Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

installing headers offically sucks, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing headers offically sucks, please help

Alright I ordered TES headers for my 89 305 TBI automatic. I completely have the y-pipe off, and have all but one bolts on the DS manifold off(need to get an allen wrench before taking off last one).

Now brings us to the PS maifold. I have all but 2 bolts off. the bolts are very difficult to get at because of the heat shield. I want to just rip that thing right off. I have a few questions...

1. With the headers, do you install the heat shields back on? If you dont will you have a problem with the spark plugs frying?

2. I broke the casing for some sensor that goes into the PS cylinder head right under the heat shield. I wrapped it in electrical tape, but Im hoping its not broke or its not important. What exactly does that do?

3. Another thing I broke...on the PS the little black box that sits on top of the vavle cover. There is a small plastic tube that runs into it. Well I accidentaly snapped it in half. What does that do? Can I just throw it away or do I need fix it? I suppose I could just tape it back together. Will that be alright and what exactly does that tube do? Emmisions?

I have a big mess with the tubes also, but the bolts came off fairly easy.

------------------
89 camaro 305 tbi, flomaster 3 chamber cat back, gutted cat, Edlebrock open element, and a 160 degree T-stat. 2 kicker comp 12"'s, polk for the rest. Phoenix gold xs2300 to subs, kicker impulse 404XI to 4 speakers, pioneer DEH- P7000R head unit, and finally a 12 disc changer. Full leather interior from [URL=http://www.MrMikes.com[/URL](its nice)

TES Headers in the mail, and about to order a stage 2 fastchip.
Old 04-28-2001, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

1. I didn't re-install the heat shields on my 87 IROC L98 with my TES Headers. To remove them, I just ripped the shields off to get them out of the way.

2. I don't know what the name of the sensor that you are referring to is, but I am sure that if your tape job didn't make the wire connect, the car will throw a code and you will have to replace it. It could be a temperature sensor or something of that nature.

3. I think the thing you are referring to is the Diverter Valve box. What it does is control where to inject the air from the AIR system into the exhaust. It either sends it to the cat(s) or into the AIR on the headers (manifolds). It does control emissions and does need to be fully and properly functioning for the car to have the proper emissions.

Hope I helped, and good luck with the rest of the job!

------------------
1987 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z
L98 TPI 350 (5.7L)
TH 700R-4 Transmission
Borg Warner 7.75" 9 Bolt Rear End

Current Mods: LT4 HOT Cam, Comp Cams 1.52:1 Roller Rocker Arms, Edelbrock TES 1 5/8" Headers, Hooker 3" Aerochamber Cat-Back System, Performance Resource Chip, Accel Ignition Coil, Cap, Rotor, 8.8mm Wires, K&N Filters, JET TPI Air Foil, All Free Mods, Falken ZIEX Z-Rated Tires.

Best ET (w/o LT4 cam): 14.32 @ 97.7mph
(corrected for elevation)

Soon to Come: 7.625" 10 Bolt with 3.42s and Accel TPI Intake Base
Old 05-01-2001, 12:32 AM

The sensor is for the secondary fan, it switches the fan on at a certain temperature I think it is at like 220 or something. I also just ripped the heat shields off when I put on my headers and didn't reinstall them.

------------------
'91 Z28 305, Auto trans, K&N filters, TPIS air foil, power pulleys, ported plenum, hypertech chip, hooker cat back, kyb shocks, STB, SLP 1 5/8" headers, catco 3" cat, 14.7@ 93 mph.