Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Flamethrowers....revisited..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flamethrowers....revisited..

Well just watched Monster Garage and saw them running flamethrowers on the mustang GT. For a fuel source they had a small propane tank, one that u would use for camping grills/lanterns, etc. Being that it is pressurized you don't need to deal w/ a separate pump, like you would if you used a liquid fuel.... and also no need for any injectors, just a straight connection to the exhaust w/ some spark plugs. Also, propane burns relatively cleanly so the plugs wouldn't foul that easily.....plus the canisters are relatively cheap and can be bought at almost any store.

Only problem i can think of is figuring out a way to start/stop the fuel flow. I was thinking perhaps the remote bottle openers used for N20...but my question is how fast do these things work?? I'd want to be able to have fuel flow within a second or so of pressing the button.

Lastly, anybody know how hard it would be to get these canisters filled with a different type of fuel?? It'd be neat to be able to change the canisters to produce different color flames

Just toying with the idea as I thought it'd be pretty neat. Throw some feedback at me and let me know what you think.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
haha I watched the same show, and I was just trying to figure out how to light the spark plug, I got the propane thing down
Old 06-25-2002, 09:25 AM

just attach a coil to the plug and wire an on/off switch to it and you should be set.... check the other post like this - they go into detail on which coil to use i believe..

...so what's your idea for the propane set up? Please share
Old 06-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I'm just gonna do the same as they did, with a valve right on the tank, probably have the tank behind the passenger seat (access) and have the lines go under/behind the rear seats, over the "hump" to where the jack and spare used to be. at that point I'll have them go under the car to the tail pipes

if I was only good with computers i'd draw a pic
Old 06-25-2002, 04:14 PM

that'd work, but i think it'd be a bit safer/easier to have an automated valve or somethin that you can flip on/off. Anyone know if you could install some sort of remote valve that you install on the fuel line, somewhere between the fuel canister and the exit??
Old 06-25-2002, 04:43 PM

haha that would be pretty sweet to be able to shoot some flames at some mustangs as you leave them in the dust... just hope you can keep your bumper from dripping off the back of the car as it melts.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: Formerly - 87 T/A, 87 Bird.
How would you rig these things up though, like where would you have the fuel lines go to and the spark plugs mounted at?
Old 06-29-2002, 09:53 PM

That's neat. I never thought of using propane. My son has flamethrowers hooked up on the dual exhaust for his '66 Nova.
He uses gasoline though for his and ignites it with a sparkplug mounted two inches inside the exhaust pipe before the tips. He has it hooked up to another ignition coil and uses an on/off switch to fire the coil. He uses a fuel solenoid like you get in a NOS kit to send gas to the exhaust pipes. He got the idea from watching that movie "GREASE". I thought he was goig to blow himself and his car up when I saw him doing this, but he also got instructions on how to rig everything from off the Internet. Pretty neat at night.
Old 06-30-2002, 07:42 PM

Car: 92 Camaro
Transmission: 700R4
The answer

Well guys and gals, I'm feeling generous. Plus, I’m kinda of tired seeing people guessing at what might work. Before I start, attempting to build a flamethrower system can kill you. And, not just a nice happy death, but you can either be flame broiled to a blackened crisp or a massive explosion that sends shards of metal through your body kind of death. One more thing, this is adult stuff, so kids just don’t. Now, with that out of the way. My brother and me tackled this problem about a year ago. It took about three months before we had a reliable system that would fire off every time. It really isn’t that hard. And the system was made from surplus parts. And, yes, the system will shoot flames from little ripples of flames to those monstrous flames. It all depends on the jetting. And, with proper control of the velocity and pressure of gases, you can control the color of the flame. And while we did it the most simplest and dangerous way possible, it still is cool to see a person’s eyes get 4 times bigger when the flames come on. In fact, one time my brother decided to light it off in front of wal-mart on his way out. When he left the parking lot, he had six people following him waiting to see him do it again. And the cop story, my brother went through a fairly major intersection with the flames on and at good speed. He shut them off as he got about a block away from the intersection. About five-minute’s later cops and a fire truck went flying past him. Apparently someone called on a cellphone to the fire department that a truck was on fire at the intersection he just passed. This project attracts attention more than anything else you can do. Good and Bad attention. You can also melt the back of car. My brothers fiberglass roll pan has melted paint on it. The constant maintenance is a big negative as well. You must check it every time before you go out cruising. However, if you still want to do this. Here is what I did:

The website with the pictures and video
http://exhaustflame.tripod.com

The rough draft of the book I had planned to sell.
http://exhaustflame.tripod.com/book.htm

A better explanation of how flames were made in the old days.
http://exhaustflame.tripod.com/fe.htm