Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

hooker catback instalation

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hooker catback instalation

i just got my hooker cat back, but im waiting for some other stuff to come in before i can instal it. i know there is a problem with a missing hanger or something like that to mount the muffler?? i was jsut curious to what everyone did to get around this problem. im trying to plan it out so it wont be to bad of a headach when i go to do it.........also, this has the 4 bolt cat set up, and i was gonna put a slip fit cat on it, anyone have ideas on doing that? i was just thinking cut the flange and slip fit it in and clamp it?

Ryan
Old 06-28-2002, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
hey fattie, next time you see my car look under it, I have a 'slip fit' pipe for the cat, I cut the flange "butt end" of the old cat and welded it to the cat replacement pipe, that way I kept the cat hanger in tac. the only problem is a kinda 'chicken welded it' and is started leaking at the welds, so I had to jb weld it a little.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:26 PM

As far as the missing hanger goes, mine was the pass side. I just cut off the hanger from the factory tailpipe, drilled 2 holes in it, and bolted it to the tab that is welded on the hooker tailpipe. It was a very easy fix, and best of all, free. I've had my system on for 8 months and over 10k miles with no problems yet. I didn't have any part of the system welded (but maybe I just got lucky). One thing you might consider is to adjust your pipes with the suspension at full travel. The way I did this was by putting 400lbs of weight in the hatch, while the car was on ramps. then just crawl under and tighten 'er up. I don't get any rubs or bumps on the axle.
Old 06-28-2002, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

im gonna get under there tonight and take a good look just so i can plan this out. im probly making a easy thing into a drawn out complicated thing.