Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Why does everyone here love Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does everyone here love Flowmaster?

I just don't get it... so what, they've got a big name... they're product is crap! First they sound horrid, they're all tinny and hollow, second, the only mufflers that flow worse than flow"master"'s are OEM or OER! Hooker and Dynomax both compete in cost with Flowmaster and they both have higher flow rates and the Hookers actually give you a tiny bit more torque. Then there's Borla and SLP, but if your even considering Flowmasters then they're probably not in your price range. I swear if I hear one more tinny, hollow assed Blowmaster drive by me I'm going to ride his *** until he pulls over and explain to the guy what a moron he is for not getting a good exhaust system (unless of course he's in a beat up old F150, then i'll understand the error in his ways was the inbreeding)

------------------
1986 Z28 LG4 M5
Alpine 6x9's 2 10" MTX Thunder 4000's MTX Thunder 102 Amp Hooker Aero-Chamber Cat-Back
Old 04-06-2001, 12:46 AM

i know if you rode my *** untill i pulled over just to tell me my exhaustsounded"like ****" i'd jump out and kick your *** ...one way or the other!! hands or weapons one way you'd get your *** kicked!! they dont flow ****y if a flow sounds bad it's your pathetic engine!! tune it up or something damn just dont slam flows!! the next car that you tail might be able to whip your *** any day in a race!! and ...probably would!! you sound like ****..not flows!!!.....just go home!!! oh yeah did your daddy buy you that car?? or is that just your beater you drive around when your vette is getting worked on by someone because you dont know s h i t about cars?!!

------------------
89 firebird formula

356 10.5:1compression
comp cams xe262 cam
performer rpm intake
#1405 edlebrock 600
sportsman 2 heads 64cc 2.02/1.60 valves 200cc intake runner
msd 6al
h.e.i. proform 50,000 volt vac. advance ditributor
700r-4 with 3.08 first gear and 3.23 posi 7 5/8 rear end.
b trans shift kit(will kill shifts...suck dong!!)
shorty heddman hedders with custom 3" pipe y-pipe back(no damn cat!) with 40 series flowmaster!

future mods: 406 roller REALLY REALLY REALLY RADICAL!!!!!

[This message has been edited by burnoutrpm (edited April 05, 2001).]
Old 04-06-2001, 01:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with him. Flowmasters sound like crap. I like the sounds of many different mufflers better, and I know that flowmaster is not the best flowing out there either.
Old 04-06-2001, 01:50 AM

Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: 6-speed
I used to really like flowmasters until I got one and discovered that they sound like crap on an otherwise stock IROC. It sounded really bad for the first few weeks but it sounds decent now. Still not what i want but a lot better than the flat hollow puny sound it had before. It sounds really good when I wind it up though. Strangely enough, it sounds good only in warm weather only, not in cold weather. I wonder what's up with that?

But seriously speaking, I wish Hooker's Aerochamber was available in a cross-flow design. I wouldn't have even given the flowmaster a second thought then.

------------------
'88 IROC 305 TPI
Crappy 700R4 slushbox
Gutted airboxes
180 degree T-stat
Advanced base TPS voltage
Relocated IAT sensor
Momo steering wheel (gotta luv it)
Ram-air setup coming soon
Flowmaster muffler (puke)
Taylor SpiroPro wires
Accel cap and rotor
Ported plenum
Kills: '94 Z28, Olds Aurora V8, bunch of Mustangs, T-birds, ricers, and others who assumed a 12 year-old car would be too slow.
Old 04-06-2001, 02:04 AM

Car: 86 z28
Engine: Hyd. roller 498
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.90 gears
I disagree with all of you except burnoutrpm. I actually decided recently to go with Flowmasters cuz I have heard them. I asked around for good mufflers and Flowmasters got alot of good marks. Just recently I heard some nice sounding exhaust from a thirdgen Z , I asked the guy what mufflers he was running and told me they were flowmasters. He was running headers, and true dual exhuast that might of had something do to with the geat sound but they sounded awesome!

------------------
Big 454 72 Chevy Nova
383 86 Camaro Z28
10.5:1compression 186 casting Heads,234dur.488lift exh&int,Edelbrock performer intake, Holley750 vac.sec 400 crank,flat top pistons,edelbrock valve springs and lifters,tranny shift kit,kickdown kit and tranny oil cooler. Will install 3.73's later on and might go with a more aggresive cam.
Old 04-06-2001, 03:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Flowmasters just plain suck on the flow chart for a performance muffler. The only thing they got going for them is a better sound than stock.
Old 04-06-2001, 09:56 AM

I'm agree to say that flowmaster guve a great musclecar sound. But for the air flow, why they call it "flowmaster"??? They should have call it "soundmaster". Other mufflers like hooker or dynomax ultraflow flows twice as flowmaster and they are cheaper than flowmaster...

