Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Headman 68491 dual cat headers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro 5.7L Z28
Engine: L98, G92 option
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4
Headman 68491 dual cat headers...

Are the 68491's good headers? I saw a post which said that the holes for the bolts don't exactly line up and that it won't work well with L98 heads, since the heads are D-port and the headers are for O-port. Is this right? If these headers will work I'm thinking of using them and putting a 2.5in into 3in y-pipe in the place where the dual cats would go. Its also my understanding that these are emissions headers. If I order these coated from ACS would they be able to remove the air tubes and weld shut the holes? Thanks-
Old 08-02-2004, 11:22 AM

I ordered the Headman dual cat headers for my 90 camaro and I didn't like them one bit. They arrived all banged up from the factory and I had to grind on the front passenger side tube in order to get the bolt to go in straight. Plus the driver's side header exits REAL close to the front crossmember potentially creating problems down the road (motor mounts 50% worn).
The y-pipe didn't impress me one bit either. It was of low quality and isn't nearly long enough to hook up where's it's suppose to on the stock y-pipe.
Do yourself a favor and spend your money on a nice pair of Hooker headers. I've read nothing but praise for those headers.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:44 AM

Car: 84 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 4bbl HO
Transmission: 700-R4, 3.73 rear
man that's weird, i have headman hedders and didn't have a single problem putting them in. Quasimo1, i haven't heard anyone complain about headman...hmmm. when i was looking at my headers it was between hooker and headman and from what i read and searched, it seemed like the only thing better about hooker was the Y-pipe (but since i'm getting a custom one made it doesn't matter) and i got my headmans for $499 shipped to my door, and i think hookers r $600 (both prices being ACS coated and shipped) not sure about the hooker price tho.

call ACS i think they will cut off the air tubes. remember to tell them u're a TGO member.