Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Muffler: Spintech or classic chambered Powerstick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:55 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Muffler: Spintech or classic chambered Powerstick?

I'm building my own exhaust with the 3" dynomax intermediate pipe, and I'm trying to decide what muffler to use. I'm basically down to either a spintech or a classic chambered. I don't suppose there's anybody here that's heard both on the same car that can give opinions on the type of tone each produces?

Here are two sound clips that are both supposed to be on stock L98s.

Spintech: http://nvlsonline.org/3rdgen/3inspintech.mp3

Powerstick: Putfile - Powerstick Chambered tube on L98

That powerstick is Orr's car, and he's got the muffler in the intermediate pipe. Mine would be positioned in the normal muffler location, so that will likely effect the tone to an extent.

My motor is a TPI 350 with 10:1 compression and a 214/224 112lsa cam. In other words, my car should have a bit more agressive sound than either of the two in the sound clips.

The tone I like best is that tinny (but deep) sound that virtually every 69 camaro at any car show tends to have. I want the car loud, but I don't want it to sound like an LG4 with a glass pack.

Suggestions?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
I'm building my own exhaust with the 3" dynomax intermediate pipe, and I'm trying to decide what muffler to use. I'm basically down to either a spintech or a classic chambered. I don't suppose there's anybody here that's heard both on the same car that can give opinions on the type of tone each produces?

Here are two sound clips that are both supposed to be on stock L98s.

Spintech: http://nvlsonline.org/3rdgen/3inspintech.mp3

Powerstick: Putfile - Powerstick Chambered tube on L98

That powerstick is Orr's car, and he's got the muffler in the intermediate pipe. Mine would be positioned in the normal muffler location, so that will likely effect the tone to an extent.

My motor is a TPI 350 with 10:1 compression and a 214/224 112lsa cam. In other words, my car should have a bit more agressive sound than either of the two in the sound clips.

The tone I like best is that tinny (but deep) sound that virtually every 69 camaro at any car show tends to have. I want the car loud, but I don't want it to sound like an LG4 with a glass pack.

Suggestions?
i like the spintechs... they sound more throaty and bad *** to me.... i personally love the old muscle car sound ie all the cars the haitian dudes haev on bad boys 2... lol

but i love the way LS1s sound when you cam em and all that good ness..... ooooghghgh

hmm i need diff mufflers than my flows...
Old 07-26-2006, 02:31 PM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Just pulled the trigger and went with the Spintech. The sad thing is, I'm in this for around $400 on an exhaust I have to put together myself. For a few bucks more I could have just gone with the 3.5" mufflex, but at least I won't have to worry about ground-clearance issues so much with this one, and I'm making the muffler modular so I can swap it for other mufflers if I choose.

I better brush up on my welding.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Just pulled the trigger and went with the Spintech. The sad thing is, I'm in this for around $400 on an exhaust I have to put together myself. For a few bucks more I could have just gone with the 3.5" mufflex, but at least I won't have to worry about ground-clearance issues so much with this one, and I'm making the muffler modular so I can swap it for other mufflers if I choose.

I better brush up on my welding.
sounds sweet.... i cant wait to redo my bashed up headers and exhaust... im thinking of either going with a simple x-pipe to side exit or x pipe to full out rear... im not sure yet... but i know i dont want to screw with my GFX i love them too much lol