Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Which headers should I go with; Hooker, Edelbrock, or Hedmen??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro z28
Engine: 6.3L, heads, headers, cam,.....
Transmission: 700-R4 w/shift kit and 3-4 WOT kit
Axle/Gears: 4.11
Which headers should I go with; Hooker, Edelbrock, or Hedmen??

Hey guys how are you all doing? Well I need some help picking some shorty headers for my car. Look at my signature for the modes that I have already done to my car. What I plane to do once I get back home (currently I’m overseas with the military) is to add, twin 58mm throttle body, 32 # injectors, 2400 stall converter, ignition, fuel regulator, headers, and have the computer reprogrammed. Right now the headers that I am looking at are the Hooker 2055HKR, Edelbrock 68723, and Hedman 68481 and 68471. I would love to get the SLP headers but they are out of my price range. Another thing is that I will not be using a Y pipe I have a custom exhaust, the space between the oil pan and cross member is too small due to my Milodon oil pan. If you guys could please give me feed back about anything that you know about these headers. Right now I am leaning towards the Hooker headers. I just want to make sure that I make the right choice when I buy them. Thanks for helping me out!!
Old 07-15-2006, 06:21 PM

Car: '92 Toyota Pickup
Engine: 22R-E
Transmission: 5sp Manual
Axle/Gears: 4:??
Check out Hedman's website and give them some calls. They have alot of Headers and might suggest you use something unseen in catalogs/internet shops.

Just my .02

edit: just saw that you have a pretty nice engine setup. I'd save and get the 1 3/4" slp's as they would produce much better numbers as a package with what you've got.
----------
also what intake do you have? I would look at something besides TPI, and if you don't have your TPI system beefed up then I would suggest you spend money on something other than a TB as that's the smallest restriction in the stock intake(by far).

You have a nice engine, but I think you'll shoot yourself in the foot with a crap intake and exhaust.

oh and it's .060 over.

Last edited by superGMman; 07-15-2006 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-15-2006, 09:39 PM

Car: 91 camaro z28
Engine: 6.3L, heads, headers, cam,.....
Transmission: 700-R4 w/shift kit and 3-4 WOT kit
Axle/Gears: 4.11
Hey thanks for your input. Just to respond what you had to say. As of right now I still do have the TPI set up. The TPI has been ported to its max (this includes the plenum, the runners and the manifold). I do want to get the Mini Ram but it is a little pricy, on top of that my rear end is still stock and I know it is going to give out some time in the future. I really rather change out my rear end before I get a Mini Ram.

Another subject I want to talk about is the throttle body. You’re saying that if I upgrade the TB I will see little change in performance (Basically a worthless upgrade at this point in time)? If this is the case I could sacrifice the TB and use that $300 to get the SLP headers.

About the SLP I know that these headers have a primary tubes of 1 ¾” but the collector is only 2.5”. I have talked to some guys that have been building cars for a great deal of there lives. They say they rather have the 1 5/8” primary tubes and 3” collectors; (for my application) the reason that they say this is because I have built this car to only rev up to about 6K. On top of that this is more of a street car not a track car so I will be at the peak rpm only a small percentage of the time.

This is all that I have, if you guys could take a look at this and let me know what you guys think of this. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:36 AM

Car: '92 Toyota Pickup
Engine: 22R-E
Transmission: 5sp Manual
Axle/Gears: 4:??
Yes spend the money from the TB and put it into important stuff like a new intake, rear, better headers, etc.

I personally disagree as people have seen gains in every Rpm in very mild 350's. I think that a shorties are a different issue than long tubes as the size of the primaries is the main reason for power. On your setup I'd highly reccomend 1 3/4" primaries, even for the street.

There'll be some more people to chime in that can convince you one reason or another.