Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

New Massachusetts exhaust law pending!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 10:13 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23
Originally posted by josh1988
Also, I was aware of the aftermarket exhaust already being illegal in MA, I had a very nice state trooper explain it to me one night at about 3 in the morning after he had pulled me over (it was understandable, it was that time of night and I had 3 other kids in my camaro) I wasn't speeding or anything, he was more or less checking on how sober i was i guess, but he made a comment on my flowmaster american thunder exhaust being illegal, so i asked him to explain. Anyways, my question is, doesn't flowmaster market their stuff as being 50 state legal? I know my edelbrock headers say 50 state legal right on them and they came with a c.a.r.b. certificate that i carry around in my car. I beleive that is the case, and if im correct, how do they get away with that?
Generally speaking, 50-state legal means EPA approved.

The EPA doesn't approve or dissaprove exhaust components after the catalytic converter. Flowmasters claims are bogus in that respect.

What flowmaster should do is get DOT approval, which might help folks out a little bit.

If Flowmaster got "OEM replacement certified" it would be very hard for a citation to stick in court.

But frankly, Flowmaster could care less about liberal Mass politics.

-- Joe
Old 10-26-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 4bbl HO
Transmission: 700-R4, 3.73 rear
Originally posted by anesthes
Anything MFG year 1983 or older is exempt from emissions testing, however, the inspection station is suposed to fail you if an emissions component is obviously deleted.

I've always praised the PA rule on this. It's a really nice benefit to folks who build a hot rod, but don't use it as aprimary vehicle.

I think a minimal use vehicle, such as a hotrod should be exempt from exhaust and emissions requirements.

-- Joe
MFG??, not sure what that means...my TA is an 84 if that matters...ya, it is nice with emissions since i think i've drivin my car maybe 2k miles in the last 12 months...also i get what u're saying about if something is obvious (like not seeing a cat while checking for exhaust leaks) then i understand. i don't have a cat right now (no $ after i did my headers) but i have only drivin it 500 miles max since the headers install...and when i get my duals, i still want cats...i just don't want to have to run the air to the cats and junk, bcuz i'm sure it would be a PITA
Old 10-27-2004, 12:10 AM

Car: 1993 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 LT1
Transmission: T-56

But frankly, Flowmaster could care less about liberal Mass politics.

-- Joe
frankly neither could I lol
Old 10-27-2004, 02:02 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Originally posted by chio987
MFG??
Manufactured year... MFG 1983 means an '83 model car.

I love Canada... everything short of open headers is fine here. Come to think of it, even guys with open headers don't get hassled by the boys in blue
Old 10-27-2004, 02:54 AM

Car: 84 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 4bbl HO
Transmission: 700-R4, 3.73 rear
thanks adam, that's what i thought it means. the G thru me off alittle....so my TA is an 84 but built in 83. so is that the MFG?
Old 10-27-2004, 11:12 AM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350 HO
Transmission: 700R4 + Shift Kit
Axle/Gears: Auburn Posi; Richmond 3:73 Gears
We have that law here in VA but its one those things where if the cop wants to be an *** he can be and pull you for being loud, but around here I drive with my cutout open most are pretty ok with it but I also don’t get on it when they are around cause it can get really loud!
Old 10-27-2004, 02:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Originally posted by chio987
thanks adam, that's what i thought it means. the G thru me off alittle....so my TA is an 84 but built in 83. so is that the MFG?
MFG for your car is '84... its an '84 model.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:23 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z (daily driver) 87 IROC-Z (under construction)
Engine: 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-56
If you get a failure sticker, just goto another station. Not everyone has a clue in life. If they were legal experts, they wouldn't be working at Midas.

-- Joe

I know i don't live anywhere near Mass. In OK they haven't been doing inspections for almost 3 years now. or something like that. the cops here pretty much do the same thing Joe was talking about....

if the car is slightly louder and driven normally, don't cite.

If your holding the pedal to 7k in first gear with a fart pipe, and can be heard from 3 blocks away - your getting pulled over.

-- Joe
Old 11-07-2004, 11:08 AM

Car: 91 B4C, 17 C7 GS, 16 Denali DMax
Engine: LS3, LS3, LML
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 3.42, 3.23
Regarding the MA inspection system... it is a bit of a joke. They designed the system to make it nearly impossible to pass if your car is not equipped with all the factory emissions equipment. If you go into a shop and throw the guy a few extra bucks... all they do is put a different car on the dyno. I've watched a good friend of mine do it time and time again. The downfall of the system is it cost about $25k to change over so many shops did not make the leap.

It'll be interesting to see how the system changes after the new year if it is in fact true. We shall soon see! Either way I am still keeping my car registered in NH where it doesnt matter!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:24 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by Fast_25th
[B]Regarding the MA inspection system... it is a bit of a joke. They designed the system to make it nearly impossible to pass if your car is not equipped with all the factory emissions equipment.
Well DUH! Thats the freaking point!

If you go into a shop and throw the guy a few extra bucks... all they do is put a different car on the dyno. I've watched a good friend of mine do it time and time again.
Which is a felony.

