Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Modified exhaust law

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 200C
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Modified exhaust law

I've been reading a bit more about it lately, in some Popular Hot Rodding issue it talked about California AB 2683 has been signed. It mentioned even headers were illegal. I don't know too much about that law, but I found the laws for Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Minnesota

I e-mailed SEMA asking if they were involved with it; I'm pretty sure they are.

At the moment, every single time I put my car on the street, I'm breaking 3 different laws. No front plate, modified exhaust, and holes in the floor pan. I don't like to say I'm breaking multiple laws, even if they aren't very usefull.

Here's some more reading on it. .Other info

Wisconsin has a similar law, with different wording
Attached Thumbnails Modified exhaust law-law.jpg  

Last edited by TransAm12sec; 06-14-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: TH-700-R4
wow....their getting really freakin strict with that ****!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
No cutouts? Argh. They just dont know how to have fun. They must drive Hondas.

edit: come to think of it, displacement laws might be the next thing on the list.. Then we will REALLY appreciate the 454 smallblock that we can say is a 305.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:40 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
**** it... move to Canada.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks
Originally posted by Air_Adam
**** it... move to Canada.
Or Georgia. We had fun with cars going up in the South.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:31 AM
Banned

HAHA!!! OWNED!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:23 PM

laws

Sorry to hear that for the folk that live in those areas. My advise would be to move Thats one reason why we moved out here in the country, no smog rules to abide by, we call it the land of mechanical freedom I am a believer in doing what I want to my cars, I don't want some panzy liberal telling me what I should do to something that I paid for Sorry I am done venting now.
California has to be the worsed when it comes to that stuff, I have family that live out there and some of the stuff they have to go through is unbelievable. And we (my family) want to move back out west some time in the future, Yikes. We have been looking into Arizona somewhere since that would be closer to family than Ohio is, but we are having a hard time finding a county out there that does not have emissions checks, I told the wife I will not move to a county that has e-checks, don't want to have to deal with that junk. How about guys, any fellow members on the board living in Arizona that are familiar with counties that may be exempt from e-checking? I don't care how far out it is from the city, driving distance does not bother me. As of right now it is an hour ride to Cincinnati anyway but we are used to it, small price to pay in order to have a little freedom with my cars. Larry.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:41 AM

Car: Badass 1991 Firebird
Engine: Screamin' 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.42's waiting to go in!
Just got smogged the other day, with a Cherrybomb on my car (my Flowmaster system was gettin' kinda rusty, temporary till I get my 3" American Thunder or Dynomax) and the smog guy didn't say diddly about the exhaust, didn't even look under the car, and it was a Test Only station, in San Diego CA. So I could have had cutouts, dual cats, or single to dual pipes, and he never would have known.

He did take a good gander at my motor though, but he admitted that if I changed the heads, he'd never know. Same goes for the block, I'd imagine. He said be careful with cams though, too big and I might not pass.

I of course replaced the open element with the stock aircleaner, and made sure my manual fanswitch was off, so my motor would get boiling hot and burn off all those nasy hydrocarbons. Passed with flying colors at 170,000 miles.

Also, I asked the tech about mods, and he said, "as long as there is an EO number on the part, it's fine." I'm assuming that includes gov't approved headers, of which there are a few available, along with all the other approved parts, like the Edelbrock heads, manifolds, etc.

I agree these laws are narrow and somewhat blind, however, if you've ever seen the layer of smog we get down here on a hot day, and felt your eyes stinging from the exhaust of all the neglected and poorly tuned vehicles, you'd know why there has to be some kind of regulation. Out in the sticks, who cares, a couple of tractors and Uncle Bob's Camaro probably make less smoke than Grampa's pipe, as it should be. Hey Grampa, pass that thing, would ya?