------------------
89 L98 GTA
- Custom made air induction
- Headman Hedders (t.e.m.s.)
- Dynomax Race Magnum muffler
- TH700-R4 with vette servo and Superior shift kit
- All the rest is stock
-------------------------
Soon: Spohn SFC
Old 04-06-2001, 11:47 AM

Car: 86 z28
Engine: Hyd. roller 498
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.90 gears
Just an observation but if you look at the sig's on everyone that replied you notice that the only ones with good torque and horsepower are the ones that like Flowmasters the others(with 305's)don't like the flow or sound of the flowmaster. It's not like a muffler is supposed to be your only mod. My 383 is making good tq and hp so i don't worry about a muffler killing a good percentage of my power. I went for a good quality sounding muffler "the FlowMaster". Now would any of you run glass packs(yuk!)on your Camaro just cuz it flows better? More than likely not .

------------------
Big 454 72 Chevy Nova
383 86 Camaro Z28
10.5:1compression 186 casting Heads,234dur.488lift exh&int,Edelbrock performer intake, Holley750 vac.sec 400 crank,flat top pistons,edelbrock valve springs and lifters,tranny shift kit,kickdown kit and tranny oil cooler. Will install 3.73's later on and might go with a more aggresive cam.
Old 04-06-2001, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: Can you say stroke?!?!
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Yeah, like stated earlier, they just perform better all around. Now when I first got my Z, I was givin advice and heard things like your stating, so I bought the Hooker muffler. Sounded OK but after a year it didn't sound all that great. The F****** packing inside the muffler burnt up. Then when I went to take it off I noticed one thing that I have never noticed on either of the Flowmasters that I put on....RUST! The damn thing rusted like you wouldn't believe. After that I swore NEVER to use a Hooker muffler ever again. I've seen and heard about the same things with Dynomax and a couple of others. I just think that the Flowmaster is a better quality muffler. But hey, if you don't like Flowmaster, that's your thing.

------------------
'91 Z-28 5.7, SLP 1 3/4 headers, 4 inch Mufflex/Flowmaster cat back, gutted cats, Edelbrock intake, 8.5mm Jacob wires, MSD Blaster coil, S&W subframe setup, Jacob Pro Street Ignition, complete Kenwood system.
Old 04-06-2001, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
I have both a Flowmaster setup and a Hooker setup on my thirdgens. They now both have headers as well. The Hooker system is on a carbed 350, the flowmaster setup is on a 305 TPI (w/ a better cam, ported plenum, computer chip, etc).

The Hooker system is better all the way around IMO. It sounds better, and IMO it looks better w/ the quad tips. The flowmaster system doesn't sound bad at all though. Especially now w/ the TES headers, it sounds very nice. It doesn't have that typical tinny hollow flowmaster sound that I personally think sounds like *** . Maybe it is because it is the crossflow style flowmaster, and not the straight in/out design. Anyway, it sounds mean, but the hooker system is alot meaner (some of that may be the 350 vs 305 thing, but the Hooker has just a better tone all the way around that I don't think is related to engine size)

As far as rust I've have my Hooker system for over a year now and the muffler itself doesn't have a damn spec of rust on it, still black. The flowmaster system is older, but the muffler isn't in too bad of condition, light surface rust on the muffler but nothing bad.

The flowmaster system will be replaced w/ a Hooker system at some time in the future...

------------------
Ray87Z
-Vortec headed 350.
86 IROC w/ a cammed 305 TPI.
Formerly Ray86IROC.
www.inter-scape.com/Ray
Old 04-06-2001, 08:12 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

I don't love it but I do love it being louder than stock. Its only hollow and tinny if the exaust is too big for your setup. My main priority was getting it louder than stock and getting my '99z28 tips on. There aren't many other muffler options unless you do a whole catback. Hookers muffler is 2.5" dual 2.5" out. You can only get the 3"in dual 2.5" out if you get their catback. Dynomax looks like stock and probably isn't much louder. Edelbrock, too much $ and I heard they aren't that loud. SLP, I don't like 2 on the left. Borla, I tried really hard to get my friends friends catback but I was out of luck. My friends got Magnaflow catbacks on their 4thgen and they sound kick *** . www.magnaflow.com

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS-6
[soon to have Hooker 1-5/8" 50 state legal headers installed]

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, Milodon 160* thermo, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Super GRK_Taz World
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz
Old 04-06-2001, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
U guys should have heard the Flowmasters I have. I haven't heard anything better, even better then the high priced Borla, or dual exhaust.

I've only heard sound files of the Aerochamber and IMO they can't compare to a Flowmaster.

