Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

MagnaFlow vs. Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z - original owner!
Engine: LB9 with K&Ns, MSD, Foil, Taylor
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.45 posi
MagnaFlow vs. Flowmaster

Opinions please. Car is an 88 IROC with 5.0 TPI and 5-speed, single 3" cat. My stock muffler and tailpipes have rusted through. I already have a hi-flow cat installed, but now I have to replace the muffler and tailpipes. I'm looking at trying to keep it stock looking with a crossflow muffler, so, which one? The Flowmaster 80 series or the MagnaFlow? Which one flows better? A local dealer that sells both recommends the MagnaFlow. Both have a 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets, and the Mag looks like a straight=through design kinda like a glasspack, and all welded seams, lifetime warranty. The Flowmaster looks kinda cheezy in comparison. What say the experts here?? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i'd pick the stainless one, if one is stainless that is. otherwise consider that a glasspack style( if the magnaflow is a glasspack) will hold moisture and rot faster that the FM and glasspacks get louder as they wear out.