Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Big cam, straight pipes. Exhaust popping on deceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T-5
Big cam, straight pipes. Exhaust popping on deceleration?

As a guy that is involved with high horse cars, I know this pop isnt really a bad thing, but people that dont know cars think Im just running really bad. I want to get rid of this loud pop.

Right now its got shorty headers, 3 inch collector, 3 inch y-pipe, and a 3 (3 1/2?) inch cat back. I dont know any specifics on the engine, or the exhaust. I got it off an 83 z28 that didnt pay his bill on his new tranny. $600 later I had the engine, exhaust, and intake.

Here is how the car sounds now. Notice that pop at the end?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAaSuh-9nwA
Old 01-30-2008, 01:35 AM

Car: 1990 T-Top Camaro RS
Engine: engineless
Transmission: Trannyless
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt/3.08. soon to be axleless
Re: Big cam, striaght pipes. Exhaust popping on deceleration?

i kinda dig that popping sound.
and if people say that it doesnt sound right really dont know cars lol my sister doesnt know cars and she says cars that sound loppy (big cam) sounds like its going to stall and die and that it doesnt sound right.
haha
Old 01-30-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

I think that clip sounds great, what mufflers do you have?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

I love that sound. Every real racecar I've ever seen pops on deceleration. I wish mine did that!

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's caused by unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust. Under deceleration not much of the fuel is actaully getting burned so it just hits hot exhaust pipe and will ignite if it has enough heat and oxygen to do so, hence the pops.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 01-30-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:02 AM

Car: Forrest 91 t/a
Engine: 5.0 tpi w/underdrive/accel,full 3"
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 pos

sounds like headers, no cat, flow master 80 series 3" w/ 2 1/2" out's. cuase thats how mine sounds

I know you can do a better burnout than that.

Last edited by ezliving4ume; 02-01-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ezliving4ume
sounds like headers, no cat, flow master 80 series 3" w/ 2 1/2" out's. cuase thats how mine sounds

I know you can do a better burnout than that.
Lol, its straight pipes, No muffler at all.

Ya, that burnout was REALLY lame. My stock tach was jacked up, so I am still waiting on my new one. Once I have that I can do a second gear 4k drop, then we can watch them light up
Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 376 Likes on 304 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

longtubes will help the sound abit. also a bullet style race muffler will help out the pop. may give abit more rasp, but not too much more.

also, if you dont have a 3.5" intermediate pipe, and it realy is a dual 3inch header collectors into a single 3 inch out y pipe, that is hurting flow abit and could cause abit of popping.

A proper tune could have some effect on deceleration popping as well
Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
longtubes will help the sound abit. also a bullet style race muffler will help out the pop. may give abit more rasp, but not too much more.

also, if you dont have a 3.5" intermediate pipe, and it realy is a dual 3inch header collectors into a single 3 inch out y pipe, that is hurting flow abit and could cause abit of popping.

A proper tune could have some effect on deceleration popping as well
Next time I get under the car I will be double checking the pipe size, it might only be a 3 inch. I just know it looks BIG.

Would a muffler like this one: dynomax give me less audible popping? Can I just cut a section out of the exhaust and slide this in its place? How does the distance from the exhaust tip affect sound?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

that will quiet the car down abit. should reduce popping i'd say, abit more than open pipe i'm willling to bet. You can slip that in the intermediate pipe area behind the cat, thats where i run my current tube muffler.

my car pops/crackles alittle on decel after a high rpm WOT pass and letting off quickly. i noticed it on the dyno and i'm running a chambered tube. My straight open pipe with cat converter still on gave abit more popping/crackling when getting off the gas

exhaust sound will change alittle depending on tip size you use and distance. generally from what i hear, closer your tip is to the exit of the muffler, the deeper more bassy the tone gets. Further away gives more tone without the bass. I guess it also depends on the muffler tho. You can use larger/smaller diameter tips to fine tune the sound as well. some tips will help smooth out the sound some will add more rasp to the sound.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
that will quiet the car down abit. should reduce popping i'd say, abit more than open pipe i'm willling to bet. You can slip that in the intermediate pipe area behind the cat, thats where i run my current tube muffler.

my car pops/crackles alittle on decel after a high rpm WOT pass and letting off quickly. i noticed it on the dyno and i'm running a chambered tube. My straight open pipe with cat converter still on gave abit more popping/crackling when getting off the gas

exhaust sound will change alittle depending on tip size you use and distance. generally from what i hear, closer your tip is to the exit of the muffler, the deeper more bassy the tone gets. Further away gives more tone without the bass. I guess it also depends on the muffler tho. You can use larger/smaller diameter tips to fine tune the sound as well. some tips will help smooth out the sound some will add more rasp to the sound.
I dont mind a quiet cackle, as long as it isn't loud and making it sound like my car is running poorly. I would also like the option of removing it and trying a different one later, so what is a standard length?

When you say that having it at the tip increases the bass of the exhaust, do you mean inside the vehicle to? I wont lie, this car has to be impressive to an average 18 year old girl as well as to all my gear head buddys. I dont want the subs and the exhaust to fight....
Old 02-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3.5" I-pipe helps over a 3"?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

a single 3.5 inch system can help if you have the right mods...he is cammed so it could benefit from a larger rear pipe section.... with 3inch header collectors running into a single 3inch catback, thats alot of restriction. TWO 3inch pipes will flow 1624 cfm at @28"h2o, while a single 3 will flow half that at 812cfm. merging two 3inch pipes from headers into 1 single is creating some exhaust flow problems. A single 3.5" will flow 1105cfm, a single 4 is closer to 1440cfm. So you can see how that will help move exhaust gases around.

standard length for a muffler in the I-pipe region in a stock catback application, i found you can fit about 25inchs of pipe in there... so your muffler has to be overall length of 25inches. My powerstick chambered tube is 20inch long body with 25 inch overall length and it fits great in that section.

As long as you exit the exhaust beyond the rear bumper you shouldnt have much interior resonance or more bass inside. May have alittle drone at low rpms with some muffler styles, it will depend on the exhaust system you build. if you dumped the exhaust before the rear axle, you'll have alot more interior noise obviously, and alot more drone at low rpms.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Car: 84 camaro, 92 yota 4runner
Engine: 305 lg4 out of 81 z28
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: Not sure believe its 3.23

i know on my older sunfire, (don't laugh) i had a thrush exhaust that was 3" in and out, the mufler had no tip, the exit was its tip lol, and never have i seen a car backfire, spit pow pack pick bang so much lol, so i am gonna say chances are, the closer the mufler is to the end of the exhaust, the more pops your gonna get, on of my friends truck (ram 318), he put a flowmaster super 40 series mufler and didn't run no tailpipe for a while, it poped a lot, when he did put it it completely stopped.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 AM

Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 355
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Big cam, straight pipes. Exhaust popping on deceleration?

Do you have any exhaust leaks, a burnt collector gasket, pin hole in pipe? you have hot exhaust,raw fuel all you need is some oxygen and BANG POP Crack. If you have a small leak on decelaration you could be sucking in air and causing combustion in your exhaust.