------------------
Looking For:

87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
The car I want.

84 TRANS AM 305 H.O.
Another car that would be OK to own while I still look for the IROC-Z!!
Old 04-06-2001, 10:54 PM

I love the sound of the flow masters.. don't get me wrong, they aren't any big performance piece.. that's where the cutout comes into play.. make a bigger sound.. and eliminate that damn muffler..

------------------
Hey feel free to chat with me on AOL IM if you wanna.. Darkhal2000! Also if you wanna join my webring gimmie a yell at my email addy. I'm always looking for third gen's to add.
My site, http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/m/jmj211/index.htm
Old 04-07-2001, 12:50 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by burnoutrpm:
i know if you rode my *** untill i pulled over just to tell me my exhaustsounded"like ****" i'd jump out and kick your *** ...one way or the other!! hands or weapons one way you'd get your *** kicked!! they dont flow ****y if a flow sounds bad it's your pathetic engine!! tune it up or something damn just dont slam flows!! the next car that you tail might be able to whip your *** any day in a race!! and ...probably would!! you sound like ****..not flows!!!.....just go home!!! oh yeah did your daddy buy you that car?? or is that just your beater you drive around when your vette is getting worked on by someone because you dont know s h i t about cars?!!

</font>

OK, so the chasing him down and bitching him out was a bit overkill, but you get my point. And I actually have paid for my car and everything in it with my own money. I also think everyone else that has replied shot down your comment about them not flowing horribly, every test I've ever seen in GMHP, Car Craft, CHP, or any other reputable magazine shows Blowmaster cat-back systems just above OEM in every performance category. I also don't care if some car w/ flows could beat my *** in a race. I know I've got an LG4 I know its pathetic, thats why once I've got about 2G's saved I'm getting Vortec heads, a mild cam, new intake, new carb, Hooker Super Comp Shorties & a catco 3" cat. The simple fact is if you want performance DON'T buy flowmaster, but its a very small minority of people that understand that for the cost of a Flowmaster cat back you can get a Dynomax, Hooker, or Edelbrock cat back and get a lot better sound and performance out of it. A Flowmaster system for our cars is anywhere from $230 to $340 depending on which system you get, Edelbrock's are $275, Hooker is $260, and Dynomax is only $170... so if you wanted the top of the line Flowmaster, you'd be paying more than you would for 3 other systems that equally configured would beat it... does anyone else see the idiocy here?

------------------
1986 Z28 LG4 M5
Alpine 6x9's 2 10" MTX Thunder 4000's MTX Thunder 102 Amp Hooker Aero-Chamber Cat-Back

[This message has been edited by Jason86Z28 (edited April 06, 2001).]
Old 04-07-2001, 01:19 AM

where did you get your information about flowmasters not flowing well? there are alot of mean cars out there that run them. oh and if you think flowmasters sound bad, it is probably cuz you heard them on a stock motor with stock manifolds. my 305 has TES headers and a flowmaster and it sounds great. the bottom line is, if you think that flowmasters sound bad, it is probably cuz the car didn't need them. go to the dragstrip where the real motors are and listen to flowmasters on a motor that needs them, you will eat your words. there is nothing that sounds better than a 11 sec. car leaving the line with dual flowmasters howling as he launches. that is not an opinion, it is a fact.

------------------
86 IROCZ
T-Tops
700R4
305 TPI
3.23 gears
shift kit, manual TC switch, manual fan switch, flowmaster exhaust with edelbrock TES headers& hollow cat, gutted MAF.
Old 04-07-2001, 01:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by raging86:
there is nothing that sounds better than a 11 sec. car leaving the line with dual flowmasters howling as he launches. that is not an opinion, it is a fact.

</font>
Actually, that is an opinion. I have heard great sounding flowmaster with headers, very loud though. Around here we call it "flowcrappier."
Old 04-07-2001, 01:44 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by burnoutrpm:

</font>
are you ok?

Old 04-07-2001, 05:23 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by raging86:
where did you get your information about flowmasters not flowing well? there are alot of mean cars out there that run them. oh and if you think flowmasters sound bad, it is probably cuz you heard them on a stock motor with stock manifolds. my 305 has TES headers and a flowmaster and it sounds great. the bottom line is, if you think that flowmasters sound bad, it is probably cuz the car didn't need them. go to the dragstrip where the real motors are and listen to flowmasters on a motor that needs them, you will eat your words. there is nothing that sounds better than a 11 sec. car leaving the line with dual flowmasters howling as he launches. that is not an opinion, it is a fact.

