Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Edelbrock 5672 changes - WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: ZZ4 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73
Edelbrock 5672 changes - WTF!!!

I've been wanting an Edelbrock 5672 exaust forever, mostly for the stealth OEM tailpipes and relatively quiet sound, and finally bought one last week. Came to my house Monday and instead of the OEM-style tailpipes (with turn-downs) it had a 24" straight polished tailpipe (and two 90-degree elbows).
I called Edelbrock's customer service line and, using the parts list and paperwork included with the exaust, gave him the part numbers for the correct tailpipes for the kit. He agreed to send the pipes out asap. I got the box today with, another 24" straight tailpipe! I called Edelbrock again to ask why I got this pipe, and got more then I ever expected - I got some attitude!!! This is where it gets good.....
I spoke to an "Ernest", who was very anxious to go home for the day (he told me this), and asked him about why the kit had the straight tailpipes. According to Ernest, "the 24"x3" polished 304 stainless steel tailpipes were a running change starting 6/95 along with the "Sound Deflection Technology" muffler (flowmaster knock-off, IMHO)." I asked him why the change, he replies, "Well, the market here in southern California is hot for the polished tailpipes and that's our market, we cannot please everybody. We see it as a positive addition to the product." When I mentioned that I purchased this system primarily for the OEM appearance he replied, "Again, we cannot please everybody and I have another customer in Canada who has the same issue so I called our warehouse and found a few of the OEM-style tailpipes remaining for him. If you ship the pipes back, at your expense, we will replace them with the other pipes." So, they had the pipes I wanted and could have shipped them to me since my kit came with only one tailpipe anyway, but didn't, and now after waiting a week for them I have to make a choice to either be like every ******* with a 3rd gen f-body and have 3" tailpipes sticking straight out from under my bumper or pay additional money to get the parts I expected in the first place??? I also mentioned to him that the Advance Auto Parts master warehouse had 6-7 kits with only 1 pipe and he said, "Oh, we know", with little concern!
Here is my translation of Ernest's end of the discussion, and Edelbrock's new way of doing business.....
"Screw you, hayseed. I have a high-colonic scheduled in an hour and we are southern Californians who have far better asthetic tastes than you. If your backward-*** cannot appreciate our attempt to "pimp your ride" then that's your problem. Maybe if you bought a Hummer, Harley, or Honda Civic you may stand a chance of getting noticed by us. Until then, take your "not-existing-on-our-radar-screen" Camaro and your measley $300 and go stratch.
Well, here's my reply....
Mr. Edelbrock,
Although your products have been a staple on my cars for 20 years I'm afraid that I wll now have to sever the ties that were once so strong between your company and me.
After meeting you at a vendors expo in 2003 (I sold more of your stuff than anyone else in my company at the time, for which you thanked me) I thought more of your company than ever before. What a difference a couple of years will make. You took your under-performing stock off the Nasdaq, poor quality control concerns have been growing of late, and now the poor customer service after the sale stories abounding on the internet have stung me as well.
While I will keep the dozen or so Edelbrock products that are already on my car (and haven't broken) I will be returning the exaust system to the store in exchange for a Hooker system. Instead of E-Tecs and a Pro-Flo my Camaro will have to do with AFR's and a Stealth-Ram on the ZZ4. Instead of the ceramic coated-TES headers I'll have to give SLP's the nod, and Spohn will fill most any need I have for suspension parts as well.
Vic, thanks for the memories... Good bye.

All this over a stupid pair of pipes............

Last edited by MurcoRS; 10-07-2005 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 iroc Z Hardtop
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
unfortunately all i have to reply to this is...

bummer... i think much less of edelbrock now
Old 10-14-2005, 12:39 AM
GTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 GTA
Engine: running
Transmission: working
Axle/Gears: both
Re tail pipes....

Murco....

Drop me a PM ...I am that "customer in canada" ...i'll tell ya what i had to do to resolve this... GTA....

ps i Had the EXACT same thing happen to me and believe me its , good thing i have a great dealer who is trying to fix it..
Old 10-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4
Sounds pretty typical in American business today. Been in a Chevrolet service department lately? It's a plague all over these days. Always heard good things about Edelbrock though, but change is a constant.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: ZZ4 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73
Re: Re tail pipes....

Originally posted by GTA
Murco....

Drop me a PM ...I am that "customer in canada" ...i'll tell ya what i had to do to resolve this... GTA....

ps i Had the EXACT same thing happen to me and believe me its , good thing i have a great dealer who is trying to fix it..
PM sent! Can't wait to hear more...
Old 10-15-2005, 08:51 AM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi
damn i'm hearing all bad things about edelbrock lately, i have that cat-back but bought it about 5 years ago and i love it