Anyone with any more info, please comment. Also, you have two years between smog checks, which does leave some wiggle room. Eg. changing chips, intake etc. I knew a guy with a 91 Camaro that was still passing smog at 600hp! After 650hp though, he bowed out and now just uses his car for racing. "Too hard to pass now," he said, standing next to his backhalved, tubbed out, caged and fourlinked dragster. Ya think?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:55 AM

Car: 77 Firebird
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 4.10
In Wisconsin if your car is 20 years or older you can get a hobbiest plate that lets you "modify" your exhaust.Its used for kit cars and hotrods.The only catches are you must own at least one other normally liscenced vehicle and you can't drive the Hobbiest vehicle in February.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:40 AM

smog

Yep it's the same here in Ohio, you can by collector plates which will exempt you from test but you have to have another driver with regular plates although they don't check that, my father had them on his daily driver when he lived in a smog checking county for years. I also have a few friends that have to be checked. Just recently he went through with his car, he has removed the cat converter, one station checked under the car and saw it was missing and wouldn't put him on the sniffer. He pulled out and went to another station a few miles down the road, they looked for a minute and couldn't find the converter, the guy just said well I guess it has one on there somewhere and rolled him on through put him on the sniffer and he passed with flying colors, no cats.... I think if you are a good tuner you can make the car pass without all the smog junk, we have run several through without the stuff and pass fine as long as the fellow doesn't mind the smog stuff missing. This smog stuff has been a thorn in my side for many years even though I don't have to do it. Its known by many people that the earth will destroy the ozone layer by itself without our help. Volcano erruptions, the sun evaporating the salt water etc......all eat the ozone layer at an alarming rate,,,they just don't tell you that stuff. The earth has been eating its own ozone for millions of years, it will still be here long after we are dead and gone. If anyone ever gets time to spend in the library there is some interesting reading on it written by some of the top paying scientists in the world. I have come to the conclusion that it is just a money making scheme for our government....Case in point,,a few years ago when Ohio didn't have any smog checks, there was talk of bringing in reformulated gas (which costs more) well our governor Taft didn't want to charge the people of Ohio more money for gas so he shunned that away and brought in the smog check instead Only catch is the smog check is in a few select counties, most of us don't have to do it...now for the money making part. Ohio is now getting rid of the E-check again as they say we don't need it,,,,the air is clean enough but now they are going to bring in more expensive reformulated gas instead which will affect the entire state rather than a few counties, Now they can collect money from everyone in the entire state so we can all get the shaft I think someone sat down and did the math and saw all the gas that is sold and figured they could make more money on that than they could on the e-check,,,,even though they say our air is clean enough now why do we need either if the air is clean enough...go figure. Just looks like a money making scheme to me which is why I am against it and don't want to move to a place that has any checking. I prefer the land of mechanical freedom. I feel sorry for all the citizens that have to go through all that crap, especially the car folk out there. We all should get eduated on this stuff and stick together and keep this hobby alive, otherwise if the government could have there way there would be any old cars on the road anymore. Oh well,,,just my view, I don't expect everyone to agree, just been around this stuff for 30 plus years and I have seen all the changes and just don't like it, us old farts don't like change Sorry for the long post, I am done venting now, later guys and gals,,,Larry.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1993 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3 Turbo
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
whats so special about not driving in february?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:12 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Snow comes to mind.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:25 PM

Car: 77 Firebird
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Originally posted by KiLLJ0Y
whats so special about not driving in february?
I guess they figure if its a hobbiest or collector car and not a daily driver then it shouldn't be able to be driven year round and picked February,the worst month of the year(at least in Wisconsin) to be the month you can't drive .Also, the collector plate and hobbiest plate are pretty much the same except with collector plates your car is supposed to be stock original,while the hobbiest plate is for the souped up hot rods and kit cars.Oh yea the registration is a one time $155 fee.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:01 PM

fees

wow thats a steep one time fee. Here in Ohio we have historical tags for cars 25 years or older no matter what type of car, stock or modified,,, it is a one time tag and only cost $35 and you never have to renew or go through any e-checking. If the car is not 25 years old then you can get collector tags for stock or modified cars as long as it is a car worthy of collector status. The collector tags have to be renewed like regular tags,,,,once a year and the fee is about 5-10 bucks more than regular tags where as the historical tags is a one time deal and your done. Funny how every state is so different, not just in cars but so much more...Larry.