</font>
First of all, the real motors don't run mufflers, they're open headers. Second of all, those 11 second passes could be even quicker if they used a real muffler instead of a Blowmaster/Flowmiser

------------------
1986 Z28 LG4 M5
Old 04-07-2001, 06:53 PM

You guys ever heard the term advertising gimmick? Depending on what ad/article you read in what mag, you will see that all mufflers come out on top at one point or another. You think you can believe everything you read in the car mags, think again. How do you think the mags can afford to perform all those "tests" that they do without the mega-buck advertising $$$? It not from subscriptions. I personally have Hooker Aero Chambers on a very modified 406 and like the subtle sound until the LOUD pedal is on the floor.

In the end it's up to person laying down the $$$ who decide what they want. But don't get me started on why everyone feels they need a 3" exhaust sys. Talk about a waste of $$$.

[This message has been edited by offroader (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old 04-07-2001, 07:35 PM
Administrator

OK....

In this comparison, the Flowmaster flows 300 CFM, and the Borla (suppossed to be 1 of the best flowing mufflers) flows 350 CFM. Yeah, really big difference guys.

roader, I'd like to hear your opinions on 3" exhaust.

------------------
Looking For:

87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
The car I want.

84 TRANS AM 305 H.O.

[This message has been edited by IROCZTWENTYGR8 (edited April 07, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by IROCZTWENTYGR8 (edited April 11, 2001).]
Old 04-07-2001, 09:33 PM

Car: 05 GTO, 88 GTA, 98 SS
I have the 80series Flowmaster on my 305TBI. Sometimes I like the sound, sometimes I dont. I want something else though, cause really I'm sick of the sound. The muffler would probably sound better on a 350. But to all you TBIers: YOU MUST GET AN OPEN-ELEMENT AIR CLEANER! It makes the car sound SO much meaner!

------------------
91 RS
Black w/ red tweed
t-tops
14x3 Open Element
80 Series Flowmaster
350TPI or Buick Turbo6 swap this summer

88 GTA
Red with grey cloth
K&N Filters
TPIS Airfoil
Old 04-07-2001, 10:39 PM

Car: denali truck,91b4c,82pacecar
Engine: 6.0,5.7.5.0
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 4.10,3.55,3.23
big hp=flowmaster
Old 04-08-2001, 01:45 AM

I don't think that Flowmaster is a waster of money. Mine sounds great w/ the stock manifolds and dual cats. WHAT IS REALLY A RIPOFF IS DYNOMAX! I used to have one on and it wasn't hardly any louder than my stock muffler. It SUX!!. Flowmaster may not be the best but it's one of the tope five. And in my opinion its up there w/ the Hooker Aero Chamber and Edelbrock. Long Live Flowmaster.

------------------
1989 Iroc-Z. 305TPI 5spd, G92 (230hp/300ft/lbs). 91-92Z28 groundeffects. Corvette Admiral Blue Metallic paint. Thermomaster chip, 160*stat & fan switch, Bosch +4 plugs, MAF screens removed, custom ram air, Flowmaster cat back, K&N, adj. fuel pres. reg.
72,000 miles. SWEET!!
Old 04-08-2001, 02:45 AM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: treefitty
Transmission: stick
WHO GIVES A FLYING HORSE'S A*S HOW IT SOUNDS!!(I know, I know, many folks do)But I think one should care more about performance gains from a muffler rather how it sounds. If you make a pathetic 16 second car sound more like a 12 second car than you're just pouring perfume on a pig.In have a flowmaster+TES headers and I got more "sound" than I need. I would love to have a really quiet car, while keeping all the performance of a loud one.But hey,I guess I'm funny that way.
Another thing: Flowmasters sound great,they're as free flowing as your unit after a six-pack and I noticed a kick-a*s performance gain after I installed it.
Nuf said.

------------------

1990 Formula
Factory:TPI-305/Dual Cat(230hp),5 Speed,3.42 rear, Dealer:Aluminum Drive Shaft
Mods:SLP air foil,K&N Filter, Accel:wires,coil cap,rotor.Hypertech Thermomaster chip,Stat,Fan switch,TES headers,MSD6AL,AFPR(46), Harwood fiberglass hood,original GM "Notchback GTA" hatch.
Flowmaster 3" Cat-back exhaust,TB coolant bypass, Centerforce clutch (going).
Old 04-08-2001, 10:37 AM

I just have a muffler shop exhaust on my car.. and i don't plan on changing it anytime soon. And it has a 3 chamber flowmaster in it. It sounds good. When I went to look at the car, I saw the tips, and almost turned around and drove my *** back home. But when I fired it up, it didn't sound like the **** I've come so used to hearing when flowmaster tips are seen. It's not hollow and annoying. It's not a huge performance piece, but hell my 92RS isn't fast anyway. When I graduate college, the RS will get fast, and the flowmaster will get scrapped.

