Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

LT1 and Hooker

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LT1 and Hooker

How would the Hooker 2055's work on an LT-1. I'm looking into the LT-1 in my '90 RS but I'd like to get the headers now for my current motor. Will these fit the exhaust ports on the heads without any problems (no leaks)? Also wouldn't the LT-1 use 2 oxygen sensors? Where would I need to put the 2nd one? I'd like to Get these coated by JET HOT and dont wont to have to drill into them after there coated cause they'll go in the car now on the 305.

Later, Mike
Old 07-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes
Old 07-21-2003, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.1L Gen III
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
to the first: At least on paper, yes. LT1's have standard sbc exhaust ports. They should work, maybe check around with other lt1 swappers.

to the second question... I'm not sure but I think the second o2 is for emmissions and is placed after the cat. If your not running a cat its going to throw a code anyway. If you are running a cat i'd just drill a whole and weld in a bung.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

you can get rid of the second o2 sensor in the chip. Correct, it is just for emmisions. You could also just weld another o2 bung into the 2055s.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:04 AM

I want to keep all emisions, so should the 2nd o2 sonsor bung go into the y-pipe?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:58 PM

Car: 97 Camaro
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: 9" w/3.50 gears
If you wanna get headers for your LT1. make sure it's for the right year. cause 93's are different from 94 and 95, and so on. i'm pretty sure that you have to get lt1 headers year specific instead of sbc headers. there is a difference. i found out the hard way. now i have a set of headman shorties just lying around. but if anything call and ask hooker techs about it. if they say headers should fit since it's a sbc. and for the o2 sensors, most headers come already witht the bung installed. o2 sensors are on both the passenger and drivers side for my car. before the y pipe. i have pacesetter headers. depending on the year of the engine you could get those ... i forgot what they are called but it 's so you don't need o2 sensors. for like 96 and up engines.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Sleepy Z
If you wanna get headers for your LT1. make sure it's for the right year. cause 93's are different from 94 and 95, and so on. i'm pretty sure that you have to get lt1 headers year specific instead of sbc headers. there is a difference. i found out the hard way. now i have a set of headman shorties just lying around. but if anything call and ask hooker techs about it. if they say headers should fit since it's a sbc. and for the o2 sensors, most headers come already witht the bung installed. o2 sensors are on both the passenger and drivers side for my car. before the y pipe. i have pacesetter headers. depending on the year of the engine you could get those ... i forgot what they are called but it 's so you don't need o2 sensors. for like 96 and up engines.
Yes an LT1 is a sbc and any sbc header will fit the engine itself. The ports on the heads are the same. The only difference is what will fit the body itself. If you drop an LT1 into a third gen you can use third gen headers. As stated before, the only thing to worry about it the 02 sensor bungs. Everything else will work fine.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:09 PM

have you checked this?i'm just wondering cause the regular sbc headers won't fit my 94 lt1. the headers where for a sbc. the exhaust ports are different. or maybe the headers i got where just messed up.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

Trust me. They are the same. The ports are both in the same locations. I dunno why yours didnt fit, but they should have if they were made for a sbc. Did you have problems with them not fitting the heads or just not fitting the contours of the chassi?
Old 07-28-2003, 04:29 AM

Yes i had problems with the sbc headers fitting the heads. You can call the techs from any header company and ask if the sbc headers will bollt up to lt1 they'll say no. i know the lt1 is a sbc but it's different. we can go on forever saying who's right, but i would just call the techs to make sure.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:48 AM
Supreme Member

Yes i had problems with the sbc headers fitting the heads. You can call the techs from any header company and ask if the sbc headers will bollt up to lt1 they'll say no. i know the lt1 is a sbc but it's different. we can go on forever saying who's right, but i would just call the techs to make sure.
Well you did something wrong then. They are not different. The actual exhaust ports on both heads are spaced the EXACT same. The bolt holes are in the EXACT same locations. Everything is EXACTLY the same on an LT1 head except for the reverse cooling. If you don't agree then you can just ask the countless people who have swapped LT1s into their third gens and used 3rd gen sbc headers. THEY WILL FIT! I don't need to ask a tech when all I have to do is ask someone who has actually done it and used 3rd gen headers. BTW, thrd gens have the standard gen 1 sbc which includes gen 1 sbc heads which use gen 1 sbc headers which fit gen 2 sbc LT1 heads. Something was up with the headers you tried to use because they infact will fit both engines. The only differences being that they were made to fit 2 different chassis.

Last edited by 25THRSS; 07-28-2003 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
You made an error, end of story, the exhaust ports are the same. Please stop posting your mis-information.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
25THRSS:

there is no EXACT SBC exhaust port location height.

some castings have it slightly higher

some slightly lower

this is why they put slip fits on the y pipes that you have to weld... its also why some people with modified motors have clearance probs while others dont.

because thoes longtubes are SOOOOO close to everything, the only way to be sure is to measure on the car that they are going on.

you may end up tweaking everything slightly to make it work.

as for the port pattern and stuff, yea they bolt up and seal no prob.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MrDude_1
25THRSS:

there is no EXACT SBC exhaust port location height.

some castings have it slightly higher

some slightly lower

this is why they put slip fits on the y pipes that you have to weld... its also why some people with modified motors have clearance probs while others dont.

because thoes longtubes are SOOOOO close to everything, the only way to be sure is to measure on the car that they are going on.

you may end up tweaking everything slightly to make it work.

as for the port pattern and stuff, yea they bolt up and seal no prob.
Yes, I know this. I was referring to the spacing, not the heights. This is the same for any set of heads, not just LT1. Some are raised, some are lowered. It all depends on what head you have, but the port spacing and bolt holes don't change. They are the same regardless on any gen 1 or 2 sbc. But just to let you know, the slip fit has nothing to do with height. Think about it, height would be verticle, the slip fit is horizontal.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:44 PM

Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 94 lt1 modded
Transmission: t 56
Any sbc header will bolt up to an Lt1. It may not completely cover the "d" shaped exhaust ports but they will bolt up. I have slp 1 3/4" headers on mine. They are square port but cover the d port completely. They are not ideal but they work if good gaskets are used.
Headers designed to work with vortec heads should bolt right up and match the exhaust ports perfectly.
Just my .02
Kory
Old 07-31-2003, 08:02 PM

Kory,

This is what I thought that I had read about. The header not cover the D port on the lt1 head. What is not Ideal about the SLP header? Is there a certain one that would be better.

Later, Mike
Old 07-31-2003, 10:46 PM

Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 94 lt1 modded
Transmission: t 56
The slp header is a 1 3/4" square port header. It makes it hard to get a good seal. I have mine sealed up with a set of earls gaskets (metal /with replacable inserts for an lt1 d port) They seal but leave some material in the path of exhaust flow if not ported. I plan on removing my headers over the winter nad having them tig welded and reground to produce a true d shaped port so sealing and proper flow are not an issue.
I hope this helps to answer your question.
Kory
Old 07-31-2003, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by 25THRSS
Yes, I know this. I was referring to the spacing, not the heights. This is the same for any set of heads, not just LT1. Some are raised, some are lowered. It all depends on what head you have, but the port spacing and bolt holes don't change. They are the same regardless on any gen 1 or 2 sbc. But just to let you know, the slip fit has nothing to do with height. Think about it, height would be verticle, the slip fit is horizontal.

think about it some more...

if a port is moved "up" on a head, when the head is tilted and placed on a block, its at a angle... so it also moves out a tad...

by having that slip fit, you can make up the diagonal wiggle and move it out to mate better....