Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Flowmaster Alternative(s).....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Flowmaster Alternative(s).....

I'm looking for a new catback for my car. Right now I have the Dynomax 3in with the Super Turbo muffler. I have the dual cat setup, but recently put straight pipes in place of the cat(s). I'm not downing Flowmaster, but there are so many trucks and camaros, firebirds around here that have them, its like a dime a dozen type muffler. I'm looking for an alternative that doesnt sound like a Flow. I like the Random Technology system, and the Magnaflow sounds good(on a LT1 anyway). I know whatever system I choose will sound much better with my 11:1 406 when its finished but Id like to find something better........or different than a Flowmaster. SUggestions? Im not worried so much about which one flows the best, etc....just the sound. There's not a 5hp difference between most mufflers anyway, unless you're talking Summit 19.95 specials..lol Thanks in advance guys.....

p.s. Anybody know where I can buy Spintech products? Id like to check them out as well.....
Old 03-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc Z L98
Re: Flowmaster Alternative(s).....

Originally posted by KYL98
I'm looking for a new catback for my car. Right now I have the Dynomax 3in with the Super Turbo muffler. I have the dual cat setup, but recently put straight pipes in place of the cat(s). I'm not downing Flowmaster, but there are so many trucks and camaros, firebirds around here that have them, its like a dime a dozen type muffler. I'm looking for an alternative that doesnt sound like a Flow. I like the Random Technology system, and the Magnaflow sounds good(on a LT1 anyway). I know whatever system I choose will sound much better with my 11:1 406 when its finished but Id like to find something better........or different than a Flowmaster. SUggestions? Im not worried so much about which one flows the best, etc....just the sound. There's not a 5hp difference between most mufflers anyway, unless you're talking Summit 19.95 specials..lol Thanks in advance guys.....

p.s. Anybody know where I can buy Spintech products? Id like to check them out as well.....
An 11:1 406 is going to gag with single 3" exhaust. Spintech mufflers can be found at www.spintechmufflers.com
Old 03-01-2004, 11:38 AM

Not true...well I should point out it will have Hooker LT's with a custom 3in Ypipe into a 3in exhaust....should be fine.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Not true...well I should point out it will have Hooker LT's with a custom 3in Ypipe into a 3in exhaust....should be fine.
There is a board member on here who gained a half second in the 1/8th going from single 3" mandrel bent to using a cutout. Present your proof showing that he would go slower with exhaust larger than single 3".
Old 03-01-2004, 01:54 PM

Well...what motor is he running? cam? induction? headers? Ypipe? Im not looking for every .1 of a sec I can get....as the car will not be a racer, but in fact a daily driver. When I go to the track....I plan on running open headers anyhow, so the I-pipe is meaningless then. I could go with 3.5in pipe....but we're only talking about a little bit more cfm....And. FWIW, a cutout will make ANY car faster....that does not prove that he would go slower or faster with larger exhaust. He gained .5 sec? Were his 60ft times comparable? Im not doubting what you say, but I think we're comparing apples to oranges here....
Old 03-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

Well...what motor is he running? cam? induction? headers? Ypipe? Im not looking for every .1 of a sec I can get....as the car will not be a racer, but in fact a daily driver. When I go to the track....I plan on running open headers anyhow, so the I-pipe is meaningless then. I could go with 3.5in pipe....but we're only talking about a little bit more cfm....And. FWIW, a cutout will make ANY car faster....that does not prove that he would go slower or faster with larger exhaust. He gained .5 sec? Were his 60ft times comparable? Im not doubting what you say, but I think we're comparing apples to oranges here....
All he said of his setup was that he is making somewhere around 425 horsepower. Unless your 406 will have stock heads and a little bitty camshaft, you will be making well over 425 horsepower.

The cutout proved that his exhaust is far too small, .5 second in the 1/8 mile is like 7 tenths in the 1/4 assuming it gained all the way across his power band. That is like a 75-100 shot of N20!!!

I agree that a cutout will provide a gain on most any car, but if you are losing 7 tenths in the 1/4 to your exhaust system then it is definately lacking. Just some info for you.

I like the sound of the hooker aerochamber mufflers personally, and you could always stick with 3" and run a cutout. But if you are anything like me, I would want to narrow the HP loss do to exhaust as much as possible.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:20 PM

I stand corrected. A fellow tech and I were doing some numbers on pipe size vs. cfm flow. A 3.5in pipe will flow "about" 36% more air than a single 3in pipe, given both are either straight or mandel bent. I honestly had no idea it was that much different.....hmm learn something new everyday. Is Mufflex the only place to get a 3.5in catback? My local muffler shop can only bend 3in...and I really dont want to fool around with dual exhaust....unless I route it in the stock location....even then, finding a place around here to do it is nearly impossible . Ive never heard the Hooker mufflers before, but if they are anything like their Headers, Im sure they are good quality. Ah, decisions decisions.......

FWIW, my 406 is projected to have anywhere between 430-485 hp depending on what cam I go with...and what I decide to do about the intake.......Thanks for the heads up about the pipe though...appreciate it.