Anthony
Old 04-08-2001, 08:42 PM

I dont see how anyone can say a dynomax sounds better than a Flowmaster! i had a dynomax on my car when i bought it, and man did it suck! sounded stock. I love the sound of my 80 series. only thing i could see getting a dynomax for would be if you were making a sleeper and wanted the car to sound stock.

------------------
89' Firebird Formula WS6 L98, MSD 6AL MSD Blaster, Hypertech chip, K/N filter cone,flowmaster 80 series, hypertech air foil, koni shocks, edelbrock trailing arms

more to come soon.....
Old 04-09-2001, 03:25 AM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
I'm not much into the exhaust world right now but I think some of you have got to be more laid back. So he said flowmasters don't flow as good and HE thinks they should like ****. So far that chart has proved his first point and I think his second is just an opinion. Let me tell everybody my experience with the flowmasters, borla, slp, etc.
My car never had flowmaster but at the track there are a bunch of 350 and 305 thirdgens running them and I think they sound like junk. My opinion is they don't have a low enough tone, it's almost as bad sounding as my current system (cat and 3" exhaust to a 2.5" outlet adaptor NO muffler). I'm waiting for Borla to send me the correct muffler this time. Anyways, my friend with his 69 camaro ran the American thunder system and it sounded really loud ad idle and wasn't too loud when he got on it (forged 370hp 327 dart iron eagle heads etc). He swapped for dual exhaust with flowmasters and has the pipes dump right after the rear axle. It ISN'T loud at idle but when he gets over 3000 it sounds like it wants to kill kill kill. I guess that's the typical flowmaster sound, quiet from idle to just off idle/cruise and super loud at WOT. I don't like that, it makes your car sound like it's got bigger ballz than it really does. There is nothing more fun than running a quieter car and beating the other guy. Too many people confuse sound with power and it's getting on my nerves. My personal experience with exhaust and thirdgens: Edelbrock TES, SLP tri-y full 3" exhaust, stock manifolds (LG4), Headman headers/y-pipe, Borla adjustable system (Tim has this on his 14.2 ET 305 TBI stock cam and I had it on my 86), and Dynomax Superturbo mufflers, oh yeah, and open exhaust. Borla wins my vote, nothing better than having a high performance muffler system that you never have to worry about, the adjustable plates are also really cool. If I couldn't afford that I would go with the Superturbo muffler. Under $40 and it sounds really good and is a high performance muffler. Sure it'll eventually rust but so will the other non stainless mufflers (flowmaster aka flowblow ). I think if I couldn't afford Borla I would go with the cheapest high flow muffler I could find, that would be the superturbo for most of you. Not enough credit is given to them for making a high flow muffler so cheap and it sounds really good. Not too loud and idle/off idle 2000rpm sound GREAT. Open exhaust is giving me a headache, it's like I'm inside of a subwoofer box. That's not a fun drive, at least I don't think it is. Then again I like AC and cruise control so I must be one of those weird thirdgen owners that likes the creature comforts . As for the sound of headers, they all sound 10 times better than any exhaust manifold and the performance is NOTICEABLE (unlike most muffler changes).
Don't be immature and start cracking on a popular product with such indiscretion. We're all basically on the same team so stop with the #$%(*$#% and flaming replys, it's no help.
------------------
, Jon (350 TBI! getting 23mpg highway)
91 Red RS w/grey int, sq stereo (Alpine v12, kicker solo, MB quart premium etc)AIM: JPrevost
  • Holley 670 TB unit w/ 1/2" spacer/adapter
  • Edelbrock RPM vortec intake
  • 350ho 330hp vortec crate motor
  • 8" harm. balancer
  • Stewart stage 2 water pump w/160 thermo
  • SLP tri-y headers to full 3"
  • Rebuilt trans w/ SLP shift kit
  • Centerline 16x8's all around
  • 36/24 mm sway bars
  • Full poly bushings, even motor mounts
  • SLP LCA and panhard
  • Alston SFCs
  • Edelbrock 3 point STB
  • Global west steering brace aka wonderbar
  • Eibach pro kit springs
  • Bilstien high perf. struts and shocks
  • All this and I still have AC
My websiteAny questions?

[This message has been edited by JPrevost (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 12:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '91 Z28
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 323's
Can I ask if anyone has run an SLP catback on a third gen 350? I have the stainless headers (not installed yet ), and was considering the SLP catback as well. I have the dual cats on mine also... I don't want a loud as hell exhaust, but I do want a nice low rumble... your opinions? Thanks...

KAM
Old 04-10-2001, 12:11 PM

Old 04-10-2001, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thunderstick:
Can I ask if anyone has run an SLP catback on a third gen 350? I have the stainless headers (not installed yet ), and was considering the SLP catback as well. I have the dual cats on mine also... I don't want a loud as hell exhaust, but I do want a nice low rumble... your opinions? Thanks...