Either way I am still keeping my car registered in NH where it doesnt matter!
Which as of 4/2004 is a criminal violation.

90/312/A REGISTER MV IMPROPERLY - CRIMINAL
90/312/B REGISTER MV IMPROPERLY - $500

-- Joe
Old 11-07-2004, 01:32 PM

Car: 91 B4C, 17 C7 GS, 16 Denali DMax
Engine: LS3, LS3, LML
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 3.42, 3.23
Thanks for all the helpful information. Never suprises me how local cops try to flex their muscles whenever given the opportunity.

What's the matter couldnt get into a real branch of law enforcement? If interested let me know and I'll see if we have a slot available where it takes more than passing the civil service exam, high school diploma and running a mile to make a living. Or might you not be qualified for that?
Old 11-07-2004, 01:38 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by Fast_25th
Thanks for all the helpful information. Never suprises me how local cops try to flex their muscles whenever given the opportunity.

What's the matter couldnt get into a real branch of law enforcement? If interested let me know and I'll see if we have a slot available where it takes more than passing the civil service exam, high school diploma and running a mile to make a living. Or might you not be qualified for that?
You have a problem with folks enforcing the law?

The criminal mind at work!

-- Joe
Old 11-09-2004, 10:17 PM

Car: 82' Z28 IROC Clone (SOLD)
Engine: 355
Transmission: Built TH-350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
ALOT of states have laws like that, But most dont enforce it...Va has been that way for years, But as long as it has some sort of muffling thy usually wont bother you...Unless you just get bad luck 1 time!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:37 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by SLOWFIVEOH
ALOT of states have laws like that, But most dont enforce it...Va has been that way for years, But as long as it has some sort of muffling thy usually wont bother you...Unless you just get bad luck 1 time!
I allready explained that up above.. "Fast_25th" is just a newbie lamer, who is enraged because he thinks we're denying him the right to drive around with an obnoxious car.

There is a difference between performance, and just plain stupid..

-- Joe
Old 11-10-2004, 09:05 PM

HAHAHA i just turned 18 and i moved me my gurl and both of our camaros to Connecticut,....she has a 2.8 and i have a 5.0 and you can hear us coming from a mile away!! not to mention theres no emissions or annual inspection here.....just register and drive!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 05:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
I wanted to respond to a few of the rumors here.

First of all I'm a Police Officer in Mass. Some of you know me off line, others, well hello!

Rumor #1:

In regards to the pending bill, it would outlaw the sale and installation of aftermarket exhaust components. This is at the retail level. Basicly, it would mean your only limitted to purchase OEM replacement exhaust components.

The Bill IMO is crap, and won't pass.

Now the bad news is, aftermarket exhaust is and has been allready illegal in Mass.

The citation is a 90-16, and is $50. The text is as follows:

"No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust."

I've spoken with a lot of Officers on this. The general "opinion" is, if the car is slightly louder and driven normally, don't cite.

If your holding the pedal to 7k in first gear with a fart pipe, and can be heard from 3 blocks away - your getting pulled over.

Rumor #2:

Emissions. Tampering with emissions system is prosecuted by the EPA, not municipal Police. If you see a green truckwith blue/red lights following you around, get worried.

If you FAIL emissions in Mass, you have 60 days to fix it. If you don't, the state IS stating to suspend registrations now.

Rumer #3:

The IM242 emissions testing units have issues. It's a 50/50 that you'll pass. The state is working on replacing the defective units. If you failed an emissions test, goto another station and try again.

Rumer #4:

You can upgrade your motor, you just have to pass emissions. They do check if the engine is there. Federal law states you can upgrade a motor in a passenger vehicle, as long as the new motor was designed fro the same class vehicle, for the same year or future year of mfg. Basicly, this means any 88 or newer vehicle must have a fuel injected motor from a car, that passes emissions. Pre 88 vehicles can have a Carb that is emissions legal.

For example: you can transplate an LS1 into your '88 V6 Camaro. Infact, your emissions will prolly be better.

My Supercharged 355 scores so low on the emissions test it's not even funny. Just cuz somethings fast, doesn't mean it won't pass a sniffer. It's all about tuning.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask me.

-- Joe
about what you where talking about with motors have to be newer and can not be carb

so even if my car had a transplant from a older car that was carb but the emissions where spotless I would fail for no other reason then it is older and carbed

even if the emissions are on par or better then what I should be pulling?
Old 11-21-2004, 06:00 AM
Supreme Member

It's actually illegal federally to put a carb on any car mfg after 1987.

-- Joe
though I think some cars came with carbs on them even after 1987
suburu justy I think had carbs up into the 90's on some of them

don't that against me if I'm wrong but I know something had carb up to like 90 something
Old 11-21-2004, 03:27 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by rx7speed
about what you where talking about with motors have to be newer and can not be carb

so even if my car had a transplant from a older car that was carb but the emissions where spotless I would fail for no other reason then it is older and carbed

even if the emissions are on par or better then what I should be pulling?
Stupid law huh? See what happens when folks refuse to take part in elections.

