Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Help with Hooker catback install

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Hooker catback install

I've been messing with this stupid POS for way too long. Wasted my entire day off. Anywho-

There's NO POSSIBLE WAY these tailpipe "hook up to existing hangers."

On the driver's side, I have to hook a wide, flat hanging hook (nearly an inch wide) to a tailpipe with a bracket that has a SMALL hole (3/8"?) on it. The bracket sits vertically and comes off of the pipe at the 10 position. It's nowhere NEAR the mount to begin with.

On the passenger side, I have a totally smooth tailpipe (that I had a HELL of a time getting to slide into the damn muffler) with no hangers or brackets or anything. This pipe needs to hook up to one of those short rubber mounts with a wide, short hole in it. You know, for a hairpin shaped bracket (that was welded to the old tailpipe) to slide through.

I know I ordered the right kit for my car, I made sure of it so I wouldn't have any issues. The tailpipes are marked "LS" and "RS" so I got them both on the correct sides.

The smooth one can be hung if I move the driver's side bracket to the passenger side. When I tried that, however, the passenger side pipe was pointed 2-3 inches too high, I wouldn't have been able to get the tip on. Switching brackets did nothing for the driver's side, however.

What can I do? I suppose new mounting brackets are in order.

I need to see pictures of the hangers used to mount this system, or some other advice for getting this POS to work.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:50 PM

Is there any way you can post a picture of the 2 tailpipes and the rear section of the I-pipe.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Where is Mark Shields when ya need him?? after he gets here, all your problems will be solved
Old 05-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: Canfield 195 headed 358ci
Transmission: TH350, Art Carr 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 3.92 Dana 44
I had this problem with my kit. The tailpipes they provided were not the correct ones for my car. The driver's side lined up with the stock hanger but the passenger side was completely different than stock. I went to pep boys and bought a bunch of different hangers and bent/drilled the heck out of them until I came up with a easily removable bracket that fit right.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
dang fattie, you beat me to it

Maybe Mark got to see the outside today
Old 05-23-2002, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

i think mark had a shop weld on a hanger for him....not sure though... its good to know this problem cuase im getting this cat back,, i hope it sounds good!! but im gonna do away with the quad tips. i like the look of the 2 3.5 inch crome tips that go all the way back till you cant see them anymore!!
Old 05-23-2002, 09:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Here I am. Yep, needed the shop to weld a hanger on the pass. side.

Sorry guys, I won't be on as much, just got back from college (T1) always connected, now I'm on 56k, plus there's more to do here. There goes my post whoring.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
mark cracks me up
Old 05-24-2002, 07:06 AM

Car: 1987 Iroc Z "Classic Roc"
Engine: 5.7 350
Transmission: Auto
Don't bother getting it welded. Go to Home Jerko (Depot) and buy a really thick "L" bracket and bolt it to the brace on the exhaust pipe. Then you can stick the other end right into the rubber hanger. The Driver's side should be pretty simple. I just unbolted the old "L" bracket and used a bolt I had laying around. Slid that bolt right through the rubber hanger and the bracket that was welded to the new pipe. Just rig it up man! :lala:
Old 05-25-2002, 01:17 AM

The exhaust that I took off was rigged on Basically the smooth pipe had another exhaust clamp on it, and that was hooked to the big flat hook hanger. Worked, didn't rattle, I'm gonna to it again but with a universal hanger so the tip isn't pointing into the already melted rear bumper plastic.

I went to a GM dealership (I know a guy on the inside, get all my stuff for dealer cost :hail: ) and had them bring up the diagrams for the hangers on these things. According to the picture the single bolt bracket was used on the driver's side in *dual cat* cars. I ordered one of those brackets, should have it tomorrow- I'll let you guys know.

Of course, the $3 autozone universals should work just fine too