KAM
</font>
I have the SLP Catback and prefer it to Borla and Flowmaster. Plus it is stainless steel and gets louder with age. I also ran the hose into the exhaust pipe and filled the muffler with water, then went for a spin to blow allof the packing out. It is now loud enough for me!

Old 04-10-2001, 01:05 PM

Car: 1990 iroc
Engine: 350 tpi
dude I would love to see some one ride my *** and pull me over to tell me that. I know when I got out they would shut there yap. this stuff kills me. who cares if you don't like the sound of flowmasters. don't buy one. it is called personal opion. everyone is different. there are flowmaster mufflers are cars that run very fast et's so they don't flow like **** they just don't flow as well as others. for the same reason you hate them I love them. they sound unique and I think they just sound mean. I just think it is funny you come to board of car enthusists and say things like "sound like sh*t" I love the sound of a v8 with all kinds of mufflers on them. what would you rater have a honda boy those sound bad *** don't they. lets put it this way I have just never been told my pickup or chevelle sound like ****. maybe it is the 500hp and not the flowmasters but even your gay a*s would probably like the sound of either one of them.

------------------
"I don't trust anything that bleads for five day's and doesn't die"
88 iroc slp headers,borla catback,procharger to come soon.

[This message has been edited by gearrrhead (edited April 10, 2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 01:55 PM
Banned

When I had my 350 I originally had the Dynomax on it, until my Brother put the Flowmaster on his. Then I had ot have one. Hell I always got asked what the hell was under the hood. The low tones was like a bass drum kicking it was ohhh so sweet.
Though I would never put flows on a V6 because the tones from a V6 just dont mate well with the flow master sound muffling design. They would sound like **** on a V6 so my turbo will not be getting Flows, it will be getting Borla probably. Mayby SLP if they make one that fits the Turbo V6

------------------
89 Trans Am Turbo 3.8L All stock 43,000 miles #1053 of 1555

Past Thirdgen:
86 Trans Am w/ built 355TPI with SLP goodies and too much other stuff to List. One sweet *** car, wish I would have had a good enough Job to pay insurance on three cars so I could keep it, but for a 89 Turbo Trans Am w/ Low miles, I think I made the right choice!
Old 04-10-2001, 02:19 PM

Engine: turbocharged 4 cyl Dohc
Transmission: 5 spd sentronic
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But to all you TBIers: YOU MUST GET AN OPEN-ELEMENT AIR CLEANER! It makes the car sound SO much meaner!

[/B]</font>
that is sooooooo true iLOVE THE SOUND MY BIRD MAKES WITH THE OPEN k&n ON IT

------------------
91 firebird vert
tan top&interior
305/700r4&lt;br&gt;MY SITE HERE
Old 04-10-2001, 04:09 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
What is with everybody wanting their cars to sound like 800hp BBs? I just don't get it. Flowmaster sounds good if you like sounding like you've got 100more hp than you really do. I think I must be a sleeper at heart. I love the ford SHO for that exact reason, deep exhaust, great sounding intake and boy can it move. I like it when a quiet car spanks the loud one. Kind of like what american cars do to coffee can ricers. A v8 sounds like a v8 and I love the low rumble with a good cam but WHY do you all want to sound like you have more hp than you do? Does anybody have any more dyno results on muffler flow ratings? I'd like to know more about the performance because THAT comes first before sound. Too many people get this idea that sound = more power. That's such BS and too many novice guys think this way. I'm always going to be a borla and SLP guy but I still liked my superturbo $35 muffler. Great sound and high flow for a great price, I couldn't have been happier with it's 3 years of dependability.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI! getting 23mpg highway)
91 Red RS w/grey int, sq stereo (Alpine v12, kicker solo, MB quart premium etc)AIM: JPrevost
  • Holley 670 TB unit w/ 1/2" spacer/adapter
  • Edelbrock RPM vortec intake
  • 350ho 330hp vortec crate motor
  • 8" harm. balancer
  • Stewart stage 2 water pump w/160 thermo
  • SLP tri-y headers to full 3"
  • Rebuilt trans w/ SLP shift kit
  • Centerline 16x8's all around
  • 36/24 mm sway bars
  • Full poly bushings, even motor mounts
  • SLP LCA and panhard
  • Alston SFCs
  • Edelbrock 3 point STB
  • Global west steering brace aka wonderbar
  • Eibach pro kit springs
  • Bilstien high perf. struts and shocks
  • All this and I still have AC
My websiteAny questions?
Old 04-10-2001, 04:19 PM

I've got a 305 and I'm getting new dual exhuast and I am getting flowmaster series 40 mufflers. I love the sound. My brother has them on his car and it sounds awesome. He has 350 with 375 hp. He gets so many comments on how sweet his car sounds. I dont care what anybody else thinks, I love the sound of them.

