Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Header WRAP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Header WRAP?

Has anyone else used header wrap? I used it on my headers and I like it a lot. It doesn't look as good as stainless headers but I like the idea of keeping underhood temps down. Just wondering.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
header wrap is not good because it does the job too good of keeping the header hot and allowing the gas to escape.
what it will cause your headers to do is over heat and turn brittle and crack, and need to be replaced.
not good unless you plan of replacing your headers every year.
biker
Old 11-24-2002, 09:02 AM

That is not good They have been on there for about 2-3months now and they we're a headache to put on!
Old 11-24-2002, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont forget that your headers will rust with the wrap also. They trap the heat AND moisture in. You should just think about getting them JetHot coated. I just bought a set of Dynomax headers and will be sending them to get coated.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
I didn't read the above replies.

The wrap voids warranties, think why that might be.

one, it can speed up corrosion
also it's a fire hazaard, oil that may leak on them has known to catch a car on fire.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:40 AM

I've seen this thread pop up before, never bothered to post until now.

As for header wrap voiding header warranties, that's true. But has anyone actually ever read the warranty on headers? It's basically covering DEFECTS in workmanship. I've YET to see a header company warranty rust through or any other stuff for more than a year or so.

That being said.....

I've run 3 different cars on the street using header wrap. 2 of them are STILL being driven by other owners with NO problems.

The main purpose of high temp coating is to reduce underhood temps, and of course alot of people think they look good as well. That's the same purpose behind header wrap.

IF you wrap a header that's unpainted or painted with normal paint, I'm sure it could rust faster, but it's going to rust in most climates anyway.

If you blast the headers, then paint with a high temp paint like VHT, or POR 20, and CURE the paint before install you'll be okay.

DEI ( who manufactures header wrap ) also now sells a silicone based spray coating that comes in black and silver. This is designed to protect the headers wrap and seal it up tight.

I know ALOT of people running header wrap on street and strip cars with no ill effect, so don't let that scare you off. It's all about what you want.

ALTHOUGH, I've changed plugs on a car that had Jet Hot coated headers, and they were still too warm for comfort ( at the track ), and I could change the plugs on my 383 w/ header wrapped longtubes at the track, and it never did burn me.

It's all relative I guess.

$180 + 20 or so for shipping to coat headers. They DON'T warrantee used parts beyond a year, and I've known ALOT of people that have to keep pulling 'em to get 'em recoated under warranty. You have to be careful working around them, as a dropped bolt or wrench WILL chip the finish.

$70-80 for header wrap ( 2 rolls ) another $10 for the paint, another $10 for clamps.......

If you have cheap, thin walled tubing headers, I might worry about the wrap. Otherwise, I wouldn't let this sway you from not getting header wrap.

HTH
Old 12-01-2002, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
ctandc is rigth, if header wrap is applied properly to properly prepped headers it wont hurt anything, and it will lower under hood temperatures. the key thing here is the proper header prep and application of the wrap. as ctanc said, use VHT and then bake the headers in like the BBQ or something. and after appling the wrap, seal it with the silicone spray. do a search here on the subject and i think you will find a more detail prep precedure.

and mark....any oil that gets on the headers wrap is gonna smoke off not start on fire. the header wrap is designed to be put on hot headers....its not gonna start on fire. have you ever even used header wrap and/or seen how it is properly applied? maybe you should realize that if used properly it does what it is suppose to do. its a cheap alternative to header coatings, which also do what they say. anyway, just cause mark doesnt like a part doesnt make it bad. oh yeah whats your modded 350 run, mark? 15s....
Old 12-01-2002, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by darbleinad

and mark....any oil that gets on the headers wrap is gonna smoke off not start on fire. the header wrap is designed to be put on hot headers....its not gonna start on fire. have you ever even used header wrap and/or seen how it is properly applied? maybe you should realize that if used properly it does what it is suppose to do. its a cheap alternative to header coatings, which also do what they say. anyway, just cause mark doesnt like a part doesnt make it bad. oh yeah whats your modded 350 run, mark? 15s....
I'd like to know who is gonna apply it right unless it's their job, and they've done it a million times.

And about the oil, I'm just going by what a fellow member on the boards had happen to him.

hey, why the hell are you attacking me, I found out the problem with the car, the carb was all messed up, I'll tell you what it's runnin in the spring.. JERK.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:28 PM

Man, sorry didn't mean to start anything. I have had the wrap on mine for a little while and so far so good. I guess if it makes the headers fail that will give me an excuse to buy the stainless ones . Never expected to use header warranties anyhow.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
its not that hard to apply it properly...just takes a little longer thats all...but its well worth it if you want to lower under hood temps and cant afford coated headers.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by darbleinad
its not that hard to apply it properly...just takes a little longer thats all...but its well worth it if you want to lower under hood temps and cant afford coated headers.
Yeah true, I guess I should hav said I didn't have first hand experience, I never said for him not to get it.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 200C
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Header Wrap is for racing applications. It keeps the heat in the headers and keeps the under hood temps down, which is a good thing, but they will rust very easily.