Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Bad Popping Sound in Exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Bad Popping Sound in Exhaust!!!

I just had my Tri-Y headers, 3 inch cat, and SLP cat-back installed. The shop that installed everything said that I need to replace the spark plug wire on the #3 cylinder because it was way too close to the header. I took it back a couple days later because I heard what sounded like a rattle snake listening from the inside of the car and I thought it might be an exhaust leak. He went over the entire thing and said there was no exhaust leak but that the #3 cylinder was firing just outside the exhaust port right inside the header tube and that replaceing the plug wire should take car of it.

Today I replaced about 4 plug wires with new one's so that all of the wires would be 90 degree ends for header clerance. I then started the car and it didn't quite sound right so I had a friend stand behind my car while I luanched at about 1/2 throttle. HE SAID HE HEARD POPPING JUST LIKE CAPS GOING OFF COMING OUT OF THE EXHAUST TIPS. We did this 3 times and each time he heard the exact same thing, he said it sounded like those little plstic caps filled with gun powder that you hit with a rock on the ground going off, only under throttle though.

We checked and double checked all of the spark plug wires and they are all in there perfectly, not a single one touching the header pipe.

Please help me!

Last edited by 92GTA; 05-08-2002 at 09:51 PM.