Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Seriously considering GMMG exhaust.... Have some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously considering GMMG exhaust.... Have some Questions

I've done a search and from the looks of it, there doesn'ty seem to be very many people on here with this exhaust. Some have made their own versions, but I'd rather go with the real thing since it's made of stainless steal and I drive my car over the winter and don't want to worry about my exhaust rusting out.

Basically, it was either the GMMG or Borla, and since I already have a Borla on my LT1 Formula, I thought I'd try something different. The only places I know of that carry this exhaust is GMMG themselves, and Hawks third Gen.

The strange part is, GMMG is only asking $700 which includes shipping where as Hawks, is selling the system for $800. A hundred dollars more and doesn't include shipping. WTF

I just e-mailed them asking why such a huge price difference and await their response.

Basically, I wanted to know whether or not anyone has this exhasut on their 3rd gen. Do you have a sound clip, or know where I can find one? (and it's got to be from a TPI car by the way, as the only clips on LS1 sounds are of LS1's and LT1's which sound nothing like L98's)

Finally, do any of you know any other places that carry the GMMG and what they go for. Money's not that big of a deal, but if I could save some money, I wouln't complain.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:37 PM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Quick6 has it, he has a thread with some clips too
Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi
There are clips on here if you look for them.

It sounds good, but imo it's overpriced.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:22 PM

Yeah, I've seen the clip, but it's not long enough to give me an accurate idea of what it really sounds like. And the opening 3-4 seconds, the sound keeps skipping.

Anyways, I got an email response from Hawks today. I had asked him why they're selling the system for $100 more than GMMG themselves ($700 vs $800) and he said it was because Hawks version includes "brackets" for the 3rd gen?

I have no idea what that means.

Is he talking about the brackets that hang the exhaust in place? That can't be it. That would mean if you ordered it from GMMG, it would just be the pipe-work with no way of securing it to the car. That's not right.

I'm still confused.

Does GMMG not sell a 3rd gen specific chambered exhaust or do they expect you to modify the hell out of it to fit a 3rd gen? For that kind of money, I'd expect this thing to bolt right in (relitivly) easily.

Anyways, yeah, the GMMG is expensive, but as I said, I really like the fact that it's stainless steel and pretty rare among 3rd gen cars. I don't want to continue using the "aluminized steel" B.S. most exhausts are made of these days. I don't like how they rust out after a year or two.

Besides Quick6, is there anybody else that has this exhaust on a 3rd gen? If you could post a sound clip, or let me know where you ordered it from and what kind of "brackets" (if any) it came with, that'd be great.

If I can't get any of this cleared up, I may just have to buy another Borla.

Last edited by LT1FUN; 05-22-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI
Transmission: 700r4
imo i wanted teh gmmg sound but they are nuts for that price, be it on a 3rd gen or anycar, i'd never pay 700+ for a catback, no matter how good it sounds

Look, into the classic chambered powersticks, basically the same sound and 52 bucks a pop, i bet mine would out scream a gmmg equipped car anyday of teh week
Old 05-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 376 Likes on 304 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
agreed, you can fab up the GMMG system with powersticks or sweet thunder chambered tubes

willie has a true dual system using stainless works chambered tubes and the car sounds BAD ***. sorta like GMMG.

its FAR cheaper to do make it yourself than buy GMMG

they dont make an exact thirdgen kit, but basically all you need to do is change the mounting points on the GMMG system to hang it on a thirdgenl, from what i understand about 4th gen catbacks
Old 05-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi
Originally Posted by LT1FUN

Is he talking about the brackets that hang the exhaust in place? That can't be it. That would mean if you ordered it from GMMG, it would just be the pipe-work with no way of securing it to the car. That's not right.

I'm still confused.

Does GMMG not sell a 3rd gen specific chambered exhaust or do they expect you to modify the hell out of it to fit a 3rd gen? For that kind of money, I'd expect this thing to bolt right in (relitivly) easily.
iirc they do not sell a 3rd gen specific catback. The 4th gen 93-95 catback will work with some modification to the brackets. That's what he's referring too - meaning he includes the proper brackets for installation.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: L98 5.7 V8 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Originally Posted by LT1FUN
Yeah, I've seen the clip, but it's not long enough to give me an accurate idea of what it really sounds like. And the opening 3-4 seconds, the sound keeps skipping.

Anyways, I got an email response from Hawks today. I had asked him why they're selling the system for $100 more than GMMG themselves ($700 vs $800) and he said it was because Hawks version includes "brackets" for the 3rd gen?

I have no idea what that means.

I'm still confused.

Anyways, yeah, the GMMG is expensive, but as I said, I really like the fact that it's stainless steel and pretty rare among 3rd gen cars. I don't want to continue using the "aluminized steel" B.S. most exhausts are made of these days. I don't like how they rust out after a year or two.

Besides Quick6, is there anybody else that has this exhaust on a 3rd gen? If you could post a sound clip, or let me know where you ordered it from and what kind of "brackets" (if any) it came with, that'd be great.

If I can't get any of this cleared up, I may just have to buy another Borla.

I know the clip is ****, I will definately try to get new ones sometime very soon. As far as I know, I am the only one on here with the GMMG on a stock TPI motor. I made several posts in attempts to find clips before I purchased the exhaust but no luck. I just got mine directly from GMMG.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
GMMG uses Stainless works chambered mufflers, you can get them from summit for around 200 bucks for two of them. Flowtech has a splitter that can be used at the axle. Where the cost of the GMMG comes in is, it is pure stainless from the cat all the way back, and the tailpipes are stainless as well. That's a ton of stainless and the cost of welding it as well. If you can find some clips of the GMMG on an LT1 it would almost sound the same as a TPI motor.