Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

random technology vs. pacesetter vs ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 01:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
random technology vs. pacesetter vs ????

My crystal ball says that a new catback is in my near future. If my current round of engine mods gets this pig to finally run right, it'll be time to replace my 2.5" dynamax super turbo super junk catback. I really fell in love with how Zepher's 305 sounded with that pacesetter catback, but that had a lot to do with his way-too-big-for-a-305 camshaft. I've heard bad things about the pacesetters not holding up well. The random technology seems to be the same basic type of small-muffler catback, and everybody seems to love it. Since I doubt 1 3" catback is going to make any major difference between another 3", my main interest is the sound. I want that metal on metal, deep sounding rumble. Before mark screams "Hooker", I'll throw that out right now. I hate the dual tips on each side.

Another thing that I'm considering is to just get a 3" intermediate pipe, a dynomax bullet muffler, and tucking the driver-side tailpipe up under the ground effects so that you don't see it.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: random technology vs. pacesetter vs ????

Originally posted by Jim85IROC

Another thing that I'm considering is to just get a 3" intermediate pipe, a dynomax bullet muffler, and tucking the driver-side tailpipe up under the ground effects so that you don't see it.
I've always wanted to hear what that sounds like, when I was thinking about getting a diff. car thats what I was gonna try on it. I think Guido has a setup like that dosen't he?
Old 06-05-2002, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine has the random tech cat back and man does it sound bad *** at WOT. At idle it has a nice low rumble, but when you get on it man it sounds sweet. His name on here is FIRBIRD he has the 330 horse crate motor with SLP tri Y headers. Pace setter is ok I heard it dont last long. Another option is the hooker cat back. If I had to choose I;d proly go with hooker my self since thats what I have on my car now, but havent ran it cause im swapping to lt1 intake.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I just hate the cheezy hooker tail pipes. I mean, they look nice, but I don't think it fits the image of my car. Another thing I'm considering is to put the dynamax bullet muffler near the front of the intermediate pipe and splitting the pipe over the axle, ala slp loudmouth, then using a pair of stainless LT1 tail pipe tips. Nice clean appearance that goes well with the square camaro appearance, and hopefully a killer sound. After hearing Tom Keliher's car in his burnout vids, I'm going to have to see what he's got for an exhaust.

Of course, all an exhaust does is make it loud. It's the engine and cam that makes the music.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Of course, all an exhaust does is make it loud. It's the engine and cam that makes the music"

Its nice to finally hear somone realize that. Thank you Jim, you've always seemed like you have your head on straight.

It gets old (sorry, I'm making a stereotype here) when all the new members with 170 HP TBI motors (haha look in the mirror I know) ask whats the loudest exhaust they can get cause they want it to sound mean and loud and feel it in your chest and intimidate everyone. I keep saying HP = Noise but some people never pick that up. All a muffler does is adjust volume and to some extent tone. No muffler will make a mild engine sound like a stock car.

*I'm done venting now, its been a bad week*
Old 06-07-2002, 09:28 PM

i like the way my SLP cat back sounds. its has very deep, smooth sounding note and scream's at WOT.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:07 AM
Supreme Member

I agree the SLP sounds good, but not for the price. If I had to have a SLP exuast I'd get the loud mouth, but I still recommend the hooker cat back.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
pace setter sux

rust, fit, sound like tin can, warp and so forth are the problems that I have heard about

they SUXOR BAD DOOD
Old 06-11-2002, 10:43 PM

Car: '03 S-10/ '87 Trans Am
Engine: mild 350
Transmission: TH350
Originally posted by HrdRockA4305
"Of course, all an exhaust does is make it loud. It's the engine and cam that makes the music"
Actually, there is not much differance in my friends 305 TPI and my 350 carb'd engine. We both have the Mac 3" Cat-back (only two people in Missouri I know that have it on a f-body). Our cars sound a lot alike to the untrained ear. After you hear both cars for such a long time you can easily pick up on the subtle differances in the tone.

I love the Mac system, the fit was dead on, sound is the best I've heard...of course we all like differant tones, just like speakers, so I'll try to figure out how to make an exhaust clip and get it online. If I had to explain the sound I'd say it is very raspy and growly. It sounds nothing like Flows or Borla, maybe a little like Dynomax except deeper and again raspier.

Later,
Matt