87 Firebird Formula

Old 04-10-2001, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Dude, if u don't like nice sounding cars, especially cars with Flowmasters, then don't get them, and let every1 think your car is a V6 or whatever instead of a powerful V8.

They are musclecars, they are supposed to sound like that.
------------------
Looking For:

87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
The car I want.

84 TRANS AM 305 H.O.

[This message has been edited by IROCZTWENTYGR8 (edited April 10, 2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 11:02 PM

muscle cars are supposed to sound good, not like a fat guy farting through a tin can...
Old 04-11-2001, 02:57 AM
Administrator

"muscle cars are supposed to sound good"

and thats how Flowmasters sound. If they don't, u didn't get the right 1, or the pipe size isn't right. They do sound best on a 350 though.

There are more that like Flowmasters than not, and there is a reason why every1 gets them, because they sound better than anything on the right setup.

------------------
Looking For:

87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
The car I want.

84 TRANS AM 305 H.O.
Old 04-11-2001, 05:32 PM

I really don't think any v8 w/ and exhaust system sounds like crap. They are all unique and have their own elements of good sound. But those fu**ing honda's with 1 big fat muffler sound like total $hit!! I think they all should be shot dead for trying to make a 4 banger sound good.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

I hate Flowmaster, on any car. They're loud, obnoxious, and there are better flowing mufflers out there anyways. I'd much rather have a quiet car with tons of power, than a loud car with the same power.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:49 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: NWC T-5
I got SLP catback on my 305tbi. You can hear it on the sounds page. It sounds good. A nice low rumble outside and no resonance inside when you're cruising. It is one of the best flowing systems I've seen and it is only a single exit pipe.

I think flowmasters would be fun for about a week, then the abnoxious sound coming out of them would annoy the hell out of me. And I have to drive it daily. It makes the car sound faster than it is.

Another downside is it is made of aluminum crap not stainless steel so it rusts away especially in the NE with the road salts and other chemicals poured on the roads.

Just my opinion.

------------------
1989 Camaro Convertible RS
dark silver w/black top
305tbi, auto, 2.73 posi
SLP exhaust, 16x8 black GTA rims as soon as I get them
Check out Phil's Rice Boy Page
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Those who wish harm on others are weak souls</font>
Old 04-12-2001, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
one day when I was 15,my buddies and I were drinking southern comfort,my other friend rolled up in his mint condition '89 IROC Z28 with the new flows on it,it sounded f*NG awsome!!! this dude we were drinking with,was so exited to hear this 5.7l beast roll up,he jumped up and fell off a twenty foot wall and craked his head right open. he was bleeding all over and it was disgusting but the flowmaster sounded really good on that camaro.

I'm sorry fella's,but, a 3" mandrel bent Borla w/ the 3" escape baffle open, will out flow any flowmaster system (good up to 450 HP) how many people here are running over 450?
Old 04-13-2001, 05:57 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 1986 305 C.I.D. Bored .030 over
Transmission: TH350 W/Shift Kit
Axle/Gears: 3:08
just putting in my .02 i have flowmaster with headers on my 305 and i love the sound (no cat either, im allergic )

------------------
1983 CHEVROLET CAMARO with a 1986 305 C.I.D.V8 BORED .030 OVER, HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP,FLAT-TOP PISTONS
MILD CAM, EQUAL-LENGTH HEADERS, 3" CAT BACK EXHAUST W/ FLOWMASTER MUFFFLER, KEYSTONE CLASSIC WHEELS, TH350 TRANNY , B&M MEGA SHIFTER
STAGE THREE SHIFT KIT(she'll spin em into third)

"Wise man once say, friends dont let friends drive Fords!!"
Old 04-13-2001, 09:29 PM

truly i say screw mufflers......i dont run one and my car sounds awesome....i'll just sit and listen to it for a minute or two...i just sounds too sweet....i also have a open element....didnt notice much sound after adding OE but oh well.....the tip is resonated so it screams above 3 grand....it is louder than the chevy 350 trucks with flowmaster duals.....but not as loud as some cars with headers...it's just a sweet sound...i'll get a sound clip set up so you can hear it if you want....im not going back to a muffler unless johnny law tells me otherwise..... oh yeah my exhaust cost me less than 50 bucks....lees than what you paid for one flowmaster.....ah ha j/k

------------------
1991 RS LO3
mods: 14" chrome air cleaner, straight-piped after cat exhaust with one chrome dual tip on the left side.
future mods: headers, removing smog equipment, and as many cheap mods as i can find
aol s/n: budman8503

