Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Muffler Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GMC Jimmy Fullsize
Engine: 5.7L TBI (LO5)
Transmission: 700R4
Muffler Recommendation

I did a search, but I want a bit more definitive answer...

Will be upgrading to: Long Tube Headers + L05 + true duals 2.5" + tail pipes straight out back

No crossover pipe or cats. (Maybe x-over, $$$ permitting)

I don't mind hearing a bit of exhaust roar at closer to half throttle +, but for my daily driver, I don't want to listen to it resonate inside the vehicle at 1900rpm. I currently have a single 3", no cat and econo muffler and it's too loud at highway cruising. You have to raise your voice quite a bit to carry out a conversation.

A few people have recommended Dynomax Super Turbo's. My friend has headers + dual 2.5" + Pro Flo Twisters and it sounds great, but he also has dual cats which probably dampens the growl quite a bit.

Flowmaster 40's are WAY too loud as are Dynomax ultraflo's

I don't want people to notice my exhaust sound too much unless I _want_ them to hear it.

An opinions?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Check out the edelbrock and hooer aerochamber mufflers. Cats will have a more drastic affect on noise than a muffler. I think you will be happy with either. The Hooker even made my LO3 sound good. No rasp or drone.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:45 PM

Dynomax, very good flow numbers and quiet for daily use, wide open is nice, deep rumble.

my dad runs a pair of 2.5" Dynomax Turbo's on his 96 Roadmaster LT1 and it's nice and deep.

Cheap too
Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: .040" over 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt with 3.45s
We just added some coated headers and Super Turbos to a 350 Chevelle. The engine is quiet at idle, but sounds great at WOT. The Hooker Aero Chambers are nice, but pricey.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:41 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 ci TPI, 10:1 cr, Isky cam, ported heads, dual exhaust
Transmission: 700R4, ratchetting shifter, 3.23 rear
I agree. I have true dual 2.5" mandrel, custom exhaust, but I stuck in an inexpensive Summit X-pipe crossover. It has dual Super Turbo mufflers exiting out the back. I love the sound. It doesn't drone, but has a fairly quiet rumble at cruising speed. Let it all hang out and it sounds out GREAT!

In comparison with the 40 series Flowmasters on my Firebird, which also sound great, these are not as oppressive or tiring while cruising.

I followed the path of the original single exhaust and stradled the dual cats right after the X-pipe. But the biggest hassle is getting past the panhard rod over the rear axle! I ended up with two pipes side by side where one pipe usually passes, but I have to solve some rubbing issues back there. Might try oval pipe right there instead! That might be my solution too.

If you put your mufflers in back, there's room but barely. I'd suggest getting the smaller Super Turbos that are meant for Mustangs, they'll fit the space better.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:06 AM

Car: 1989 GMC Jimmy Fullsize
Engine: 5.7L TBI (LO5)
Transmission: 700R4
Thanks for your opinions. I like the Hooker mufflers too, but they're hard to get around here and I'll get a better deal if I get the mufflers at the exhaust shop.

I think I will go with the super turbos. Room for mufflers isn't a problem but the [x|h] pipe will be.