I don't agree with vehicles poluting excessively any more than I agree with the current clean air act.

I'd also support both local and federal legislature that permits "performance vehicles" that see limited use being completly exempt, but it would never fly.

-- Joe
Old 11-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

I would think that would be cool if they let limited use hotrod cars on the street again as long as it was limited use

and if ppl do swap in another motor that lets say is older or maybe carbed but can still pass emissions for the current car it is in why shouldn't they allow it?

even more so if it worked better

or like for me
lets say I swap a ls1 into my car
it wouldn't be allowed but you know how much better that ls1 will do for emissions then my current car?

QUITE A BIT

but it wouldn't pass emissions cause that motor isn't made for my car

what a crock
Old 11-22-2004, 05:30 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by rx7speed
I would think that would be cool if they let limited use hotrod cars on the street again as long as it was limited use

and if ppl do swap in another motor that lets say is older or maybe carbed but can still pass emissions for the current car it is in why shouldn't they allow it?

even more so if it worked better

or like for me
lets say I swap a ls1 into my car
it wouldn't be allowed but you know how much better that ls1 will do for emissions then my current car?

QUITE A BIT

but it wouldn't pass emissions cause that motor isn't made for my car

what a crock
You can swap a newer motor, just not an older one. So you can swap an ls1 into your 87 body.

The law assumes older vehicles produce more emissions. Its an assumption.

My firebird's previous configuration with the blower and all, was roughly 500 hp. When we did a emissions check on the dyno it produced LESS emissions that most new hondas that came in there. Because it is tuned properly. The EPA is based on statistics, and the statistics show the average person can't tune jack.

-- Joe
Old 11-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

You can swap a newer motor, just not an older one. So you can swap an ls1 into your 87 body.

I drive a mazda rx7 though
ls1 wasn't designed for my car though ppl have made them fit

My firebird's previous configuration with the blower and all, was roughly 500 hp. When we did a emissions check on the dyno it produced LESS emissions that most new hondas that came in there. Because it is tuned properly. The EPA is based on statistics, and the statistics show the average person can't tune jack.

-- Joe
why can't they get there head out the *** and actually read the emission results rather then just go oh that is an older motor you can't use it.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:42 PM

Car: 1991 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Even if it passes, it is a BS law. The law here in Oklahoma says: It is illegal to alter a cars exhaust in ANY way from stock. Says nothing specifically about the noise level, but that any alteration what so ever is illegal. I am running hedman longtubes, 2 1/2" duals, x-pipe, no cats, and bullets dumped before the axle and have never had a cop say anything about it.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
BTW, kinda related... anyone know where the nearest emissions inspection place is in Mass in the Middlesex area? Every one I go to says they can't do the new test!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:18 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by White91GTA
Even if it passes, it is a BS law. The law here in Oklahoma says: It is illegal to alter a cars exhaust in ANY way from stock. Says nothing specifically about the noise level, but that any alteration what so ever is illegal. I am running hedman longtubes, 2 1/2" duals, x-pipe, no cats, and bullets dumped before the axle and have never had a cop say anything about it.
Thats what it says in mass too, but as I've pointed out earlier, its one of those things that if your being obnoxious, you get cited. Theres a difference between rumbling down the road, and holding the pedal at 7k in a honda.. Right?

-- Joe
Old 11-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 200C
Axle/Gears: 3:73
I just skimmed, but when is it to be decided, or when is the next meeting relating to this.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:23 PM

Car: 1991 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Thats what it says in mass too, but as I've pointed out earlier, its one of those things that if your being obnoxious, you get cited. Theres a difference between rumbling down the road, and holding the pedal at 7k in a honda.. Right?

-- Joe
That is exactly correct Joe...I dont know very many people with domestics and loud pipes here that have been cited, but have seen several of the obnoxious ricers pulled over
Old 11-23-2004, 09:26 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by White91GTA
That is exactly correct Joe...I dont know very many people with domestics and loud pipes here that have been cited, but have seen several of the obnoxious ricers pulled over
People have to realize that we all have to live together. When I drive my firebird (which is not very often since its mainly a track car) I drive around neighborhoods in 4th or 5th gear, to be as quiet as possible. I don't see a point in waking people up.

When I'm at the racetrack, thats fair game. I grab gears at 6500. But the second I leave those gates, its the speed limit, a high gear, normal driving the way home.

-- Joe
Old 11-24-2004, 12:03 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 89 Formula 350 WS6
Engine: 383 miniram
Originally posted by mdricken
It must have been that liberal *** John Kerry mother ****er who started the law!!!!!!!!

I swear - if I lived in Taxachussetes, I would head strait for the border on my 18th birthday. What a crock!
easy there, cowboy. not everybody that drives a thirdgen is a red neck. besides, this is a forum for discussing automotive issues. i'm sure you can find another site where you can argue your political misconceptions all you want.

Last edited by cormyr; 11-24-2004 at 12:13 AM.