Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Does exhaust come into the car with a cutout (or dumped exhaust, i.e. duals)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does exhaust come into the car with a cutout (or dumped exhaust, i.e. duals)?

I'm going to do my dumped dual exhaust next weekend, but I started thinking about exhaust gas coming into the car. I plan on turning the turndowns outwards and then downward enough to clear the SFCs--it will basically be like dual cutouts.

Do exhaust fumes come into our cars with cutouts or dumped exhaust? People that have them, do you ever smell exhaust, or do you smell like exhaust? I will rethink my strategy if the exhaust comes into the car.

Also, people with duals, have you tried different turndown angles? I would be willing to put up with more drone if it meant that exhaust wouldn't enter the car.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:57 AM

you get lots of fumes in the car and it will irritate your eyes for the first day or so till you get used to it. then you wont even notice it. and if you drive around for like 30 minutes you WILL smell like exhaust. this is all from my experience.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
i plan on dumping mine in 2 weeks. i did have a cutout after the ypipe before the cat facing towards the middle of the car and drove around all summer with that thing open. i NEVER smelled exhaust and NEVER smelled like exhaust. that is my personal experience. i know people with dumps right before the axle and they have NO problems with fumes. i would only rethink your plan if your commutes in the car involve long traffice jams
Old 05-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
I have my cutout right before the axle and I've never had any problems. The exit is pointed out the side of the car.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by primer84z
you get lots of fumes in the car and it will irritate your eyes for the first day or so till you get used to it. then you wont even notice it. and if you drive around for like 30 minutes you WILL smell like exhaust. this is all from my experience.
That's horrible! Are your turndowns/cutour pointed downward, inward, or outward? You know that exhaust gasses are not just "irritating," they are poisonous. While the concentration may not mess you up at any one time (although it sounds like it did for a bit), long-term exposure is dangerous.

Synapsis and brodyscamaro, sounds good. I think I'm going to take the pipe as close to the outside of the car as I can. I just have to stay inward enough that the pipes won't get crushed on lifts.

What about just pointing the pipes back and downward, like just being angled down somewhat from being straight back? Has anyone tried this?
Old 05-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
that is what most people do. just run some pipe after the mufflers that points down and towards the outside of the vehicle
Old 05-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2006 Tacoma X-Runner
Engine: 4.0L DOHC V6
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3:15 LSD
I don't ever smell my exhaust or smell like my exhaust with my cut-out. I have it pointed downward and a little to the side. I think as long is it is pointed down or to the side you should not be able to smell exhaust. Only if it is straight that fumes might creep in.