Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Why does everyone here love Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
Heres another comparison for u guys

[This message has been edited by IROCZTWENTYGR8 (edited April 17, 2001).]
Old 04-17-2001, 11:31 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
From reading all this jazz I've come up with some good notes. Most of the guys that have flowmasters probably haven't had anything else on the car except OEM.
I like how some of you guys post that superturbo mufflers sound great. The price and name doesn't mean $%&#!!! It's called marketing and many young guys want their cars to sound like it's got 450+hp. It's the common mistake of sound means it's powerful. That is such BS, my L03 sounded great at idle with no muffler and it sounded crazy at WOT, that means nothing about power. So I think we've cleared that issue up. I'd like to have a poll on the ages of the guys with flowmasters and the guys with other exhaust systems. There are some exceptions and some guys do like the sound but like it's been said before...it's only sound. The comment about ", and let every1 think your car is a V6 or whatever instead of a powerful V8"~IROCZTWENTYGR8, what are you talking about? If I drove up and my car had a nice rumble to it I don't think I'd CARE what others thought. The only people I care about are the people inside the car (no headaches from exhaust) and the guys I race!!! I don't go around trying to pickup girls with the car and if I did I would want them to be able to hear me over my exhaust (that's not sexy). You guys with flowmasters can keep them, I don't really care, this is my post (I didn't say thread) and I'm going to say what I think from experience. Try a superturbo, SLP, and Borla. Yes you might pay $140 for a Borla 3"in/out muffler but SO WHAT!!! that isn't going to kill your bank account considering you won't have to buy a new one ever again and the idea that you can sell it if you don't like it for 75% resale.
Loud toys aren't always the most fun, try driving in a quiet car that has lots of hp, sometimes it can be even more fun because you can hear yourself think!
That statement about "...so many have them is a testament to their quality." is a joke. It's like somebody else said about Microsoft Windows, or how about ford!!! Since they sell more Mustangs is that because they look better, sound better, performer better than an f-body...NO NO NO!!!
Trigger84, you probably get compliments because you did a good setup, single muffler in/out usually makes more hp. The dual look is for looks, not sound. Now would YOU race the vette with the LG4? That is my point. It might sound "better" but it's just loud. The one idea I'd like to make clear is that all exhaust sound different. The Flowmaster design tries to cancel most of them with it's baffles. They aren't custom tunned for most applications and that is when they sound "tiny." The best part about a high flow (no baffles) is that it just absorbes the sound into heat and it gets rid of the really obnoxious tones WITHOUT changing the real/original sound of the engine. That is the real reason why most mufflers sound the same and the flowmasters sound so radical. Personally I think it's a cool idea but they really need to work on the design. All they really block is upper rpm sound to stay legal. If they would spend some of there money on development and not marketing they would have a better product and maybe...MAYBE, I'd get one. Why aren't they stainless? They're a huge company, why can't they make a stainless version at least??!?!?!!! It's all a marketing thing, they're out to make the biggest profit and they are doing it. Companies like SLP aren't all about profit, they figure a good product will get good reviews and will sell itself. Same with Borla, that is why I'll always be a fan of both companies and couldn't give a rats as$ is Flowmaster disappeared.
That is my view on this, sorry if I came off as a jerk but I'm sticking to my guns.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI! getting 23mpg highway)
91 Red RS w/grey int, sq stereo (Alpine v12, kicker solo, MB quart premium etc)AIM: JPrevost
  • Holley 670 TB unit w/ 1/2" spacer/adapter
  • Edelbrock RPM vortec intake
  • 350ho 330hp vortec crate motor
  • 8" harm. balancer
  • Stewart stage 2 water pump w/160 thermo
  • SLP tri-y headers to full 3"
  • Rebuilt trans w/ SLP shift kit
  • Centerline 16x8's all around
  • 36/24 mm sway bars
  • Full poly bushings, even motor mounts
  • SLP LCA and panhard
  • Alston SFCs
  • Edelbrock 3 point STB
  • Global west steering brace aka wonderbar
  • Eibach pro kit springs
  • Bilstien high perf. struts and shocks
  • All this and I still have AC
My websiteAny questions?

