Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

92Z exhaust....finally decided, give opinions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92Z exhaust....finally decided, give opinions/advice

I posted the other day about my friend's 92 L98 Camaro. We've about decided on a setup. Just for background, the car is a toy. It's garaged the majority of the time and is mainly stock with a K&N drop in and flowmaster 80 series. He needs to replace one or both of the cats since one's clogged.

He found on ebay an auction that had headers and dual exhaust together. The headers are Summit (sum-G9005) and the exhaust is the Dynomax kit (89009). The headers have no AIR fittings, but we can weld a fitting in to still use the AIR pump. We don't have emissions testing here, but we do have to pass a visual. I've heard mixed reviews of the dual kit, but we'll put it together and take it to the muffler shop to get it welded and ran out the back. He wants to hang a pair of mufflers out the back (think Corvette) and use his 4th gen Z28 tips. The kit is gonna be a starting point, not used exactly as designed. I've also thought of an idea for the cat. I'm trying to find a 2.25" dual in/dual out universal cat with AIR fitting. I can find 2" all day, but nothing bigger. I'm hoping this will add a cat to the system as well as solve the x-pipe problem.

Headers, run into the dual kit, with a dual in/dual out cat, run back over the axle in the stock location with two 40 series delta flows hanging out back corvette style. I plan to ditch the gaskets and header bolts that come with the kit and use dead-soft aluminum gaskets and either Stage 8 locking, ARP stainless, or Breslin header bolts. I'm also thinking of painting everything with high temp VHT paint. I've got it on mine and even after a year shows no sign of rust anywhere. I know this could be done in higher quality, but he's dead-set on duals since he has to replace the cats and doesn't want to sink alot of money into it. Maybe later on down the road he'll put the expensive stuff on it, but right now I think this will work good. In 10 years when all this rusts through he'll have the money to do it right. Will it work? Will it be too loud? Will it be just right?? Am I crazy?

Let me know what you think, thanks!