Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

is anyone here CURSED with a borla cat back??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 12:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
is anyone here CURSED with a borla cat back??

I installed headers and Borla cat back on my car last year the guy that set up my muffler welded it crooked. then I had to "undo" the welds with a sawzall and reassemble with some clams and new pieces(long story) bottom line: I cant get this #$%$#^ thing on strait WTF I've seen an '89 GTA with borla tips nicley centered and parallel to the ground,why does my car always have to be a ragmobile,what gives?
Old 11-08-2000, 03:56 PM

At least your still drivin, mine is still #$%@%$ up, It'll be the 3 weekend of workin on it, I have to straighten the exhaust out some more, cars can be such a pain, just keep at it dont accept defeat, you'll win in the end.
Rob
1990 Formula 350
Old 11-08-2000, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by junkyarddog:
I installed headers and Borla cat back on my car last year the guy that set up my muffler welded it crooked. then I had to "undo" the welds with a sawzall and reassemble with some clams and new pieces(long story) bottom line: I cant get this #$%$#^ thing on strait WTF I've seen an '89 GTA with borla tips nicley centered and parallel to the ground,why does my car always have to be a ragmobile,what gives?
it seems i have to tweek the passengers side tips every now and then .but its still worth it

------------------

1991 Formula WS6 305 TBI
K&N 14x3" Open air supercharger accel- 8.8's,coil,cap,rotor,module.
poly's here and there.
245/50h16 255/50zr16
catco cat 3"
Borla 3" cat back
more to come
Old 11-08-2000, 05:55 PM

Exhaust seems so easy, yet its such a pain in the marbles. Make sure your cat is straight off the y-pipe, it can get crooked like a rustang hitting nitrous because it hangs from a rubberish loop thats bolted to the frame. My suggestion would be tear it up from cat back and start w/ the muffler, make sure you put the holding brackets for the tips on the right way or it will look off line. Good luck. Just be happy you dont drive a ford.

------------------
"Ever notice how imports sound like weedwackers"
Old 11-08-2000, 10:37 PM

what do you guys thing of the sound of the borla system. i'm asuming you have the one wher on goes through a mufler and the other has restrictor plates. i'm thing of doing a simaler system with my curent 3inch exhust

------------------
when the green flag drops the bull$hit stops

350,performer RPM intake ,650dp, 700r4, headers, 3inch exhast
Old 11-08-2000, 11:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
I just had two leaks fixed today,it seems the rubber hanger on the transmission gave way,over stressing the clamp joints which I never had welded. I think the guy left the pipe sagging when he welded it because I'm scrapping every where I go. I looked underneath and sure enough the lowest parts of the int. pipe(the bolts on the clamps) aren't even an inch of the ground!! despite the set back I still plan on lowering my ride 2" with some hard core reinforced suspension goodies As for the Borla cat back,it does sound really good, I leave it closed and it's still so loud I can't hear myself think. I get ideal backpressure and it sort of gives it a smooth tone like the fourthgens. opening the baffle is almost uneccessary unless your using your upper rpms all the time,however I did get some amazing milage,22mpg,with the plate open on a coast to coast road trip.once I get these on strait they will be well worth it!