[This message has been edited by JPrevost (edited April 17, 2001).]
Old 04-17-2001, 11:32 PM

dp

[This message has been edited by JPrevost (edited April 17, 2001).]
Old 04-17-2001, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i Agree with JPrevost.!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2001, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Dude, why are u getting so crazy with this!! I like exhaust that sounds 1 way, u like another. My preference just happens to be the more liked opinion for guys with musclecars and u seem not to get this.

If u don't like a cool exhaust sound, thats OK!! I like it!! U like an exhaust that u can't really hear, to me and the majority, thats not really impressive. Guys don't say, "cool, that car is fast and it doesn't sound like anything!!," but when some1 hears a car that sounds like a fast car(and most likely is a fast car), guys say, "cool, thats a fast car, and it sounds really good too!!" Nice sounding cars get attention, cars that don't, don't get any. My 2.8 V6 sounds good and many have thought it was a V8 at idle and lower RPM, and even though its good to hear that, I know the difference in sound, but it is impressive for a V6. I like a car that sounds powerfull, and when I get this 87 IROC-Z 350 TPI, its going to be an 11-12 sec. or better car with the stuff I'm gonna do, and it will sound like it, loud, muscular, fast, and powerful, like a musclecar should.

------------------
Looking For:

87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
The car I want.

84 TRANS AM 305 H.O.
Another car that would be OK to own while I still look for the IROC-Z!!

Old 04-18-2001, 01:33 AM
Administrator

I also think that with the flow comparisons I have posted on this topic for every1, show that Flowmasters don't flow that much less than others that many thought were flowing lots of CFM more. In both, the difference has been a 5-50 CFM difference, thats not much guys, and when u get the sound of a Flowmaster, I'm taking the Flowmaster. It won't keep me from running 11's-12's or whatever else I want.

Old 04-18-2001, 09:39 AM

Sorry if I came off getting crazy but I just don't understand why anybody would want their car to sound like something it isn't. Maybe I'm just one of those guys that doesn't want my daily driver mistaken for having a v8...I don't know, probably just me. For less money you can get a higher flow muffler that sounds great.
I don't hate Flowmaster because in some cases they work great but most of the time they don't. You say more people with musclecars like flowmasters over my preference. That really doesn't prove anything except that it's good marketing. Like I said before, too many people mistake sound for power. I guess it's about what kind of people you want admiring your car. Personally I like it when the guys I respect comment on my car for everything complimenting each other. It would be imbarrising if they asked how much hp and I had to say it's v6...They'd probably follow that up with "you gotta get that exhaust leak fixed" lol. Sorry, just pulling your chain, no hard feelings.
BTW: The Flowmaster American Thunder Dual Exhaust Systems sound great with a 370hp 327 in a 69 maro.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI! getting 23mpg highway)
91 Red RS w/grey int, sq stereo (Alpine v12, kicker solo, MB quart premium etc)AIM: JPrevost
  • Holley 670 TB unit w/ 1/2" spacer/adapter
  • Edelbrock RPM vortec intake
  • 350ho 330hp vortec crate motor
  • 8" harm. balancer
  • Stewart stage 2 water pump w/160 thermo
  • SLP tri-y headers to full 3"
  • Rebuilt trans w/ SLP shift kit
  • Centerline 16x8's all around
  • 36/24 mm sway bars
  • Full poly bushings, even motor mounts
  • SLP LCA and panhard
  • Alston SFCs
  • Edelbrock 3 point STB
  • Global west steering brace aka wonderbar
  • Eibach pro kit springs
  • Bilstien high perf. struts and shocks
  • All this and I still have AC
My websiteAny questions?

[This message has been edited by JPrevost (edited April 18, 2001).]
Old 04-23-2001, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
(fact)ahh poo (opinion)flowmaster is good. (fact) my car had straight headers. 355, comps 292 cam, aluminum heads 2.02/1.60, forged Al. pistons, all the goodies. (opinion) it sounded good like that. (opinion) now it sounds better with its duel Flowmaster 40 series exaust. dumps under the passenger and driver seat. (fact) this cause me to HAVE to replace my windows with plexy glass. (fact) the exaust was so radical and thumpy it started hairline cracks in my windows (fact) my car runs better ET's with this duel flowmaster exaust than it did with straight open headers. (opinion) flowmasters are good. (opinion) everyone should get flowmasters. (fact) my tranny blew up cuz i have too much horsepower. (fact) piff... n'uff said?