Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Car sounds funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006 | 02:02 AM

Car sounds funny

I just finished installing a set of 1 3/4 Stainless, no AIR, SLP shorty headers and a Hooker catback. The cat is !, but is stil there, AIR tube removed. So, I fire it up, and take it for a drive. It has great power, but is feels weird. Let me see if I can explain how it sounds/feels weird.

At almost any foreward throttle under load (not neutral), I don't notice it in reverse, it feels like something is dragging. The car doesn't pull, so I don't think it is the brakes. The throttle pedal has some little vibes in it, also. Its kinda a hollow low sound. Can anyone give me any ideas? I can't replicate the noise without the car moving so it is kinda hard to pin point it.

The other thing I did was dump the A/C, however I am still running the compressor with no lines attached. I did this on my 91 for several thousand miles and didn't notice any bad things happen.

Thanks,
Douglas
Old 07-15-2006 | 07:59 AM

Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 400 SBC
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Are you saying you hollowed out the cat? IHow did you do it? I have heard several times where that can cause exactly what you are descibing. The engine loses power and makes all kinds of funny sounds. Check to see if those noises are coming from the cat. Hollowing out the cat alters the dimensions of the exhaust system and can ruin the tune. Pressure waves bounce around in the cat and prevent proper scavenging.
Old 07-15-2006 | 11:00 AM

Yes, the cat is hollow. However, it already was hollow when I pulled it off... unknown to me until I pulled it off. All I did was remove the air tube that was in there and weld that hole shut. There is no loss of power by any means, it just sounds funny. It may be that the headers and 3" catback are just amplifing the noise.