GONE MUSTANG HUNTING.......
BACK IN 10 SECONDS
Old 04-13-2001, 09:31 PM

truly i say screw mufflers......i dont run one and my car sounds awesome....i'll just sit and listen to it for a minute or two...i just sounds too sweet....i also have a open element....didnt notice much sound after adding OE but oh well.....the tip is resonated so it screams above 3 grand....it is louder than the chevy 350 trucks with flowmaster duals.....but not as loud as some cars with headers...it's just a sweet sound...i'll get a sound clip set up so you can hear it if you want....im not going back to a muffler unless johnny law tells me otherwise..... oh yeah my exhaust cost me less than 50 bucks....lees than what you paid for one flowmaster.....ah ha j/k

------------------
1991 RS LO3
mods: 14" chrome air cleaner, straight-piped after cat exhaust with one chrome dual tip on the left side.
future mods: headers, removing smog equipment, and as many cheap mods as i can find
aol s/n: budman8503

GONE MUSTANG HUNTING.......
BACK IN 10 SECONDS
Old 04-15-2001, 09:58 PM

You know I'm really tired of people cracking on Flowmaster. The fact that so many have them is a testament to their quality. The airflow rate may be slightly lower but I feel that the great sound is worth it. Alot of people call it "tinny", I've never once had someone say that about my car(see signature). I get lots of compliments about its bada$$ sound. Low and rumbly at low RPM, loud and mean at higher RPMs. I have a friend with a 79 Vette with a L82 350, he has a high dollar($500) Borla exhaust(dual pipes, cats removed, Borla mufflers), and I get more compliments on my $250 single pipe Flowmaster system. I felt a definate perf. increase too. So please, give Flowmaster a break, they are good stuff.

------------------
---Grady---
1984 Berlinetta.
LG4 305, 170 hp.
Rochester Quadraje(Comp. Controlled)
TH-700R4.
Flowmaster 80 series/ 3" cat-back pipe.
Accel Superstock Coil.
7.5 10-bolt rear/ 3.08's.
Edelbrock signature series air cleaner -w- K&N Filtercharger.
Pioneer head unit, Pioneer front 4X6's, Cerwin Vega rear 6x9's.
Daily Driver.
Old 04-15-2001, 10:04 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jovialevil:
I really don't think any v8 w/ and exhaust system sounds like crap. They are all unique and have their own elements of good sound. But those fu**ing honda's with 1 big fat muffler sound like total $hit!! I think they all should be shot dead for trying to make a 4 banger sound good.</font>
I really like his opinion. In my city all the kids have those d@mned 4 bangers with the pissed-off-bumble-bee exhaust. Lets just all agree that ANY V8 with ANY exhaust sounds better than that!

------------------
---Grady---
1984 Berlinetta.
LG4 305, 170 hp.
Rochester Quadraje(Comp. Controlled)
TH-700R4.
Flowmaster 80 series/ 3" cat-back pipe.
Accel Superstock Coil.
7.5 10-bolt rear/ 3.08's.
Edelbrock signature series air cleaner -w- K&N Filtercharger.
Pioneer head unit, Pioneer front 4X6's, Cerwin Vega rear 6x9's.
Daily Driver.
Old 04-15-2001, 11:55 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trigger84:
You know I'm really tired of people cracking on Flowmaster. The fact that so many have them is a testament to their quality.</font>
Yeah, and everyone uses M$ Windows cuz it's such a quality product.... pwahahahahahaha

Anyway, i had dual FM's on my Chevelle ('74 hopped up 350) and i got rid of them because of the constant droning when cruising around. At idle, great - at WOT, great - any other time F'ING annoying unless you like headaches. Could just be the ones i had (42553's), but i like my SuperTurbo's a lot better, and one of these days i'll go UltraFlo... Can't beat stainless!

-Rich
Old 04-16-2001, 09:46 PM

ALL MY FRIENDS AND HAVE DIFFERENT SYSTEMS, DYNOMAX, HOOKER SOME OTHERS, AND I GOT FLOWMASTER, I GET THE MOST COMPLIMENTS AND MINE MADE THE BEST IMPROVEMENT AT THE TRACK!
Old 04-17-2001, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

The only reason you guys are getting "compliments" is because your exhaust MAKES it's presence known because it's loud. Personally, I don't like loud, but maybe that's just my style. It's stupid to say that you have to have loud if you have a big engine. Should I walk around w/ a shirt on saying "I HAVE A BIG ****". I'm sure I'd get lots of remarks about that too. What I like about Dynomax is that if you LISTEN to it, it really does sound nice, but it doesn't annoy you by MAKING you know that it's there.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone here love Flowmaster?