback exhaust (3 1/2) and wouldnt change because its not worth it. Too much money and not enough results to convince me. If I were doing a whole swap then I would but just go with a whole new single cat exhaust system.
Old 03-04-2008 | 09:58 PM

Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

Originally Posted by 327_TPI_77_Maro
Actually if you want to be "different" on this board, you keep a 3" or 4" single exhaust. lol I think more people have tried to put dual exhausts on v6 cars and 305 cars. I'm surprised I haven't seen truck stacks that go through the floor, through the interior, and through the roof. Someone has probably done it but just not posted pictures.
I actually have thought about it a few times. Stacks would be sick, but I just dont see how it would be practical. You would have to get a notchback hatch or something and the heat and noise inside the car would be rediculous. Not to mention trying to find a way to seal around them.

I think if you really want stacks, this would be the best way to do it: