Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Stuck nut/bolt solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck nut/bolt solution

Hey guys, new to this board, it's my first post, not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

About 7 years ago I stripped the H_ll out of a carb bolt (philips tiped screw)

We had absolutely no way to get this bolt out, and I had to have thje carbback on to go to work.

I Mc Guyvered a solution that has worked for m,anhy a stick bolt, and in fact sometimes wortks better than the standard bolt head.

I just picked up a file, and filed down the edges of the striped bolt nice and sqaure so it would fit a 1/4" wrench nice and tight, with a good grip from a craftsman wrench it came off nice and easy.

I have used this solution on many a bolt/nut since, and it has saved my knuckles more than once. Now I always keep a good file handy to get out those nasty bolts.

P.S. it also works on broken off bolts if enough is sticken out to be able to file it to a square point
Old 07-29-2003, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my tip for tight areas

I had some trouble with some nuts that were holding my old exhaust manifolds on, after fighting it for a long time we went out and got a pretty long chisel and used a big hammer, after a while of beating on it I took the vice grips to it and peeled off a few layers of the nut and then it came loose and the vice grips took it the rest of the way off, and all that was done on the rear passenger side bolt for the exhaust manifold, on the nut that holds my chrome dipstick tube up.

we should have a sticky post about what people do to fight bad nuts and bolts out, not a bad idea