Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

How do you hollow out a CAT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 05:57 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
How do you hollow out a CAT?

I have a LG4 carbed, with Flowmaster 80 and 2 1/2 all the way back from the CAT? How do I get a Hollowed CAT? Will a muffler shop do this or let me bring one in and they just attach it? Will emmisions be able to tell it's hollowed?

------------------
86 Camaro Black SS Coupe, T Tops, Flowmaster, Custom Paint, Dunlop Road Kings S/R tires, Wheel Country Directional Chrome Wheels,new charcoal & gray interior including seats and door panels, new carpet and headliner, complete front end suspension rebuild, new Valve seals, and more mods to come
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/niterider/86camaro.html
Morgan_Andre@hotmail.com
Old 07-27-2001, 09:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird
Engine: Pontiac 301
Transmission: TH350
Any reputable muffler shop will not hollow your cats nor discuss with you how to do it, or even install a "test pipe" on a street driven car. The EPA has the power to levy huge fines for removing catalytic converters, and most shops shy away from this sort of thing as a result.

That said, if you can get your cat off (if it's bolted, not welded) you can pretty easily hollow it out with a prybar or something else to bang the brick apart.

But why do it? If you're building a max effort racecar that sees no street time, sure. But if you're just building a street car, modern high-flow cats can be had for under $100 and tuned properly you will not notice a reduction in power from using one.
Old 07-28-2001, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Okay, so no hollow but i want that SOUND. Do I add the K&N Open filter(which one?) Will hi-flo give me that sound? Will a Universal?

------------------
86 Camaro Black SS Coupe, T Tops, Flowmaster, Custom Paint, Dunlop Road Kings S/R tires, Wheel Country Directional Chrome Wheels,new charcoal & gray interior including seats and door panels, new carpet and headliner, complete front end suspension rebuild, new Valve seals, and more mods to come
Morgan_Andre@hotmail.com
Old 07-28-2001, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I don't see the huge draw to open element filters (im assuming thats what you meant) when GM still makes and sells the 5.0HO dual snorkle air cleaner which can be bought for a small sum. I would say go for the cold air and get the dual snorkle (it is actually referred to as the 5.7HO air cleaner but the picture of it shows the 5.0HO sticker on it, go figure) if you are buying a new air cleaner.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:09 PM

Dual Snorkle is cool and Better for performance but (if you Have a T/A) there's this really cool throaty sound that comes from the Stock Air intake when you have a K&N I love it!
Old 07-29-2001, 09:14 PM

O $hit I'm Illiterate...you have a carb... Yeah I Would but a Top and Bottom Two Piece Chrome Air Cleaner Kit and Stick a 14 or 15 inch K&N Filter on there. Looks nice too!
Old 08-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

So a Top and Bottom Open Air K & N with a Hollow Cat or a High Flo? Will that increase my power and aid my sound? This one shop wants me to use a universal Cat? Help me fellows. This is one of my planned mods for the summer but I don't know which direction to go in.

------------------
Morgan_Andre@hotmail.com
Old 08-05-2001, 10:22 PM

The intake will increase the underhood sound, but running with no cat(s) will make a wonderful difference. Just have a piece of pipe made to take the place of the cat and clamp it in yourself, and tune your carb a little richer. It will give you the sound and performance increase you are looking for, at least, it did for me.

------------------
1990 IROC 350
Mods: Too busy trying to make it run right to mod it.
Airfoil, Dynomax cat-back, MSD coil, 180 t-stat, Bald Eagle tires,
Hypertech fan switch, Accel 23# injectors, Holley AFPR, ported plenum,
Ported Daytona Yellow stock base, Moroso valve covers, other stuff,
Ruger P95DC, hot wife, new oil filter, thick rubber floormats, no cats.
18.0 @ 85MPH since I'm one big-a$$ MF
"It's better to have and not need than to need and not have."