Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Need help choosing the right exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing the right exhaust

I have an 88 IROC 5.7 with stock exhaust right now. I want to upgrade the exhaust to something that will make the sound deeper and also give it more horsepower. I looked at the flowmaster american thunder series but can only find it with single outlets. Want is a really exhaust system that will pump more sound and power into my car with dual outlets. Also, how much does it usually cost to have an exhaust shop put the system in for you?
Old 05-16-2001, 04:14 AM

The dual outlet muffler that Flowmaster makes is a crossflow type(they do make a dual outlet muffler for camaro's with dual converters--not sure if that's a crossflow). These type mufflers don't produce as much power as the single outlet FM's. The crossflows are also quieter than the single outlet mufflers. FM has different series mufflers and also the delta mufflers. So, each is going to have a different tone and loudness.

My car has FM's crossflow, and it has a nice mellow sound. Good sound at wide open throttle. I wish it were a little louder and agressive.

Borla's adjustable dual outlet system is pretty agressive, and idles louder than the crossflow. Mainly because one exiting pipe/tip comes from the exhaust pipe(that comes with plates with different size openings, to adjust the sound. Of course you're going to pay quite a bit more than FM's system. There's a Hooker Aerochamber muffler with dual outs, but I haven't heard one, so I can't say how they sound.

Labor prices are going to vary from shop to shop. Whether your using a catback system or having something fabricated will also affect prices. If the system uses existing hangers, mounting points, that will keep the cost of labor down.I haven't priced labor in my area, but my best guess for a cat-back system will probably be under $100. So, call around and get estimates and see what works for you.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:08 AM

Your in luck!!!!!!! I just ordered the Flowmaster 80 series from Jegs.com for only 72 dollars. In just an hour I am having it installed for about 120. This installation price includes all new pipes and custom bending as well as puting my tips on. The 80 series is a single in muffler with dual exits for a great look. The sound is compareable with the loudest 40 series flowmaster. It may be just a tad quieter. If you compare the charts of the two mufflers at Flowmastermufflers.com then you will see that the graphs don't really show a difference at all. At jegs.com it says the the muffler will give 30 more horespower and 40 pound of torque, although I doubt that much gain. I talked the the muffler man and he said that the only way to really soup up the exhaust system on third-gen Camaros is to put a Flowmaster 80 series on it, he said he knows people that run true duals on them and they always hit botom all the time and they end up having to replace their exhaust system often. So I hope this helps, but it seems with the Flowmaster 80 series we get the best of all worlds. Great loud sound, great perfomance increases, and last but not least great dual look. I hope this helps, after I get mine installed in an hour I will let you know what I think of it. Good luck with your exhaust.!!!!!!

------------------

1988 Carmaro RS

Bustit.Org

To see more pictures of my camaro, go to Bustit.Org and click on the About me page!
Old 05-16-2001, 11:54 AM

I just got mine installed. It has a great growl now, although I have heard it will get even louder(I HOPE). It is louder than stock and has a great rumble. I also noticed a definate gain in power. I couldn't believe the power that I gained only having to pay like 200 for the entire sytem. I love it!!!

------------------

1988 Carmaro RS

Bustit.Org

To see more pictures of my camaro, go to Bustit.Org and click on the About me page!